Err Driving Without Insurance... Watch

web_surfer17
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I live quite a distance from where i work, takes me an hour and a half each day travelling and its always a killer. The thing is, it would only take 20mins to and from work if i drive. I just qualified last month, did all that pass plus shizz a week ago. No one else is driving in my household so i would pretty much be the named driver. After the holiday im definitely planning to get a car, maybe a cheap old banger of some sort. Ive been shopping online for cheap insurance, the cheapest i found was around 3k which was only a 3rd party one and doesnt even include fire and theft.

Lately, ive been pondering the thought of getting a car without insurance and i've been wondering what are the penalties of driving while uninsured? Has anyone here been driving while uninsured??
stew1988
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
dont know what the penalties are, but if you have a crash or get caught, your probably gonna have a hefty fine and possibly your licence taken off you.. Its not recommended!! Albeit being illegal!!

The best thing to do is to get a cheap banger as you put it, but aim for a 1.1 litre or even lower!! Then shop around for insurance on like www.elephant.co.uk or www.moneysupermarket.com etc..

Find an insurance company that will insure young drivers for cheap, the one the springs to my mind is Quinn Direct (I went with them when I was 18, with 1 years no claims and was driving a 1.6 Seat Ibiza Sport for £1100 a year on third party, fire and theft..)

Stick with third party fire and theft, because although not the best it is going to be the cheapest, by a considerable amount..

Once you get a few years no claims behind ya, you can move up to bigger and better cars!!

I currently drive a 1.5 Clio, and my insurance is £450 with Quinn direct, on TPFT!

But defo, dont drive without insurance!!
dh00001
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
dont be a ****.
moneyballs2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You can get up to 8 points and a fine up to £5000, you also are very likely to be disqualified. Points stay on your licence for a long time before they become 'spent'...

Don't drive without insurance. You wouldn't like it if you were hit by an uninsured driver and then you had to hassle your insurance company, I think some people also lose their no claims bonus due to uninsured drivers (not 100% sure on this though)
Kyle_S-C
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by web_surfer17)
I live quite a distance from where i work, takes me an hour and a half each day travelling and its always a killer. The thing is, it would only take 20mins to and from work if i drive. I just qualified last month, did all that pass plus shizz a week ago. No one else is driving in my household so i would pretty much be the named driver. After the holiday im definitely planning to get a car, maybe a cheap old banger of some sort. Ive been shopping online for cheap insurance, the cheapest i found was around 3k which was only a 3rd party one and doesnt even include fire and theft.

Lately, ive been pondering the thought of getting a car without insurance and i've been wondering what are the penalties of driving while uninsured? Has anyone here been driving while uninsured??
Don't do it, the penalties aren't worth it and it's incredibly inconsiderate. It's not there to protect you, it's to protect other people from you. You should be able to get insurance premiums much lower than £3000 without too much trouble. Insurance premiums for young drivers can be high, but they're not all that high.

As for the penalties, apparently:

Upon conviction there can be a fine of up to £5,000, between 6-8 penalty points imposed on the licence and the court can impose discretionary driving ban.
supernova2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Like dh said, don't be a complete ******. I hate people that just think about themselves and do this. If someone crashed into me and wasn't insured I'd probably flip.
kftjkp
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why not be a named driver on someone else's insurance?
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Realistically, you will get a significant fine and probably a six month or one year ban. If the car doesn't have anyone insured on it (as you suggest this one would not), every time you go past a traffic police car their camera will register you and you will be pulled over. At that point, you're scuppered.
Rosaaa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Mong.
Syntax Terrier
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Third party only is more expensive than third party, fire and theft.

Check out that.
frankie_sez_relax
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Penalties are 6 points. So you lose your licence. (as its less than 2 years old)

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/money/featu...uninsured.html

Plus if you hit me, who has 3rd party fire and theft. I'll break your face.
Philosoraptor
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Plus guess what - if you don't have insurance
Apart from the £5000 fine/6-8 points/discretionary driving ban - your car can and will be seized off you. Great stuff.

Don't do it.
RightSaidJames
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you don't care about the car, get third party insurance, or possibly third party, fire and theft (apparently it's cheaper, presumably the logic is that if you don't want your car to be stolen or catch on fire, you'll also be more careful whilst driving). That way, you're completely legal, and if you hit someone else's car, their house or even the corner of a pub (which is what the idiot round the corner did whilst driving drunk...), your insurance company will pick up the tab. If you don't get any insurance at all, you're just being a **** by pushing everyone else's premiums up, and if you get caught, you're screwed.

As for the price.... your insurance should be well below £3000 if you go to the right place, especially if it's an old car. Use confused.com, and make sure you put your details in correctly.
Ed.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The fact is if you are caught you will lose your license - you only need 6 points in the first year- so even the minimum points would make you have to re-sit your theory and practical tests. + heavy fine.

basically if you drive without insurance you are a ****wit.
Bavarian Motor Works
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Twunt tbqfh

That sums this thread up nicely
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Consider a cheap classic car - classic car policies are VERY cheap compared to modern cars.

My first car when I was 17 was a '77 Triumph Spitfire 1500 convertible.
Insurance was around 700 quid.

If you were to look at other cars such as beetles, Morris Minors etc insurance might be even less.
I was quoted just 500 on a morris minor 1000 saloon when I was 17
MuseValheru
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I believe the penalty is life in prison if you kill somebody! Now dont be stupid and buy insurance. We all have to go through it, its a pain and expensive but thats life.
Lara C.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
at 3k your looking at the wrong cars mate. also try putting the excess up, that brings the quote down alot.
james99
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
Consider a cheap classic car - classic car policies are VERY cheap compared to modern cars.

My first car when I was 17 was a '77 Triumph Spitfire 1500 convertible.
Insurance was around 700 quid.

If you were to look at other cars such as beetles, Morris Minors etc insurance might be even less.
I was quoted just 500 on a morris minor 1000 saloon when I was 17
Just checked this out on confused.com cos I was interested. Found a Morris Minor for £950 on autotrader, can be insured for £618 (or about £300 with 2 years NCB). Not bad at all! Don't know what they're like to drive though, heh.
Lara C.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by james99)
Don't know what they're like to drive though, heh.
think + 4 wheels.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (362)
37.51%
No - but I will (74)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (67)
6.94%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (462)
47.88%

Watched Threads