Hair dye and cancer? Watch

Jillie Boe
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Right, my hair is blonde and I've been dying it with permanent superdrug hair dye for the past 2 years. I dye it every month.

I got sent a link by my friend, a bbc link from 2002 that said that dark permanent hair dyes caused cancer cos of all the chemicals. Does anyone know how true that claim is? cos the article was 6 years old so I figured if it was it would be in the news more?

I really don't want to stop dying my hair cos I detest my real hair colour and love my dyed hair colour. I was thinking about stopping buying the superdrug one cos that's quite heavily chemicaled(sp?) and maybe go to a garnier one or something?

How many people dye their hair on here?

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, I didn't know whether to put it here on in fashion
dh00001
Report 10 years ago
its a claim but apparently your mobile gives you cancer, but you still carry that right?
Ilora-Danon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've dyed my hair black for the past 5 years and I'm in perfect health.

All I can say is that, everything gives you cancer. There's no point worrying about it. Last week it was bacon, this week it'll be something else. God knows what it'll be next week. I wouldn't worry about it. They wouldn't be able to license them in the UK/Europe if they were so damaging to our health. (Plus, all hairdressers would be walking around with cancer, wouldn't they )
Aemiliana
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It seems everything causes cancer these days. I even heard of suncream causing it (You're stuffed if you do and stuffed if you don't). However, I stopped dyeing my hair about 3 years ago because of all the chemicals and learning to appreciate my natural colour.

If you want to still colour your hair and are worried about the chemicals, go to a health food store; most seem to stock natural hair dyes (wierd I know!)
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The chances are that if a certain hair dye was found to be carcinogenic, it'll have been removed from the shelves immediately and replaced with a less harmful alternative. But no one can really tell you anything about this unless the article says which chemicals they are and you look for them on the back of the hair dye packet. The fact that the Superdrug one has lots of chemicals in it doesn't necessarily mean any of them are harmful.
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by steffi.alexa)
If you want to still colour your hair and are worried about the chemicals, go to a health food store; most seem to stock natural hair dyes (wierd I know!)
Err, hold on. What makes you think "natural" hair dyes won't cause cancer too? Everything's a bloody chemical, but that doesn't make "unnatural" ones harmful!
Jillie Boe
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by dh00001)
its a claim but apparently your mobile gives you cancer, but you still carry that right?
Yeah, completely. That's why I thought I was being silly for being worried, cos it's just a factor that could increase your chance, right?

Ilora - Your post made me feel better, thank you =]

Steffi - I never knew that. Do you mean shops like Hollands && Barrets?
Ilora-Danon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
^Exactly. Black Henna is known for it's cancerous properties, yet people still use it.
Aemiliana
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by generalebriety)
Err, hold on. What makes you think "natural" hair dyes won't cause cancer too? Everything's a bloody chemical, but that doesn't make "unnatural" ones harmful!
The "natural" ones don't contain ammonia - makes dyeing your hair one hell of a more pleasant experience.

However, yes that is true, but it's Friday, after school and I'm ditzy enough normally!
Aemiliana
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jillie Boe)
Yeah, completely. That's why I thought I was being silly for being worried, cos it's just a factor that could increase your chance, right?

Ilora - Your post made me feel better, thank you =]

Steffi - I never knew that. Do you mean shops like Hollands && Barrets?
Yeah, my local one (not Holland & Barret, but...) put them next to the chocolate - why else would I've noticed? If Holland & Barret do hair washes and other beuty things (lol) they should stock it. My local health "food" store stocks EVERYTHING...But it does smell funny.
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by steffi.alexa)
The "natural" ones don't contain ammonia - makes dyeing your hair one hell of a more pleasant experience.

However, yes that is true, but it's Friday, after school and I'm ditzy enough normally!
But does ammonia cause cancer? :confused:
petite_chaperon_rose
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ilora-Danon)
^Exactly. Black Henna is known for it's cancerous properties, yet people still use it.

Henna in its natural state is not cancerous.. but then to be able to market it, modify the colour( because henna is red) , they add lead compounds to it especially to some brands that will give a very black colour.. now this is cancerous and damaging to the hair
Aemiliana
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by generalebriety)
But does ammonia cause cancer? :confused:
I don't know...I've already had enough tests today *runs away and hides under a table* But it makes hair-dyeing horrible.
naivesincerity
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by dh00001)
I don't think that has been established.
dh00001
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by naivesincerity)
I don't think that has been established.
i think most evidence is anecdotal when it comes to this sort of thing
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (211)
39.59%
No - but I will (35)
6.57%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.75%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (251)
47.09%

Watched Threads