The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Rosaaa
Why the hell not?! Enough people do.

Chillaxxxxx.

If the system had its way so many innocent people would have been hanged.
Rosaaa
If there isn't, then there's something seriously wrong going on.

Murderers are animals.

Yes they are animals, just like you and me...
Reply 82
FiveFiveSix
Come on... Death is not something to be enjoyed, or celebrated, or to have time taken over it. You execute them quicky, painlessly and humanely. I'm not a monster...

Rawr.

Get your guns out!
Reply 83
Rosaaa
Why the hell not?! Enough people do.

Chillaxxxxx.

Too many people do. Do you really think you know what goes on? Are you willing to put your life in the hands of people who will tell you what you want to hear in order to go about living your normal happy life?
Reply 84
Orthala
Becuse that obviously works in the US....

Well, to be frank, nobody really knows. You cannot simply guess at how a country may have evolved without a significant part of its legal tradition. The United States has a lot of social problems and crime is very much a fact of life there; even draconian measures will not necessarily eliminate crime, only reduce it.
callum9999
That does sound a bit hypocritical. People who kill people should be killed. So should the exectutioner also be killed or is it based upon whether you feel the killing is just or not?

Legally executing someone is not a crime... I never said people who kill people should be killed, otherwise I'd have second thoughts about my choice of career. People who commit crimes, including murder, rape, terrorism etc should be executed. Stop quibbling over semantics, it demonstrates your lack of a cohesive argument.
Reply 86
callum9999
Yes they are animals, just like you and me...

Hahaha. NO.

Please do not compare myself with you, or to a murderer :smile:
Rosaaa
Hahaha. NO.

Please don't be a closed minded idiot :smile:
Reply 88
I believe the purpose of our justice system is to deter people from committing crimes, so if you believe it's for the purpose of vengeance, then I have no real comeback. On the matter of deterrent, however, a program I saw on campaigns against the death penalty in the US asserted that there are a few types of people who commit murders (as an example of a potential capital crime):

1) Career criminals or those who belong to violent gangs. For these people, death is an occupational hazard (they're even more likely to be killed by rivals) and the death penalty will not deter them.

2) People with severe psychological illnesses who kill by compulsion. The death penalty won't deter these people either and even if it could, it wouldn't be an appropriate use of the death penalty at all.

3) Murders that arise out of passion (e.g. jilted lovers) aren't going to be stopped either by the thought of the death penalty.

I'm sure people can think of more examples, but I feel that these people demonstrated the ineffectiveness of the death penalty as a deterrent. Sure, it retains its purpose of meting out vengeance, but I don't believe that this is the purpose of our justice system today.
Rosaaa
Hahaha. NO.

Well humans are animals, and I was assuming you are human?

I wouldn't compare myself with you, but I accept we have some similarities, like we are both humans, we can both type etc etc.
yes with capital punishment but the use of it has to be limited to a really small extent...only for the extreeemee crimes.

but anyway i would like to change the topic to extending jail sentences rather than bringing back the death penalty
Reply 91
FiveFiveSix
I'm scum because I'd allow someone who'd murdered, raped, blown up innocent civilians or ruined a young kid's life to die?

What's twisted about the last bit? Would you rather I'd advocated horrible torture and a slow, lingering death? Come on... Death is not something to be enjoyed, or celebrated, or to have time taken over it. You execute them quicky, painlessly and humanely. I'm not a monster...

I'm not saying you allowed it, and I very much doubt you would. But after it's been done you still pursue to follow it out by beating them at their own game and doing exactly to them what they did to someone else. That is some crazy logic.

The bit I found twisted was that you tried to make a joke of peoples lives by saying that you're for animal rights. I don't understand how you could even claim to care about animals when you quite clearly don't understand the importance of human life.
nuttygirl

Now was that really neccessary? Descending into Ad Hominem attacks shows you've lost...

But she's got a point. You can't compare scum with people who have no intention to or inclination towards committing such crimes that warrant the death penalty.
Reply 93
nuttygirl

Fancy you saying that. :wink:
Reply 94
callum9999
Well humans are animals, and I was assuming you are human?

I wouldn't compare myself with you, but I accept we have some similarities, like we are both humans, we can both type etc etc.

Haha, you're funny, I almost like you. :smile:

Yes I am pretty sure I'm human, so okay we've got that similarity.
FiveFiveSix
Now was that really neccessary? Descending into Ad Hominem attacks shows you've lost...

But she's got a point. You can't compare scum with people who have no intention to or inclination towards committing such crimes that warrant the death penalty.

Sorry dude, shouldn't have said that :smile: Just totally don't agree with you.
Reply 96
SmellyCat16
but anyway i would like to change the topic to extending jail sentences rather than bringing back the death penalty

I'm for that.
Too many people let out early.
Reply 97
nuttygirl
Sorry dude, shouldn't have said that :smile: Just totally don't agree with you.

Think you should direct your apology towards me too :wink:

Just because you disagree, doesn't mean the other person is close minded.
Use your intelligence?
Rosaaa
Fancy you saying that. :wink:

And?
Mcjazz
I'm not saying you allowed it, and I very much doubt you would. But after it's been done you still pursue to follow it out by beating them at their own game and doing exactly to them what they did to someone else. That is some crazy logic.

The bit I found twisted was that you tried to make a joke of peoples lives by saying that you're for animal rights. I don't understand how you could even claim to care about animals when you quite clearly don't understand the importance of human life.

No, no, no, no, no. I never said I advocated punishing them by doing to them what they did to others (how am I supposed to punish a kiddie fiddler? **** his 5 year old daughter??) I just said they should be quickly and cleanly executed, with as little pain, mess and fuss as possible - point out to me where I said what is done to their victims should be done to them...

Twisted? When did I say I was for animal rights?? I think PETA are a bunch of headcases, but that's another argument... I understand the importance of human life, and I resent the accusation that I don't. I believe so strongly in the sanctity of innocent human life, I just believe anyone who defiles that sanctity (christ, I'm sounding like some kind of sodding religious nutter) forfeits their right to life, and human rights...

We seem to be going round in circles as you don't seem to be understanding my point - hopefully I've cleared it up above, I suggest you read it carefully.

Latest

Trending

Trending