May_Fly
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi! I am going to be taking some exams soon for 11+. I am really nervous. The assessment is verbal and non-verbal reasoning and maths. I have done some practice in Schofield&Sims books but they seem rather easy for the standard of the school. I am also not sure how long I should study for each day, as I have school. Any help with study time and what online papers/books I could use would be great! Thank you. xx
CatInTheCorner
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by May_Fly)
Hi! I am going to be taking some exams soon for 11+. I am really nervous. The assessment is verbal and non-verbal reasoning and maths. I have done some practice in Schofield&Sims books but they seem rather easy for the standard of the school. I am also not sure how long I should study for each day, as I have school. Any help with study time and what online papers/books I could use would be great! Thank you. xx
Hey, Year 11 here who did a LOT of 11+ exams (like 6) and got in all of them.

There are lots of videos online for reasoning and such, and I really really recommend those. Here's one, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXWiccU5nJk . The key is to spot a pattern, choose one part of it and watch how it changes. Also, don't be afraid to shut your eyes, imagine the shape in your head, and put your arms out and twist them. That's what I did, and I looked like an idiot, yes, but I got a very good score.

For maths, do lots of practice questions, these resources are great:
- maths genie (I LOVE this website for GCSE)
- hegarty maths on youtube
- CGP books

The most important thing is that you show you understand the material. If there's something you don't like, (long multiplication was the bane of my existence) do it loads. Also, there are lots of practice papers on the internet that I strongly recommend doing.

You've got this.
May_Fly
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by CatInTheCorner)
Hey, Year 11 here who did a LOT of 11+ exams (like 6) and got in all of them.

There are lots of videos online for reasoning and such, and I really really recommend those. Here's one, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXWiccU5nJk . The key is to spot a pattern, choose one part of it and watch how it changes. Also, don't be afraid to shut your eyes, imagine the shape in your head, and put your arms out and twist them. That's what I did, and I looked like an idiot, yes, but I got a very good score.

For maths, do lots of practice questions, these resources are great:
- maths genie (I LOVE this website for GCSE)
- hegarty maths on youtube
- CGP books

The most important thing is that you show you understand the material. If there's something you don't like, (long multiplication was the bane of my existence) do it loads. Also, there are lots of practice papers on the internet that I strongly recommend doing.

You've got this.
Thank you! I will try those websites. It's in 3 weeks!!
CatInTheCorner
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Thank you! I will try those websites. It's in 3 weeks!
Hey! How did it go? I'm sure you did great whatever the outcome!
Zakariyaislam
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey man, I'm yr 11 now so i think i can give you some fair advice. Don't know if you've done the exam now but idc, here goes:

- Don't be worried about the test man. Everyone has nerves its normal. I was sh*tting myself before the test i was that nervous and i got rlly high still. So chill.

- I'm surprised you don't have an extra English section but ur lucky mate. English was hard for me and it was my strong point.

- The sims & schofield stuff is way to easy for the test rather do KSOL or CGP practice stuff that's what i used.

- You should study between 2-3 hrs a day. I did way more but after like 2 hrs my brain kinda shutdown so it was pointless in my opinion to do more than that.

- CGP and KSOL are the best, maybe some Bond books if you're amateur.

Hope this helps!
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Zakariyaislam)
- You should study between 2-3 hrs a day. I did way more but after like 2 hrs my brain kinda shutdown so it was pointless in my opinion to do more than that.
That seems excessive. It's is meant to be a test of ability, not learning, and there are people who do extremely well without any practice or with only a couple of hours in total.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (519)
33.75%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (636)
41.35%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (313)
20.35%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed