Who do you think will win the next general election? Watch

Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Kitten in boots)
This is why I look forward to the Brexit Party’s involvement.

If enough leave voters fall for Farage’s simplistic demagoguery again, it will split the leave vote in such a way that remainers dominate Parliament and we can put an end to this Brexit nonsense that has done so much damage to our country.
Lol democracy the remain way.

The only way you will put and end to it is to except it and move on. Will you champion the same thing if it makes brexit more of a reality?
Last edited by Burton Bridge; 2 weeks ago
Treetop321
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Me.
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
You think thousands of people voting for brexit but their votes will actually make remain more likely is healthy for democracy? This is because of the back room undemocratic remain packs.
I don't, no. That's a problem with our electoral system and I think it should be changed.

My question was more about whether remain MPs existing is a problem in and of itself and whether you think remain MPs should exist at all?
SMEGGGY
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I wish tories win a majority, then they can pass the deal through or anything that gets us out of EU the next day!!!! Ffs end it
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by SHallowvale)
I don't, no. That's a problem with our electoral system and I think it should be changed.

My question was more about whether remain MPs existing is a problem in and of itself and whether you think remain MPs should exist at all?
Oh of course remain MPs should exist, I'd welcome more of them to be more open about their views, my problem is the machiavellian manner in which they have acted to get elected.

Claiming to be a lamb but when you are actually stuck with them for 5 years they act strangely like a pig.
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Oh of course remain MPs should exist, I'd welcome more of them to be more open about their views, my problem is the machiavellian manner in which they have acted to get elected.

Claiming to be a lamb but when you are actually stuck with them for 5 years they act strangely like a pig.
Could you give an example of how would-be/will-be remain MPs are acting in a "machiavellian manner" in order to get elected?
imlikeahermit
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

The only way you will put and end to it is to except it and move on. Will you champion the same thing if it makes brexit more of a reality?
As opposed to democracy the leave way, which is to do away with democracy altogether?

To be fair, I think the same problem exists with Labour and the Lib Dems. You want to remain, who do you vote for? Labour arguably will end up with the bigger share.
QE2
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hold on. You've been banging on about a general election being the only democratic way to sort out Brexit, but if Remain parties win and cancel Brexit, it suddenly becomes "undemocratic"?
:rofl:
Lol democracy the Leave way
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by QE2)
Hold on. You've been banging on about a general election being the only democratic way to sort out Brexit, but if Remain parties win and cancel Brexit, it suddenly becomes "undemocratic"?
:rofl:
Lol democracy the Leave way
No that's not true at all. My point started and stopped with the brexit party make remain more likely, that's it.

I dont think tactical voting should be a thing we engage in for any gain, do you?

(Original post by imlikeahermit)
As opposed to democracy the leave way, which is to do away with democracy altogether?

To be fair, I think the same problem exists with Labour and the Lib Dems. You want to remain, who do you vote for? Labour arguably will end up with the bigger share.
The first sentence is BS but I think you know that and are poking me. The second is fair and very true, Unfortunately in this case the liberals are the ones who are being the most honest, labour are changing their coats to the background.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Could you give an example of how would-be/will-be remain MPs are acting in a "machiavellian manner" in order to get elected?
By claiming to want one policy they, in reality find abhorrent and furthermoore will never agree too, but promises it in order to get elected. Only too stick two fingers up to the electorate when they are safe for 5 years and scheme to achieve the opposite of what they was elected to do by the electorate.
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
By claiming to want one policy they, in reality find abhorrent and furthermoore will never agree too, but promises it in order to get elected. Only too stick two fingers up to the electorate when they are safe for 5 years and scheme to achieve the opposite of what they was elected to do by the electorate.
Can you elaborate?

You seem to be talking about two different things. You started by mentioning how the Brexit Party will split the leave vote, thus allowing remain MPs to get into power. Now you're talking about the promises remain MPs are making in order to get elected.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
What is highly likely is that the Cons and Brexit party won’t be getting many remain votes, for obvious reasons.
And any leaver would have to be a tit to vote Lib Dem.
Maybe, maybe not.

