What Career? Watch

trefusis128
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hey all, im 16 and just about to start my A levels.

I know what your thinking- this question is a tiny bit premature aye?
Im not particuarly drawn onto any path, and no one career seems to leap out at me.

Hopefully I'll have a Eureka moment soon but do any of you have basic advice on whats a good paying career? but also satisfactory. I want to feel part of the community and helpful, with reknown and respect for my career.

Im thinking of taking;
Geography
Biology
Economics
English Lit
& Politics

At A level but other than that- the world is my lobster.

Im expecting 12 A* to C at GCSE btw.

Thanks in advance
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
We'd need to know more about you than that, you have no particular interests or anything?

Also what do you consider a "good paying career". The average salary is 23k, I'm guessing more than that? How much more

It's great if you know what you want to do from an early age. The reality is most of us don't. I know many people graduating from university with no real career plans. Just concentrate on doing solid A-levels that you enjoy (you shouldn't have any problems with those, in terms of "respectability" and you'll find out what you want to do in time.
trefusis128
Rep:
?
Well I enjoy writting, and Im ruddy good at arguing. So that would suggest Law or Politics?

As to what a "good wage" I would say atleast 50k in adulthood.

Although wage is far from the most important thing for me and this again screams legal or political service.
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just the geography and politics A-levels (if they led to a geography,politics or related degree) plus the "helping the community" could suggest town planning (involved in the planning and development of urban and rural environments). Salaries, with experience is around 30-35k or so. It's only really heads of department, and directors that earn 60-90k. This will take many years to get to this level and, given that only a select few do, there's no guarentee.

Yes there's law, any idea of area? Even this often isn't always a fast track to big bucks. There's also the Civil service fast stream, it'll take a few years before you start earning around that figure (although I don't really think there's any "helping the community".

Have you used the "What jobs will suit me" on Prospects? You'll need to register first but once registered you answer two sets of questions (one on your skills and the other on your motivation). It then comes up with career areas and specific careers that you seem well suited to.

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowP...Xm?mode=try_pp
trefusis128
Rep:
?
Signed up and filled in.

Legal and finance were both good matches and psychology also had good relevance.
Good site, cheers for pointing it out!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (61)
37.89%
No - but I will (6)
3.73%
No - I don't want to (10)
6.21%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (84)
52.17%

Watched Threads