Differences between genders... stereotypes etc. Watch

hnm
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
If a girl gets caught in a fight or becomes attacked, they are taught to scream so that others can help them. But boys are taught to fight back and to generally be more aggressive. Girls are taught to like delicate things such as flowers. Boys are taught to like football and sports.

In this world, we are too concerned about gender and the stereotypes surrounding each gender sometimes can not let us see beyond that. I think boys and girls are actually very similar (apart from the obvious) and I don't like how the world keeps trying to exaggerate our differences. There are more differences within each individual than there are between males and females.

Maybe these stereotypes are the reasons for comments such as "you can't hit a girl". Girls are portrayed to be these delicate things who aren't aggressive. They are submissive according to the stereotype. And weak. Women who are strong or "tough" are negatively called "butch". Who's to blame? I think it's aspects of human nature, but mostly the media.

Men can't cry without being called a "pussy" or whatever. Men who are slightly sensitive are called "gay" in a negative way. Sure, men in general are probably not as emotional as girls... you can state some evolutionary arguments, but there are plenty who do not fall into the "manly" stereotype. All these minor differences are being exaggerated to the point where I think girls cry EVEN MORE than they would without these stereotypes. Men also hold back their emotions more because of the stereotypes. People sometimes say "the stereotype is there for a reason", but I think sometimes stereotypes can perpetuate conformity to that particular stereotype.

It's hard to explain fully what I mean, and I just typed that from the top of my head. I wonder if anyone can understand bits of what I'm trying to say?

Any thoughts?
Aemiliana
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I hate gender stereotypes, I can be quite aggresive when I need/want to be and quite enjoyed kickboxing before it got too expensive (after my free lessons LOL). I quite like sports, but I don't like it when people are better at something than me, making joing a team virtually impossible. Flowers are stupid and have no place in the house - only in gardens becaus of the whole wolrd-needs-them thing. I don't like gardens either.
WithFlyingColours
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't like this whole 'males can't multi-task' stereotypical farce and it gets used by females far too much for my liking. That sort of thing is better judge on an individual level rather than a gender level.
bballer4life
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
some might say it comes from the baisc caveman human culture

as in the men were the protectors, and the women ahd children, so they had to 'looked after'

but i guess in this day and age, its completely unrelevant
hnm
Rep:
?
(Original post by WithFlyingColours)
I don't like this whole 'males can't multi-task' stereotypical farce and it gets used by females far too much for my liking. That sort of thing is better judge on an individual level rather than a gender level.
I think this is the case with nearly all the stereotypes I hear about. "Girls can't drive", "boys can't think with his brain, only his penis" etc.

These really affect our perceptions of the world and I really don't like it. I wonder what life would be like without such harsh stereotypes, and where everybody is judged on individual qualities. I guess at least someone is going to reply that I'm too idealistic.
imomo16
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You don't have to conform to stereotypes, if people find it strange or tell you you shouldn't be acting like that than that's their problem, not yours.
In my experience its really only stupid people who assume people should conform to gender roles like being macho or girly or whatever.
There's plenty of thinking people who know all that is a load of *******s, so don't feel too disheartened. Not everyone is an ignorant dumbass.
RJ555
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yup, I hate these stereotypes too, I once read an article where the writer radically suggested "all boys should be taught through physical exercises" as they couldn'tcope with an academic environment. :/ Its shocking stuff.
bballer4life
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
also, why is it acceptable for a woman to slap a man. but if a man slapped a woman in the exact situation, he would be cast down in societies eyes?
PirateGirl
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by bballer4life)
also, why is it acceptable for a woman to slap a man. but if a man slapped a woman in the exact situation, he would be cast down in societies eyes?
Because you have to agree, a man hitting a woman would cause quite a bit more physical damage than a woman hitting a man. But yeah, on a moral level I agree that it's the same and should be treated as such.
hnm
Rep:
?
Then again slapping in general should be frowned upon.
Poica
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Go read some Joan Scott.
SoundDevastation
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by hnm)
If a girl gets caught in a fight or becomes attacked, they are taught to scream so that others can help them. But boys are taught to fight back and to generally be more aggressive. Girls are taught to like delicate things such as flowers. Boys are taught to like football and sports.

In this world, we are too concerned about gender and the stereotypes surrounding each gender sometimes can not let us see beyond that. I think boys and girls are actually very similar (apart from the obvious) and I don't like how the world keeps trying to exaggerate our differences. There are more differences within each individual than there are between males and females.

Maybe these stereotypes are the reasons for comments such as "you can't hit a girl". Girls are portrayed to be these delicate things who aren't aggressive. They are submissive according to the stereotype. And weak. Women who are strong or "tough" are negatively called "butch". Who's to blame? I think it's aspects of human nature, but mostly the media.

Men can't cry without being called a "pussy" or whatever. Men who are slightly sensitive are called "gay" in a negative way. Sure, men in general are probably not as emotional as girls... you can state some evolutionary arguments, but there are plenty who do not fall into the "manly" stereotype. All these minor differences are being exaggerated to the point where I think girls cry EVEN MORE than they would without these stereotypes. Men also hold back their emotions more because of the stereotypes. People sometimes say "the stereotype is there for a reason", but I think sometimes stereotypes can perpetuate conformity to that particular stereotype.

It's hard to explain fully what I mean, and I just typed that from the top of my head. I wonder if anyone can understand bits of what I'm trying to say?

Any thoughts?
I hate gender stereotypes. I am biologically female though i connect to the female stereotype as little as possible. Im not transgender - more gender-less, I try to avoid anything that is stereotyped to either gender.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.66%
No - but I will (103)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (637)
47.79%

Watched Threads