Pollsters think that in the Referendum 9% of UKIP voters voted Remain

Because NI uses Single Transferable Vote for its Assembly it is possible to follow voters' transfers between Sinn Fein and extreme unionist/loyalist candidates. Who are the 17 Progressive Unionist Party voters (the politicial wing of the Ulster Volunteer Force) who switched to Sinn Fein? These are people deeply committed to sectarianism. These are people who have to be excused from non-attendence at mass because they have an Orange parade to attend.
Last edited by nulli tertius; 2 weeks ago
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Can you elaborate?

You seem to be talking about two different things. You started by mentioning how the Brexit Party will split the leave vote, thus allowing remain MPs to get into power. Now you're talking about the promises remain MPs are making in order to get elected.
Of course I can.

You are correct i am talking about two things or the same thing by both sides, the problem with politics is the inability to see both sides of the debate, it is possible for both sides to act machiavellian.

My original point was very straight forward and simple, the existence of the Brexit party actually makes a remain more viable in certain constituencies. That seemed to upset some people who have misinterpreted it as me saying parliament should be made up of extremist stalin like people or I had a problem an election.

I have a problem with machiavellian politics as I've called it, be it farage trying to arrange an extension to his political importance at the expense of the country or renainer MP's dressing up as brexiteers to con leave constituents into voting for them. I find it hard to understand how people can be so blinkered to their beloved political ilk they cannot see right from wrong.

The only person that seems to of understood what I meant was paul514 a vote for the brexit party in real terms could be a vote for remain, which is ironic and as you said the flaws of our political system.
whizzer_wins
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
At first, I'd have said Conservatives, but not with a majority, but I think they'll lose a lot of votes to the Lib Dems (who could attract voters who want to revoke Article 50) and the Brexit Party (who could attract voters who are fed up with Brexit and just want it to happen, as well as people who want a harder Brexit). I think the Conservatives and Labour will take big hits due to all the indecision and political infighting.In an ideal world, I'd love the Green Party to get a majority!
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You think thousands of people voting for brexit but their votes will actually make remain more likely is healthy for democracy? This is because of the back room undemocratic remain packs.

I never said anything like that, I'm only saying the existence of the Brexit party actually helps remain.
With all due respect but you have repeatedly inferred that. You have inferred that the existence of MPs backing remain in undemocratic and borderline treasonous, something that is not only wrong but downright dictatorial.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Of course I can.

You are correct i am talking about two things or the same thing by both sides, the problem with politics is the inability to see both sides of the debate, it is possible for both sides to act machiavellian.

My original point was very straight forward and simple, the existence of the Brexit party actually makes a remain more viable in certain constituencies. That seemed to upset some people who have misinterpreted it as me saying parliament should be made up of extremist stalin like people or I had a problem an election.

I have a problem with machiavellian politics as I've called it, be it farage trying to arrange an extension to his political importance at the expense of the country or renainer MP's dressing up as brexiteers to con leave constituents into voting for them. I find it hard to understand how people can be so blinkered to their beloved political ilk they cannot see right from wrong.

The only person that seems to of understood what I meant was paul514 a vote for the brexit party in real terms could be a vote for remain, which is ironic and as you said the flaws of our political system.
It’s not exactly a hard point to get so don’t worry.

Reports out tonight that the brexit party may only field 20 candidates in this election
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by SMEGGGY)
I wish tories win a majority, then they can pass the deal through or anything that gets us out of EU the next day!!!! Ffs end it
If you think thats any kind of possibility you must be smoking something fun..
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by paul514)

Reports out tonight that the brexit party may only field 20 candidates in this election
Were Brexit Party candidates putting up their own deposits? If so, Farage might find that the Provisional Brexit Party is putting up 580 candidates in this election.
Last edited by nulli tertius; 2 weeks ago
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
With all due respect but you have repeatedly inferred that. You have inferred that the existence of MPs backing remain in undemocratic and borderline treasonous, something that is not only wrong but downright dictatorial.
No you have totally misunderstood me and got the wrong end of the stick.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Well I thought it was pretty key stage one myself unfortunately the superior intelligence remainers (claim too) hold over us seems to block comprehension from them.

I read that myself but I'm not convinced that will happen, I fear farage actually does not want the impasse to end, time will tell.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

what's your favourite season?

Summer (12)
27.27%
Spring (7)
15.91%
Autumn/Fall (13)
29.55%
Winter (8)
18.18%
I love them all equally (4)
9.09%