AS/A2 Student; Unusual circumstance; could I stay at college for 2 weeks in august? Watch

2strong
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hey,

Basically, ive sorted out some work experience in a company that is linked with the university of cambridge, for the last 2 weeks of this August, but have no where to stay...I was wondering if it is possible to actually stay in one of the colleges (as my work ex is like 10 mins walk from the colleges)? Obviously I will pay for it, but it would be great if I could actually stay there, and seeing as there wont be (many) students there because of holidays, it wouldnt be (very) disruptive (at least I dont think so), and more importantly, there would be the space!

Im going to write a letter to all the heads of all the colleges, but apart from that, is there anywhere esle that I could inquire (formally) about this situation?

Has anyone A level student ever done this, or no any student who has, for one reason or another, stayed at a Uni during holidays?

Thanks,

2strong
coldfish
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Don't write to the heads of colleges, most colleges will have a member of staff who deals with inquiries such as these. I have a couple of friends who've done similar things, and many colleges will have rooms available.
epitome
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hi 2strong,

The colleges aren't as empty as you think -- it's conference & summer school season! The place is very rapidly filling up with visitors. (This is how the colleges make a lot of income, and it's vital business). You can try to find a room, though, and it might well be possible. It's not cheap, however, as you WILL be paying conference rates (because you have nothing to do with the University). The amount will vary according to college, but it's not a cheap option.

There is also a youth hostel? Coule try that, but again it's likely to be busy.

Also, who do you consider tobe the 'heads' of the colleges? This sort of stuff doesn't go through the Principals/Masters/Presidents. You'll want to contact the conference organisers (or domestic bursars, or housekeeping). They're the ones in charge of all this stuff.
Mata
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Pembroke has some room right now - I know someone who is staying there. He is a Peterhouse undergrad though, so that might be a factor, but there is definitely space so you could call them.
Chewwy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
a fresher at caius came up about 3 weeks before michaelmas, for cubc training. caius wouldn't give him his (or anyone's) room, and he ended up living with all the waiters and kitchen staff!
2strong
Rep:
?
michaelmas?
2strong
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mata)
Pembroke has some room right now - I know someone who is staying there. He is a Peterhouse undergrad though, so that might be a factor, but there is definitely space so you could call them.
do you know approximately how much he/she's paying? And do you know who he/she contacted to get the place? thanks
Mata
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 2strong)
do you know approximately how much he/she's paying? And do you know who he/she contacted to get the place? thanks
He's paying £27 per night, and got the admissions administrator (who happened to be around) to call someone in their office.

It might be worth calling the plodge and asking if its possible, before you call an office.
SunderX
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 2strong)
My College (Churchill) has conference rates of 35 pounds/night. I write pounds because I have no pound symbol on my keyboard ^_^.

Conversely, I'm staying in the same rooms over part of summer doing a work placement for the Computer Lab, and I get rates of 77 pounds/week for summertime, since I'm a member of the college.

If you're actually a fresher coming up, you might be able to wangle reduced college rates. Otherwise, it might be a better idea to look for somewhere cheaper, or even crash with a friend who has a room.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (558)
37.78%
No - but I will (115)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (103)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (701)
47.46%

Watched Threads