Oxbridge/UoL (UCL & LSE) MPhil/MRes/PhD chances w/ 67% UG but Distinction masters

Watch
chtt99
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi there,

I'm strongly considering applying for MPhil Intellectual History & Political Thought at Cambridge, and the DPhil Politics course at Oxford (also contemplating cognate MRes/PhD courses at UCL & LSE). The entry requirements for each state that the threshold is a high upper-second class degree for undergraduate. I received 67% in Ancient History for my undergraduate degree from the University of Bristol. I achieved a first-class mark in my undergraduate dissertation (2nd year grades dragged my overall classification down, and my transcript demonstrates year-on-year improvement). I also hold a distinction in MSc Political Theory from LSE, with a distinction in the dissertation. I also achieved 43 IB points in 6th form, for what that's worth at this stage of my academic career.

I was wondering whether, even though my undergraduate degree grade is at the lowest possible end of the admissions spectrum, my more relevant masters degree would count for more.

Essentially, I'm wondering whether I would still stand a good chance of admissions success for these courses with my academic record.

Thanks!
chtt99
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Application for the Cambridge MPhil in Political Thought and Intellectual History, with all supporting documents & funding proposal, submitted December 24th.

Would be keen to have some more input on what people think my chances are. My application is currently status submitted which is about what I expect due to the holidays. I submitted a 1k research proposal with 2 ~5k word essays to boot, and filled in all the optional fields on the application. I contacted a member of academic staff who was enthusiastic about my proposed area of research and encouraged me to apply (which I think is the default position anyway), so marked them down as my proposed supervisor. This all said, I'm aware that my first degree, BA Ancient History with a high (just) 2.1 of 67% (on the dot) will be weaker than much of my competition, so I'm wondering to what extent the distinction in MSc Political Theory (from a marginally stronger institution in the respective field) will counter-balance this (given that arguably my MSc discipline is more relevant to the subject of MPhil study as well). Thanks!
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by chtt99)
That's fine, apply and let them decide against the rest of the applicant pool that year.
muttondresser
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good luck is all I can say! What is done is done, fingers crossed you get what you hope for.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (80)
18.39%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (125)
28.74%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (163)
37.47%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (54)
12.41%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
2.99%

Watched Threads