The Student Room Group

guys, have you ever rejected a girl?

and how did you do it?
I did and it went really badly 😂 I knew she liked me, so I tried to be nice and say stuff like ‘you’re really nice, you’re a great friend etc etc etc.’
My advice would be to just be completely honest. Say how you feel, and don’t draw it out for too long.
At the same time, don’t be rude or anything. I guess a good way to phrase it would be:
‘I don’t like you in that way. I’d still love to stay friends’
Consider that as you’re saying this, she’s probably going to be a bit upset after so she might just want to go away for a while and not see you. That’s completely normal
Imagine you like someone, and they tell you that they don’t like you back. As soon as they say this, you’d probably want to get away from them and have some time to think, right?
As a girl I have rejected a guy by saying "I'm not looking for a boyfriend right now" but in reality he just wasn't my type.

If you are gonna reject a girl, offer the option of being friends. Friendzone isn't that bad, and if she really likes you she'll settle for friends, because sometimes it's like that. You two will probably drift apart if you are already friends, if not you may have just made a friend or she'll give up and move on. But be polite towards her. But don't lead her on in anyway. Be discrete with what you say. Girls will overanalyse everything you say and do. So just be very discrete with what you say. Use stuff along the lines of "I can't accept your feelings, I'm sorry" Just don't be ambiguous with what you say.
Original post by Anonymous
As a girl I have rejected a guy by saying "I'm not looking for a boyfriend right now" but in reality he just wasn't my type.

If you are gonna reject a girl, offer the option of being friends. Friendzone isn't that bad, and if she really likes you she'll settle for friends, because sometimes it's like that. You two will probably drift apart if you are already friends, if not you may have just made a friend or she'll give up and move on. But be polite towards her. But don't lead her on in anyway. Be discrete with what you say. Girls will overanalyse everything you say and do. So just be very discrete with what you say. Use stuff along the lines of "I can't accept your feelings, I'm sorry" Just don't be ambiguous with what you say.

think the key is not to be ambiguous.

find it quite funny how people try to be diplomatic to the point where the other person is completely lost and they wonder why.
Say that you think they're a good person but you are not wanting a gf at all at this point in time.

Hope that helps.
Super simple and clears up any ambiguity.
and how did you do it?

Hey, yes I think we all will have to at some point in our lives. I just told her that I didn't see her in that way and essentially friend zoned her when she asked me out. Here are the main things to do:

1. Complement her (LOTS), its nothing to you to give her a few complements and it'll go a long way to making her feel better.
2. Offer to stay friends, chances are she will feel awkward and wont want to but at least you've made the effort to and other people will see that and respect you for it.
3. Don't lie. Don't make up a fake girlfriend, strict parents or something about not being ready for a relationship (Of course if these are true then lead in with that). Tell her you don't see her like that or some other generic response, in my experience the reason why not only matters if it's something really major like if your really rude or if its one of the above.
4. Reassure her. Tell her that you think she's pretty and she's really nice etc. she just isn't the one for you. Tell her that she'll easily be able to get someone else and she shouldn't worry about you.
5. Be rude about yourself. Tell her she can do better and that your not actually amazing, there are better people for her etc. etc. You don't want to date her so saying a few depreciating things, whilst making her feel much better, will be no skin off your back.
6. Apologise. Apologise. Apologise.
7. Try and hang about and talk with her (this will avoid awkwardness if you do want to stay friends) but if she makes to leave, let her, its obvious that she wants to be alone in that case.
8. Hug her if she starts crying and tell her its okay, just be kind, be a decent human and think how you'd least hate to be rejected.
9. Make it a YOU problem not a HER problem. Tell her its your fault for stringing her along or that your the one who's not good enough, don't ever tell her its because she isn't good enough.
10. Do it in person.

These are all easier said than done and chances are she will still be upset and/ or mad at you but this will help her get over you quicker and will avoid a scene. Remember unless you have been leading her on, her upset isn't your fault and really you should take this as a complement.
(edited 4 years ago)
think the key is not to be ambiguous.

find it quite funny how people try to be diplomatic to the point where the other person is completely lost and they wonder why.

100%
Ambiguity makes a mess out of people. And usually if the girl starts thinking he's just making excuses it can go either of two ways. She moves on, or she becomes obsessed. Usually the former, but sometimes the latter. But trying to play off like "oh maybe later in life" or "I'm not ready to have a gf" or " you're a lovely person but I don't think now is the right time" like that's pushing ambiguity too far.

If all else fails, be brutally honest "I don't like you that way" or " I don't see us going out together", tbf those aren't too bad compared to other rejections 🤷*♀️
Original post by WontDisclose
Hey, yes I think we all will have to at some point in our lives. I just told her that I didn't see her in that way and essentially friend zoned her when she asked me out. Here are the main things to do:

1. Complement her (LOTS), its nothing to you to give her a few complements and it'll go a long way to making her feel better.
2. Offer to stay friends, chances are she will feel awkward and wont want to but at least you've made the effort to and other people will see that and respect you for it.
3. Don't lie. Don't make up a fake girlfriend, strict parents or something about not being ready for a relationship (Of course if these are true then lead in with that). Tell her you don't see her like that or some other generic response, in my experience the reason why not only matters if it's something really major like if your really rude or if its one of the above.
4. Reassure her. Tell her that you think she's pretty and she's really nice etc. she just isn't the one for you. Tell her that she'll easily be able to get someone else and she shouldn't worry about you.
5. Be rude about yourself. Tell her she can do better and that your not actually amazing, there are better people for her etc. etc. You don't want to date her so saying a few depreciating things, whilst making her feel much better, will be no skin off your back.
7. Try and hang about and talk with her (this will avoid awkwardness if you do want to stay friends) but if she makes to leave, let her, its obvious that she wants to be alone in that case.
8. Hug her if she starts crying and tell her its okay, just be kind, be a decent human and think how you'd least hate to be rejected.
9. Make it a YOU problem not a HER problem. Tell her its your fault for stringing her along or that your the one who's not good enough, don't ever tell her its because she isn't good enough.
10. Do it in person.
11. Try to do it in front of people, the crowd will see how kind you were and it'll make it harder for her to make you look bad if that's what she tries to do later and also she'll be less likely to make a scene if all her friends are looking on.

These are all easier said than done and chances are she will still be upset and/ or mad at you but this will help her get over you quicker and will avoid a scene. Remember unless you have been leading her on, her upset isn't your fault and really you should take this as a complement.

As a girl, Id feel extremely respected if a guy treated me like that when saying no but yes as the other user said, try and be ambiguous so she doesn't read into your words and try and piece together some hidden message to her with what you say, don't be afraid to be slightly blunt. x
Original post by WontDisclose

10. Do it in person.
11. Try to do it in front of people, the crowd will see how kind you were and it'll make it harder for her to make you look bad if that's what she tries to do later and also she'll be less likely to make a scene if all her friends are looking on.

Mostly good advice, although I completely disagree with point 11 ‘do it in front of people’??? Personally, I would be livid if someone embarrassed me like that in front of a group of friends. Do it in private

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending