Study6076
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
i am in year 11

i want to achieve at least eight grade 9s out of the 12 subjects i am studying ( the rest ranging from grade 7-9)

i learn concepts quickly and i am an able student.

however i have made NO revision at all since the beginning of year 9 (when we started).

my end of year 10 mocks were all 5s and 6s and few 7s

MY plan is

1)I have made a revision timetable (which covers evreything we have learnt so far from the beginning of year 9/GCSE course till now ) this is to revise for our mocks start from the 16th of December to the 10th of January .

2)DURING the revision described above i will be going in depth through everything on the spec we have covered so far in depth, make notes , do questions, make revision material and do LOTS of practise exam questions.

3)My aim before the 1st of January 2020 is to understand and know everything we have covered so far by heart and so i can focus on my weakenesses from the feedback of my mocks.

4)After our mocks i aim to do the same kind of in depth revision (described in 1) ) for all of the remaining content left by mid february (parents evening).

5)From February on wards i am just going to be revising the material using the revision i have made and do LOTS AND LOST OF practise papers and exam questions ( all of the practise papers available or ever made and other exam boards too once i have finished my own exam board also the grade 9 exam questions)

please tell me what i can improve on regards to my plan and i this what people who achieved the high grades did
Last edited by Study6076; 4 months ago
Apad121
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Study6076)
i am in year 11

i want to achieve at least eight grade 9s out of the 12 subjects i am studying ( the rest ranging from grade 7-9)

however i have made NO revision at all since the beginning of year 9 (when we started).

MY plan is

1)I have made a revision timetable (which covers evreything we have learnt so far from the beginning of year 9/GCSE course till now ) this is to revise for our mocks start from the 16th of December to the 10th of January .

2)DURING the revision described above i will be going in depth through everything on the spec we have covered so far in depth, make notes , do questions, make revision material and do LOTS of practise exam questions.

3)My aim before the 1st of January 2020 is to understand and know everything we have covered so far by heart and so i can focus on my weakenesses from the feedback of my mocks.

4)After our mocks i aim to do the same kind of in depth revision (described in 1) ) for all of the remaining content left by mid february (parents evening).

5)From February on wards i am just going to be revising the material using the revision i have made and do LOTS AND LOST OF practise papers and exam questions ( all of the practise papers available or ever made and other exam boards too once i have finished my own exam board also the grade 9 exam questions)

please tell me what i can improve on regards to my plan and i this what people who achieved the high grades did
Hi there

You sound a lot like myself in the past: I took my gcses in the 2018 year so the year when most gcses first switched to 9-1 and English and maths were the only subjects that had 9-1 before my year.

All the things you said above should bode you VERY WEll but that is only if you actually stick to it!

I didn't do much revision throughout year 9,10,11. I didn't make any flashcards either or make any revision notes until Easter which ended up being a panic frenzy. (but I ended up with 99999999888A*A*A - some of my grades were in the old standard.)

My advice to you would be to get super familiar with the spec - cgp guide is actually just the spec written out more nicely.

You've not got roughly three years of past papers to play with which is great! There shouldn't be anything holding you back!

Since you're clearly very able, have you considered taking some extra qualifications? I took the Edexcel Level 3 Award in Algebra and the Edexcel Level 3 Award in Statistical Methods. These are nice awards that will help your a level maths of you take it or raise that notch above other students at gcse! Feel free to ask about this if you're interested...

Additionally, since you are thinking so far ahead and well, have you considered applying to any private sixth forms? You sound very much like scholarship material and this may earn you a much better deal than you may have even thought possible! (I got a full scholarship to one of the top private schools in the country!) Additionally, there's no harm in applying as the interviews and admissions tests are good practice for uni. Do ask more if you're interested.

The most important thing is to stay motivated and stick to your plans!

Do not let anything slip!

Good luck!

