Is it possible to share a DVD reader/rewriter? Watch

inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
As in, can one computer access the drive through another computer? I know it's possible with printers and the like, but what about the DVD reader/rewriter drives? :/ There's a game I really want to play but I don't have a DVD reader/rewriter drive thingy attached to my computer - only on my father's...
ca25
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Through your LAN yes, I assume you have networking setup between the two computers. These instructions are for XP, they should be slightly different for vista.

Right click the drive in My Computer, and choose Properties, select the sharing tab. Click on the link to confirm that you understand the risks, and check the option 'Share this folder over the network' in the 'Network Sharing and Security' section, enter an easy to remember share name and confirm the changes.

Go to the other machine, open up my computer and select 'Map Network Drive...' from the Tools menu, select a suitable drive letter, and click the browse button and navigate to and select the share you created earlier.

However depending on the game you wish to play, this may or may not work (due to Copy Protection).
inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by charith_a)
Through your LAN yes, I assume you have networking setup between the two computers. These instructions are for XP, they should be slightly different for vista.

Right click the drive in My Computer, and choose Properties, select the sharing tab. Click on the link to confirm that you understand the risks, and check the option 'Share this folder over the network' in the 'Network Sharing and Security' section, enter an easy to remember share name and confirm the changes.

Go to the other machine, open up my computer and select 'Map Network Drive...' from the Tools menu, select a suitable drive letter, and click the browse button and navigate to and select the share you created earlier.

However depending on the game you wish to play, this may or may not work (due to Copy Protection).
Thanks a lot, I'll try this
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If that fails, you could try making an ISO file from the disc and transferring that to your PC. Most modern games have measures to stop you doing this (DRM and all that jazz), but they can be circumvented.

Alternatively you could just go out and buy a DVD drive, they don't cost more than 20 quid.
ji38pkn685
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I know someone's already told you how to do it but yep, it's how we update the drivers for our printer at home. Stick it into the CD drive on the desktop, share it, and then access it through there to install it on our laptops.

You may experience lag though, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem if you're the only one using the network.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (124)
39.62%
No - but I will (17)
5.43%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.39%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (152)
48.56%

Watched Threads