Annoying Computer Problem..... Watch

mankoosho
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I had a problem with my RAM recently, and so bought two 1 GB Kingston Memory Cards for my computer and upgraded it. Its doing perfect, and can cope with multi-tasking now.

The problem is though, the computer freezes from time to time. The mouse does not freeze, and the curser is moving, but I cannot select anything or do anything. I solve this problem by logging off and then signing back in the computer, but its starting to get annoying.

What could possibly be the problem? Please help me.........

All advice appreciated!!!
Hedger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Download CCLeaner and it run it. You could just have loads of random **** clogging up your registries, etc.
mankoosho
Rep:
?
(Original post by loadmalz)
Download CCLeaner and it run it. You could just have loads of random **** clogging up your registries, etc.
Oh sorry, I forgot to mention that I do have CCleaner on my computer and I always "Run Cleaner".

Anyone else.......??
Hedger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What kind of stuff are you running? You may be simply 'over doing it' for the hardware you have.
mankoosho
Rep:
?
The thing is that I dont run anything sometimes and it still happens???

Like when I first turn the computer on, I wait, then reset the modem. On that very simple attempt, the computer tends to just freeze!!!
secretmessages
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
It's a long shot, but your CPU could be maxing out. Open task manager and minimise it so you've got the icon (which will display CPU usage) in your system tray, and when your computer freezes as you describe, you should be able to see how much of your CPU is being used at the time from the icon. If it is your CPU, we can then try and find out what's causing it.
mankoosho
Rep:
?
Alot of times my father opens up task manager and goes to processes and just removes all this stuff that has no use whatsoever. that seems to elliminate the problem, but is there a way or program I can install to stop random things to run on computer when they have no use.

An example of this is the ipod stuff. Even if i dont have the ipod connected and im not using itunes or anything of that sort, there are a bunch of processes that have to do with the ipod????
secretmessages
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by mankoosho)
Alot of times my father opens up task manager and goes to processes and just removes all this stuff that has no use whatsoever. that seems to elliminate the problem, but is there a way or program I can install to stop random things to run on computer when they have no use.

An example of this is the ipod stuff. Even if i dont have the ipod connected and im not using itunes or anything of that sort, there are a bunch of processes that have to do with the ipod????
If we can find out what program is using up all your CPU, then we can stop it from starting up automatically. Go to task manager, then the processes tab, then sort the list by CPU and list the top processes which have the highest percentages. Or take a screenshot.

With regards to the iPod comment, there are a few processes which idle when the iPod isn't connected, but these shouldn't be using a lot of resources.
mankoosho
Rep:
?
secretmessages
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by mankoosho)
Well that itself is fine, your CPU isn't doing much at the moment. How often does your system run really slowly as described? Is it possible to screenshot task manager again whilst your system is 'frozen'?
mankoosho
Rep:
?
Since we are talking about it, the computer is running perfectly. I will try to get a screenshot of the task manager when it freezes.

thanks for your help though!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (212)
39.41%
No - but I will (38)
7.06%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.69%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (252)
46.84%

Watched Threads