Send an update as the month passes to see how you keep up on here! It may be a good idea to so that in a few months you can reflect on whether or not your plan is working!
_Mia101
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
i am in year 11

MY plan is

I think that you should prioritise your subjects, you have said already that you want to get 9s in at least 8 of your subjects, ensure that you tailor your revision to help you reach that goal, but don't let your other subject fall behind as a result.

Also, don't plan too much revision all at once. Completing two year and a terms work in about two months sounds like a lot, especially if you plan on doing that for all your subjects.
  1. The truth is you know more than you think. If this were me, i'd do one practice paper (old spec) to see where I am.
    Old spec, because it's best to save the new spec questions for closer to the exams
  2. Making notes, isn't the most productive way of revision and is very time consuming. Also, you can't revise off notes, unless you plan on just rereading them which is a very passive form of revision. To add, it is very easy to fall into the trap of just rewriting out your textbook or revision guide. If you want a good set of concise notes then get a revision guide, and if you learn from writing things out then try making flashcards which you can use to test yourself.
  3. Too much revision and you will burn yourself out, so limit yourself to max 2-4 hours a day and have at least one day of in a week.
  4. Your plan from February sounds good to me :yep:

Hope this helps and good luck!
Study6076
Rep:
?
(Original post by Apad121)
Hi there

You sound a lot like myself in the past: I took my gcses in the 2018 year so the year when most gcses first switched to 9-1 and English and maths were the only subjects that had 9-1 before my year.

All the things you said above should bode you VERY WEll but that is only if you actually stick to it!

I didn't do much revision throughout year 9,10,11. I didn't make any flashcards either or make any revision notes until Easter which ended up being a panic frenzy. (but I ended up with 99999999888A*A*A - some of my grades were in the old standard.)

My advice to you would be to get super familiar with the spec - cgp guide is actually just the spec written out more nicely.

You've not got roughly three years of past papers to play with which is great! There shouldn't be anything holding you back!

Since you're clearly very able, have you considered taking some extra qualifications? I took the Edexcel Level 3 Award in Algebra and the Edexcel Level 3 Award in Statistical Methods. These are nice awards that will help your a level maths of you take it or raise that notch above other students at gcse! Feel free to ask about this if you're interested...

Additionally, since you are thinking so far ahead and well, have you considered applying to any private sixth forms? You sound very much like scholarship material and this may earn you a much better deal than you may have even thought possible! (I got a full scholarship to one of the top private schools in the country!) Additionally, there's no harm in applying as the interviews and admissions tests are good practice for uni. Do ask more if you're interested.

The most important thing is to stay motivated and stick to your plans!

Do not let anything slip!

Good luck!

Send an update as the month passes to see how you keep up on here! It may be a good idea to so that in a few months you can reflect on whether or not your plan is working!
hey, thanks for your advice
1)could i please have you r email to ask about specific gcse advice or could you please send it to my inbox
2)what private sixth form did u get offered (if u don't mind me asking)
mamilanii
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
You can do this !!
Study6076
Rep:
?
(Original post by PinkBoy)
You can do this !!
how so?
mamilanii
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
how so?
it was supposed to be a sense of motivation lmao
as long as you follow your plan, i think you will be set
mez_merising
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
save actual exam papers until close to your exams then you can do them timed. physics and maths tutor do topic by topic qs for maths and sciences which are vvvv helpful
Study6076
Rep:
?
(Original post by mez_merising)
save actual exam papers until close to your exams then you can do them timed. physics and maths tutor do topic by topic qs for maths and sciences which are vvvv helpful
so you think i should do the topic questions instead of the past papers
mez_merising
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
so you think i should do the topic questions instead of the past papers
yep leave the past papers until Easter or around exam time
Study6076
Rep:
?
(Original post by mez_merising)
yep leave the past papers until Easter or around exam time
also i was thinking e.g if i do past papers in feb and the questions i get wrong i will type up the qs and do them again
mez_merising
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
also i was thinking e.g if i do past papers in feb and the questions i get wrong i will type up the qs and do them again
no point typing them. doing it closer to the exam helps you retain the exam technique and it’s basically just memorizing the mark scheme and question types which help your short term memory. you might also do them in schools so you don’t want an unrealistic grade just bc you’ve seen the qs before
pancakesbob7
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Do past paper Qs from xmas holidays onwards. If you do too much revision, you can burn yourself out. It can also be supr de-motivating if you fall behind on your revision timetable - they didn't work for me as they stressed me out too much! Just focus on your weaknesses first, then gently re-cap all the other content.

