Bristol large animal teaching... Watch

Rebbers
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Someone told me recently that Bristol had received a bad report for its large animal teaching from the rcvs...
is this true or just an exaggerated rumour?
xxnikkixx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Rebbers)
Someone told me recently that Bristol had received a bad report for its large animal teaching from the rcvs...
Ive heard that 2 from a few different sources...apparently they didnt meet RCVS standards somehow! Rumours do tend to get out of hand tho!
tiny_tiger
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes it is true, and I do have that first hand from someone with good authority, not just hear say, but no-one needs to be worried. Bristol is still strong in other areas and they simply have to update/change some of their facilities and methods with RCVS guidance. No big deal at all, its still a great vet school. Its not so much of a bad report, more that the RCVS have suggested changes to keep the highest standards.
ch0c0h01ic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Rebbers)
Right, lets tell a little story.

Now the RCVS people were looking around Bristol vet school, they liked what they saw, excellent teaching, good facilities, etc and they actually gave Bristol an extremely good report. However, they said that in the future, Bristol would need to revamp/increase the size of it's dairy unit, etc to meet the demand of the students coming through, plus the new demands put on teaching/the profession. They said that if these areas weren't addressed, then in future years they may lose their RCVS accreditation, not now, but in future years time (ie; around 5-10+ years).

Bristol accepted this and has since started spending hundreds of thousands of pounds redeveloping and improving facilities while planning new and better facilities elsewhere for future projects.

Here comes the juicy bit. This report and conversation was among some highly trusted and influential people within the vet school, and one of these people ran off to the media with false stories of how Bristol is losing it's accreditation, yadda yadda yadda.

Do you seriously believe that one of the best vet schools in the country is going to let itself lose it's accreditation, lose it's volume of students and lose it's volume of investment? No certainly not. Who remembers the stories of how Nottingham wasn't going to get accreditation? From what i hear it is something which happens regularly enough over the years to each of the vet schools to keep them on their toes.
Annaconda
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yeah at the open day bristol were going on about how much theyre improving their facilities and how uch new stuff their building at the moment.
They even said that their dairy farm was currently opperating at a loss so theyre going to improve it.
i wouldnt worry at all
Maverick Vet
Report 10 years ago
Look at this, towards the bottom...

http://www.vetschool.bris.ac.uk/news...ews040308.html

They told us that the dairy farm at Wyndhurst is going to be rebuilt with robotic milking machines.
ch0c0h01ic
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Annaconda)
yeah at the open day bristol were going on about how much theyre improving their facilities and how uch new stuff their building at the moment.
They even said that their dairy farm was currently opperating at a loss so theyre going to improve it.
i wouldnt worry at all
...but if they're running a dairy unit for educational purposes, why is there a need for it to be profitable?
karate_kat
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That's the same with reaseheath college, their pig farm if relying on the meat industry only, would be at a loss, but because they need the pigs for educational purposes, it doesn't matter that they make too much of a loss.
ch0c0h01ic
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by karate_kat)
That's the same with reaseheath college, their pig farm if relying on the meat industry only, would be at a loss, but because they need the pigs for educational purposes, it doesn't matter that they make too much of a loss.
Bristol doesn't actually have a pig unit, they haven't for years. Whenever they need some for a practical they go out shopping and/or borrow some from one of the local farmers.

Also, from what i hear Hartpury college is going to lose it's pig and maybe even it's dairy unit as well.
karate_kat
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sorry, I should have put that clearer, I was just trying to make a point that farms in general (whether it's pig, poultry, dairy, etc.), if used for educational purposes, doesn't need to make a profit, agreeing with what you said earlier.
And I never realised that Bristol doesn't have a pig unit, but I don't think that will make any difference overall to the course, and how good it is.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.86%
No - but I will (101)
7.62%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.86%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (632)
47.66%

Watched Threads