Cambelt problems... Watch

stew1988
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi,

So I was on my way to the airport to go on holiday for a week last wednesday, and of all times for it to do it, it broke down!!..

Now, the car I drive is a 2002 reg Renault Clio DCI, and Renault themselves recommend that the cambelt is changed at 72000miles or every 5 years.
When I bought the car 6 months ago it would have been 5 and a half, and it had done 78000.. Therefore the person before me I presume should have got it changed but obviously didnt..

So I phoned the AA, who very helpfully took us to the airport and took my car home.
Upon looking at it, the bloke said he thought it was either the cambelt snapped, or the cambelt tensioners had gone..

I was just wondering -

1. If there is anything I could do with regards the person before me not changing the cambelt (I did actually buy it from a garage)

2. What the difference in price is between it being either the cambelt or the cambelt tensioners.. ie is the cambelt tensioners a smaller job etc..

Any answers would be useful.. just looking to get a bit of knowledge from somebody who knows more than me, without actually going to a garage that is probably gonna feed me a load of nonsense and con me anyway!!

Cheers..!
Lara C.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
the cost of the tensioner or belt is irrelevant. they are both very very cheap. what you should be concerned about is the damage it may have caused. incorrect timing can very easily total an engine in mear seconds. if this has happened, you will need a new engine. theres no two ways about it.

unfortunately you dont really have any come-back unless its still under warrenty. its your responsibility to look at the service history yourself and decide whether or not you will buy it.
stew1988
Rep:
?
k, cheers
Oddball
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I agree Lara, I can't really see any come-back unless under warranty.

Snapped cambelt can cause piston and valve to strike - warping and bending everything, which is a biggie. Get it checked out, I've got my fingers crossed for you.
stew1988
Rep:
?
Thanks oddball.. Car was only £3k. Somebody has already said that at the worse it could be around £1000+..

Thinking of alternative things to getting it repaired, maybe flogging it on ebay for spares or repair.. Probably be happy to get £1500 for it or something
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You need to find out if it is an interference or none-interference engine.

If it is the latter it will be a cheap fix. If it is the former, it's new engine time.
div curl F = 0
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If your engine is somehow undamaged (either very lucky or non-interference heads) then change the cam belt and the tensioners; tensioners have been known to fail on there own. Also if the water pump is driven off the cam belt then it would probably be a good idea to change that as well while its all off.
Né Stig
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Normally if anything like a water pump or tensioner fails, the cambelt slips causing valves to run amok.

Need to remove the cambelt cover to just see whether it's gone.

A £1,000 fix is a bit cheap IMO if the cambelt has gone (taking into consideration JC comments). You can expect many new parts and an awful amount of labour - and many returns to the garage after if they haven't done it properly.
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My brother snapped the cam belt on his Corsa last year.
As that particular engine was none interference it cost him 60 notes and me an afternoon of swearing.

A grand does sound a bit cheap for a new engine. Although, it'd be foolish to bin the engine without doing a tear down. If it's only a case of changing the valves in the head, lapping them in, new head gasket or even junking the head and fitting a new one you might find a garage that will do it for around 400 plus parts.

I don't know. It all depends on what has been damaged and how badly.

It's a pity you're not any closer as i'd offer to take the head off for you and inspect it.
stew1988
Rep:
?
Thanks for all your comments.. Luckily my Grans brother in law used to be a mechanic, although hes goin on 70 now lol.. Hes comin on Monday to strip the engine and see the damage and then gonna take it from there.. So wish me luck, il keep you posted..

Thanks again
stew1988
Rep:
?
Just an update on my cambelt problem if your interested... I needed new cylinder head, camshaft and 5 new valves - managed to pick all that up for £215 from scrappys..

Also needed new gasket cover and water pump..

Total parts - £380
Total labour - £100 (Family)
+ hes gonna service it for me, Result!!!

Garage quotes were -
Local garage - £950ish
Renault garage - £1400ish

Anybody think manufacturer garages are full of ****????

Hopefully be back on the road in 2-3 days..
gbduo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Bloody hell...that is an amazing deal!

Guess you have learnt your lesson to check the service book now then!
stew1988
Rep:
?
(Original post by gbduo)
Guess you have learnt your lesson to check the service book now then!
Well the guy who sold me the car told me it had been serviced, and also had a new cambelt.. Was obviously talkin aload of crap

The guy who i bought it off was a car dealer aswell...
gbduo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeh, so you have learnt never to trust anyone when buying a car!

Always check the documentation! Don't trust anyone!
stew1988
Rep:
?
(Original post by gbduo)
Yeh, so you have learnt never to trust anyone when buying a car!

Always check the documentation! Don't trust anyone!
ye ok, soz
gbduo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That's alright, it wasn't a lecture, it was more of a statement!

Sorry if i sounded demeaning, that was not the object, just to highlight the fact that some people are scumbags.

Which you probably already knew...ah well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (216)
39.34%
No - but I will (38)
6.92%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.56%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (259)
47.18%

Watched Threads