To me, it sounds like you're procrastinating right now. You may not be, but it's just the first impression this post gives me(as I did the same when I was doing GCSEs, and I'm answering this Q as a form of procrastination LOL). Make sure you have a hobby at the weekends or after school which you enjoy doing to have a break from revision. REMEMBER : it gets tougher at A-levels, so make the most of your free time at GCSEs(not like you get zero free time at sixth form, but definitely more workload!)!!

Even if you think a subject is easy, don't neglect it - I got 8s in my eng language mocks, and got a 6 in the actual thing, but 7s in eng lit mocks, and a 9 in the actual thing! Just keep balancing the subjects.....

Like someone else said, CGP is really good...their practise exam papers were one of the main things that got me through the sciences and english! More useful for sciences, best to get your eng teachers(should they be kind/generous enough) to mark eng papers, as eng papers are harder to mark and they know exactly what the examiner is looking for...

Good luck for your GCSEs, you'll smash it!
Apad121
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
hey, thanks for your advice
1)could i please have you r email to ask about specific gcse advice or could you please send it to my inbox
2)what private sixth form did u get offered (if u don't mind me asking)
I won't put my email on the forum but if you dm me I'll be more than happy to answer any questions or give any subject related advice.
I'll give details about the college too in the direct messages or emails.
mamilanii
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
update us !! How's it going ??
Study6076
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by PinkBoy)
update us !! How's it going ??
I'm just a failure
Rolo1234
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'm just a failure
how?
casabonita
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
ur not a failure! if things haven't been going to plan, that's completely natural. most people tend to set out a huge revision plan, but they're so hard to stick to, even for the most organised of people.
i'm guessing you've done half of your mocks by now (since u said u have some in jan too) so it will be okay! even if some have not gone as well as you'd have hoped, try to forget about them and prioritise the exams you still have left.
an intense revision plan is so hard to stick to without burning out - i recommend seneca as this is a pretty chill way to do revision. then, after your mocks, look at what subjects you need to improve on and prioritise them! figure out a revision plan that works for you everyone learns differently, so just because it's worked for someone else doesn't mean it'll work for you!
i did my gcses last year - my revision was a lot of seneca for each subject, then working through the cgp practice questions workbook. these help you learn the mark scheme too, which improves your exam technique massively!
of course, you may learn differently to me, so see what's most helpful for you, and don't drain yourself please!

don't worry about ur mock results, nothing matters until the real thing
Study6076
Rep:
?
(Original post by casabonita)
ur not a failure! if things haven't been going to plan, that's completely natural. most people tend to set out a huge revision plan, but they're so hard to stick to, even for the most organised of people.
i'm guessing you've done half of your mocks by now (since u said u have some in jan too) so it will be okay! even if some have not gone as well as you'd have hoped, try to forget about them and prioritise the exams you still have left.
an intense revision plan is so hard to stick to without burning out - i recommend seneca as this is a pretty chill way to do revision. then, after your mocks, look at what subjects you need to improve on and prioritise them! figure out a revision plan that works for you everyone learns differently, so just because it's worked for someone else doesn't mean it'll work for you!
i did my gcses last year - my revision was a lot of seneca for each subject, then working through the cgp practice questions workbook. these help you learn the mark scheme too, which improves your exam technique massively!
of course, you may learn differently to me, so see what's most helpful for you, and don't drain yourself please!

don't worry about ur mock results, nothing matters until the real thing
i have 15 exams left and i have done 6 exams
Study6076
Rep:
?
i have 15 exams left and i have done 6 exams
and i am a failure because there is no way i can achieve my goal
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?