Strach2k
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I have decided to do my spoken word assessment on racism in football given recent events... But I'm looking for ideas in not to sure what my main aim will be have to give a 8 minute talk /presentation and as I'm 35 I'd love to do well and get better than a pass.
c.shell
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Is that for GCSE English?
Strach2k
Rep:
?
(Original post by c.shell)
Is that for GCSE English?
Yeah it's a gcse English night course I'm doing at college apparently it doesn't count towards the gcse but our tutor wants us to push for merit /distinction
c.shell
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Cool, I'm in Yr 11 and I did my GCSE spoken language assessment last term and I got a distinction, I think the easiest way to get a distinction is to choose a sophisticated topic which you have. Make sure that you've carefully planned your arguments before hand so you know exactly what you are going to say, and if you are going to read it word for word, I recommend writing it onto flashcards about A6 size so you don't have a large piece of paper flapping in front of you. Also practice it a lot so you know it really well, that way you can just use the flashcards to jog your memory while you are speaking so that you keep looking up at the camera, and stand up rather than sit while you are reading it out so you can hold your flashcards with one hard and gesture with the other. The most important thing while you are speaking is to take your time, it's really unlikely that you will speak too slowly and take a breath and few seconds break when you turn your flashcards over. If you do all of those things, you should get a distinction! Good luck!
Strach2k
Rep:
?
I appreciate all those points thankyou, I was meaning more the content it's obviously controversial as a sophisticated but how can i ask rhetorical questions to make people think about how we can change or do things better if it's racist its wrong!
Strach2k
Rep:
?
Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated guys...
xxlaila03xx
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Strach2k)
I have decided to do my spoken word assessment on racism in football given recent events... But I'm looking for ideas in not to sure what my main aim will be have to give a 8 minute talk /presentation and as I'm 35 I'd love to do well and get better than a pass.
We did this in Year Nine and I got a Distinction
What you want to do is pick a subject you're really passionate about, and one that you'd be able to talk effortlessly about.
Plan a beginning, middle and end to your speech and make sure it all flows together. Using some kind of presentation in the background is also useful as it backs up your points further.
Make sure what you say impacts the audience, you want to get a reaction out of them. The more enthusiasm you have about the topic you are speaking about the better.
I hope that helpsss
Strach2k
Rep:
?
(Original post by xxlaila03xx)
We did this in Year Nine and I got a Distinction
What you want to do is pick a subject you're really passionate about, and one that you'd be able to talk effortlessly about.
Plan a beginning, middle and end to your speech and make sure it all flows together. Using some kind of presentation in the background is also useful as it backs up your points further.
Make sure what you say impacts the audience, you want to get a reaction out of them. The more enthusiasm you have about the topic you are speaking about the better.
I hope that helpsss
What topic did u choose? And how did u make it controversial?
xxlaila03xx
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What topic did u choose? And how did u make it controversial?
I chose Islamophobia.
Talking about ISIS made it controversial enough :lol:
Strach2k
Rep:
?
Ohh wow brilliant topic
Strach2k
Rep:
?
Did u start out as a report what was the purpose at the end to make people think or inform them?
frogglet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
if it were climate change, Brexit, abortion, purpose ofreligion in modern life - you could represent both sides of the debate a lot easier. with racism you can't exactly represent sides of the debate without siding with racists?
Strach2k
Rep:
?
This is exactly what I'm finding it's a topic that there in my opinion isn't two sides too it's black and white racism is wrong end of..
frogglet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
This is exactly what I'm finding it's a topic that there in my opinion isn't two sides too it's black and white racism is wrong end of..
I suppose the controversy lies in whether the players were right to carry on playing and if they should have walked off in protest, and who decides how the team should react e.g. should it be up to the captain or should it be up to the direct victims of the racism (the non-white players), who is responsible for stopping this behaviour - UEFA, the police, etc, should there be sentences for the racial abusers and what should the sentence be, how do we stop this behaviour and why is it so prevalent among some European football fans.
Last edited by frogglet; 3 weeks ago
Strach2k
Rep:
?
That's some Fantastic ideas thankyou
Strach2k
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I've just delivered my presentation and I had flash cards but because I read a lot from them and put the same info up on my presentation for the audience to read the teacher that filmed it said it's a very good presentation, but a merit as I read a lot from the cards. I can't help thinking if I had another go at it I could just put pictures up and talk without cards l... Is it worth asking the teacher to re assess me or shall I be content with a merit as it doesn't count towards my gcse? Ultimately id love to get on a degree course... Am I just gutted I didn't get a distinction or being silly as I got a merit? Any thoughts appreciated... I'm on an adult gcse course and haven't been at school in 19years so...
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Call that racism?
Strach2k
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Sorry?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hull
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties - Undergraduate and Postgraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Keele University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

What offers have you received from universities?

Unconditional (42)
19.27%
Unconditional if firmed (18)
8.26%
Unconditional if insurance (2)
0.92%
Both unconditional and unconditional if firm/insurance (5)
2.29%
No unconditional offers (151)
69.27%

Watched Threads