I want to get a dog, advise me on which breed. (Please.) Watch

Misogynist
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hello,

I'm buying a dog. Yes, I'm purchasing a dog with currency.

I want it to be aggressive yet obedient.

Which breed do I get?
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why aggresive? A good mongrel - they often have the best temprement. German shepherd cross?
Cattleman
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Aggressive but obedient makes me think Doberman or Alsatian.
emilina
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
not a whippet . . it is literally the complete opposite :p:

maybe a doberman?
xJessx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I would say German Sheperd, they seem very trainable and calm but like good guard dogs.
Do this quiz to get a rough idea: http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm
Hannah_x
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Golden Retriever. Beautiful things - very friendly but they're extremely loyal and protective.
x
pork products
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Alsation, the police use them because they are aggresive and obedient
Misogynist
Rep:
?
I want it to be aggressive so it can be a part time guard dog. I don't want a dog that just has a fiddle around and likes to be hugged.

I was thinking German Shephard, but I've been told they can be unusually aggressive at times?
alenax
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Rottweiler.
Mcjazz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Hannah_x)
Golden Retriever. Beautiful things - very friendly but they're extremely loyal and protective.
x
Protective? Mine's scared of cats!
SpiritedAway
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i can't spell, but a Weiermarana. depending on the breeder they can either be dopy and well behaved or violent
Misogynist
Rep:
?
(Original post by alenax)
Rottweiler.
I've heard bad things about them. Besides, I have no previous experience in raising one and I've heard you have to be a 'role model' to them for them to even consider you as a master.

I don't have the time or patience for that, neither the extra limbs or face.
DoMakeSayThink
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Get a Newfy Get a Newfy Get a Newfy.

Yeah, I like Newfoundlands. They freaking massive, and awesome in many many ways. They can swim breast stroke, for crying out loud!
Kalashnikov
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Go for a Rottweiler or German Shephard.
nuttygirl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Misogynist)
I want it to be aggressive so it can be a part time guard dog. I don't want a dog that just has a fiddle around and likes to be hugged.

I was thinking German Shephard, but I've been told they can be unusually aggressive at times?
I am loving the cut of your jib!

Yeah, sounds good, some are majorly aggresive, some aren't When I was born we had an alsation and he taught me to walk!
Mcjazz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

I've looked after a white german shepherd for some time. Beautiful dog, but she's a bit of a wimp and loves attention etc. which is unusual for that breed. I think if you train it right there's no need to worry about it being unusually aggressive, particularly towards its owners.
Misogynist
Rep:
?
I've been offered a 5 month old Shephard from an Army kennel. I think 5 months is a little to old though? Your thoughts?
nuttygirl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've been offered a 5 month old Shephard from an Army kennel. I think 5 months is a little to old though? Your thoughts?
No! He's like a puppy, please get him
Misogynist
Rep:
?
(Original post by nuttygirl)
No! He's like a puppy, please get him
But he'd have been trained by someone else. I don't want somebody else's dog </Schindlers List>

Does it actually make a difference though? As in if he hasn't seen my godly face in the first five months of his life, will he still consider me as his new God?
Schmokie Dragon
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Any dog which has a natural tendency to aggressiveness can go 'crazy' and do something very vicious. There are many stories of dog attacking children or their owners friends due to some perceived threat.

If you want a dog as a working animal, then get something suitable for guarding/hunting. However, if you do that, it is quite dangerous to treat it like a pet and let it mooch around the house. With such potentially dangerous animals, I think it is wise to either get a well trained working dog, or to get a pet.

Don't underestimate how powerful and violent dogs can be if they are not the right temperament, if they are teased/treated carelessly or if they are not trained correctly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (236)
39.14%
No - but I will (41)
6.8%
No - I don't want to (45)
7.46%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (281)
46.6%

Watched Threads