The Student Room Group

Feeling lonely at uni

Hi there,

I've been at uni now for about 5 weeks. I get on well with my flatmates in halls but I just haven't made any really close connections with them, like to the point where we're close friends. They hardly ever come out of their rooms and a couple are mature students so they often go off and do things. I have two friends I've made on my course, but they rarely suggest we do things together.

I see all my friends who have moved to uni have groups and most people on campus seem to as well, but I just don't seem to have made any concrete friendships with people I can rely on and be myself around. I can be quiet, but I'm also outgoing too. I just find myself sitting in my room by myself, or planning to go and do things like shopping or going to the cinema, but always by myself. I am worried its too late now to join any new societies. I have already joined one but I tend to sit on my own.

Sorry for the rant!
drop out.
Original post by Anonymous
drop out.

That's not very helpful is it?
drop out.

Yeah you're right, could do. But I've made it this far. I'm not going to fcking drop out after 5 weeks.
Original post by strawberrypip
Hi there,

I've been at uni now for about 5 weeks. I get on well with my flatmates in halls but I just haven't made any really close connections with them, like to the point where we're close friends. They hardly ever come out of their rooms and a couple are mature students so they often go off and do things. I have two friends I've made on my course, but they rarely suggest we do things together.

I see all my friends who have moved to uni have groups and most people on campus seem to as well, but I just don't seem to have made any concrete friendships with people I can rely on and be myself around. I can be quiet, but I'm also outgoing too. I just find myself sitting in my room by myself, or planning to go and do things like shopping or going to the cinema, but always by myself. I am worried its too late now to join any new societies. I have already joined one but I tend to sit on my own.

Sorry for the rant!

I don't know if my advice will be completely relevant in this situation since I haven't gone to uni yet but I'll try.
I was scared about making new friends in sixth form too since none of my close friends came with me to my new school. I know a lot of people in the sixth form but that's about it. We were at the smiling when you see them in the corridor stage.
So I went out of my way to sit at tables with people I didn't know and talk to all of the students in my classes, asking them about themselves etc etc
And it has seemed to work for me, I don't exactly have any close close friends yet but I have many people I can talk to about literally anything.
As long as you don't keep yourself closed off and go and talk to new people, you'll make new friends in no time. Sometimes it may be that other people are waiting for you to talk to them but they're too nervous to approach you first.
Try it :wink:
Original post by xxlaila03xx
I don't know if my advice will be completely relevant in this situation since I haven't gone to uni yet but I'll try.
I was scared about making new friends in sixth form too since none of my close friends came with me to my new school. I know a lot of people in the sixth form but that's about it. We were at the smiling when you see them in the corridor stage.
So I went out of my way to sit at tables with people I didn't know and talk to all of the students in my classes, asking them about themselves etc etc
And it has seemed to work for me, I don't exactly have any close close friends yet but I have many people I can talk to about literally anything.
As long as you don't keep yourself closed off and go and talk to new people, you'll make new friends in no time. Sometimes it may be that other people are waiting for you to talk to them but they're too nervous to approach you first.
Try it :wink:

Hi there!

Thank you, your reply is really appreciated. I think you're right, I just need to try and make an effort to sit with different people during lectures and stuff I guess. It's just really difficult, I'm not a very confident person at all 😂 but no, I will definitely try to just make conversations with anybody and everybody.

Thank you!
I’ve just started uni but I’m commuting which is equally lonely. I still get to see my friends at home but when I’m at uni I only chit chat to the people on my course, I don’t have anyone to go on a night out with in my uni city, or to stop over at their halls. Just know you aren’t the only one who isn’t making mates at uni
Hi there!

Thank you, your reply is really appreciated. I think you're right, I just need to try and make an effort to sit with different people during lectures and stuff I guess. It's just really difficult, I'm not a very confident person at all 😂 but no, I will definitely try to just make conversations with anybody and everybody.

Thank you!

You're very welcomee
I’ve just started uni but I’m commuting which is equally lonely. I still get to see my friends at home but when I’m at uni I only chit chat to the people on my course, I don’t have anyone to go on a night out with in my uni city, or to stop over at their halls. Just know you aren’t the only one who isn’t making mates at uni

Yeah same too. It's been over a year and still don't have any friends whatsoever in uni. The remaining 2 years of uni will consist the 'chit chat' conversations with my course-mates. Literally boring. *rolls eyes to the grave*. Because it's not like we are even connecting or vibing with eachother, we are only talking because you're on my course. It's for convenience. After the 2 years of uni I'll forget they even existed. I currently have some of them on snapchat and Instagram. When we graduate I'll be deleting and blocking users.

Same for me, feels like everyone's making friends on my course apart from me lol. They're all interested in drinking and partying, and there's nothing wrong with that, just isn't really up my alley XD
Reply 10
I'm in a similar situation to you, everyone was telling me how great university was and how much socializing goes on and 5 weeks in I still only leave my room for lectures and shopping for food. Decided to join some societies and clubs and I've met decent people but no one who I can actually call a friend yet. It's a start but still a bit lonely so you aren't alone don't worry.
Hi there,

Sorry for the rant!

I don't know how helpful this will be but if you try sit next to someone new and they seem nice enough but things feel a little bit awkward maybe talk about how you haven't made too many close friends yet and so so, I know its seems to be a strange approach but if they happen to relate to then you will probably be able to make good conversation with them and if they already happen to have a few friends they will most probably still be able to empathise with what your feeling and might invite you to meet them etc, and if you feel comfortable enough, asking to make plans also seem to help.

I'm not too much of a confident person myself but I moved around primary school and secondary schools a lot when I was younger due to my dads jobs and have happened to pick up a few tips on how to attempt to fit in when everyone seems to already of had fixed friendship group for a few years haha.
I guess just base your actions of their reactions, like if the keep making excuses to go out or seem really disinterested then maybe try someone else. I hope it all goes well for you <3
Hi there,

Sorry for the rant!

Sorry to hear your current experience isn't going as planned.
Firstly i'd suggest making more of an effort with your housemates, it sounds like you've gotten off to a great start but perhaps everyones a bit too shy to take things a bit further. Suggest all cooking a meal together where everyone can chip in a few £ and contribute something different to the meal. It's a great way to bond and it'll save you money on food. You could also suggest everyone gathering together to watch a movie together.
Try leaving your door open more and initiate conversation where you can. I bey they'll all be grateful that you do.

With your course friends, why not suggest meeting up for a coffee before the lecture or planning a few study sessions here and there? You could all bring in different snacks and just have a feast in the library, again it could just be that they are shy too but it still is early days. Don't write people off just yet.

Why not join a club or society to make additional friends too? You'll already have that common ground with having the same interest and it allows you to branch out outside of your course/accommodation. If the one you're in now isn't for you, try another one. Make a point of coming across as approachable, initiate conversation and generally make an effort and you'll find that people will naturally gravitate to you. Immerse yourself in everything your campus has to offer and go to as many events as you can. It's still early days and there will be many people who are in the same situation as you so don't give up!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending