The parliament might stop clocks changing in 2021 Watch

DGeorge13
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Personally I feel there are arguments on both sides. I think this was trialled a few decades ago and didn’t gain much support . Personally I like the dark evenings
Greywolftwo
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by OR321)
Parliament say a lot of things, it ain’t gonna happen lmao
Well it probably will, it will save money and be better for everyone, the rest of Europe is doing it
Greywolftwo
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
Putting the clocks back in the winter is an industrial policy and we are now living in a post industrial one. Far fewer people start work early in the morning than was the case say 30 years ago.

We should have BST all year round. We would save lives I believe if we did (better mental health and fewer road crashes).
It was a wartime thing I’m pretty sure as well, the rest of Europe is scrapping it
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
Why?
North of Scotland suffers from a more severe effect due to it, because of their latitude. Historically they've been against any change to the current system.
Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Drewski)
North of Scotland suffers from a more severe effect due to it, because of their latitude. Historically they've been against any change to the current system.
Cheers mare, did not know that
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Mi Nuh Care
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Not folk who have been doing UTC to BST translation for the last six months.
Wōden
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
Yes it is. It gives farmers more daylight in the morning. However, since most serious agriculture is fast becoming computer controlled using GPS, daylight is somewhat obsolete. For the average Joe dark evenings are just depressing.
Why didn't they just have a lie in and start work later during the Winter months? Fiddling around with the clocks doesn't actually give you any more hours of daylight in a day, it doesn't magically change the Earth's relative position to the Sun. The whole notion of putting clocks backwards and forwards seems to me to have been a pretty pointless excercise from the very start, it makes little sense at all when you really think about it.
Homills
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by idontkn)
What is everyone’s view on this?
The public won’t allow it
saying that we hardly have a democracy anymore but honestly winter gives me that extra hour I need!
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Wōden)
Why didn't they just have a lie in and start work later during the Winter months? Fiddling around with the clocks doesn't actually give you any more hours of daylight in a day, it doesn't magically change the Earth's relative position to the Sun. The whole notion of putting clocks backwards and forwards seems to me to have been a pretty pointless excercise from the very start, it makes little sense at all when you really think about it.
In the 80s around 1 million people worked on the land. Before then even more. Argriculture was a massive thing.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
Putting the clocks back in the winter is an industrial policy and we are now living in a post industrial one. Far fewer people start work early in the morning than was the case say 30 years ago.

We should have BST all year round. We would save lives I believe if we did (better mental health and fewer road crashes).
Precisely. The tabloids pointed to some additional accidents in the morning, ignoring the considerably greater reduction in accidents in the evening. Putting us on BST permanently will actually save lives, not that anyone wants to hear it.
OMG354
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I agree !!! Women must also have a peanus
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm not sure who in the north of Scotland is supposed to be seriously opposing it. The National Farmers Union's Scotland section opposed it historically, but for a good decade now they've been saying they're broadly fine with it.
OMG354
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by L i b)
I'm not sure who in the north of Scotland is supposed to be seriously opposing it. The National Farmers Union's Scotland section opposed it historically, but for a good decade now they've been saying they're broadly fine with it.
I think it is Benjamin franklin who would do that tho
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Wōden)
Well, ultimately when you change the clocks, you change the time that rush hour on the roads happens, when children leave school and so on. Yes, you could adjust millions of people's contracts at work and so on, but it's easier just to change the timezone.
OMG354
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by L i b)
Well, ultimately when you change the clocks, you change the time that rush hour on the roads happens, when children leave school and so on. Yes, you could adjust millions of people's contracts at work and so on, but it's easier just to change the timezone.
I disagree
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by CTLeafez)
Why do we even have day light savings...?

Obviously to maintain as many hours of the working day being light as possible but isn’t it also to do with harvests or something? 🤨
We had double summer time during WWII, where we were UTC+2. Personally, I like the clocks going back in the autumn and all that entails. In some parts of northern Scotland, it wouldn't be light until getting on for 10am near the solstice, and we don't need to give the SNP any more ammunition.
OMG354
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
We had double summer time during WWII, where we were UTC+2. Personally, I like the clocks going back in the autumn and all that entails. In some parts of northern Scotland, it wouldn't be light until getting on for 10am near the solstice, and we don't need to give the SNP any more ammunition.
Yes, but sometimes no
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If Scotland becomes independent then they can be different if wished
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It would be more beneficial in Scotland than other parts of the country. The evidence shows that people are consistently more alert in the morning than in the evening - hence why the pilot projects that moved the time further forward showed a net reduction in accidents overall, even if there were some more in the morning as a result of the lower light.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

what's your favourite season?

Summer (14)
28.57%
Spring (8)
16.33%
Autumn/Fall (13)
26.53%
Winter (8)
16.33%
I love them all equally (6)
12.24%