The Student Room Group

Malpractice on Exam Script

I was rather bemused to be beckoned to my senior tutor's office today at lunch. I went in and she started telling me how she had recieved a letter from OCR about my Geography paper. I had written a story instead of the answers and the examiner had sent it back to the college writing about malpractice because the story contained one (in context) swear word. It was not sent to the exams officer but to the principal who wanted to put me on dismissal warning (v. serious). I talked to the tutor about why I did it (I hate geography) and she said she'd have a chat with the principal.

It freaked me out a bit, it turns out examiners have to read every word on an exam paper. I just thought they would have to cross it out and write zero. I was fully expecting to get a U. Instead now I don't even get that, I have to pay £12 for the exam and I don't get my EMA July bonus. Frikken annoying if you ask me but I suppose that's what you get when you try to avoid scooping your own eyes out with boredom.

Just a warning to others and whether anyone else had this problem.

Scroll to see replies

No offense, but you deserve it. You're exactly right, examiners have to read every word - what if you'd decided to answer the questions seriously, later in the paper?

You ought to be ashamed - you've wasted an examiner's valuable time, which could have been better spent marking another, worthier candidate's work. Someone else might be inadvertently affected by this, and subsequently get a lower mark.
The crux is, it's entirely fair that you should have to recompensate somewhere along the line, financially, in this case.

If you didn't want to do the exam, you should have just left, or dropped the subject. Instead, you just wasted not only time, but the school's (taxpayers', if it's a state school) money used to enter you for the exam.

Did you only keep Geography on so that you could get EMA?
Reply 2
Greatleysteg
No offense, but you deserve it. You're exactly right, examiners have to read every word - what if you'd decided to answer the questions seriously, later in the paper?

Well, I didn't know that or I wouldn't have done it. It isn't explained to anyone.

You ought to be ashamed - you've wasted an examiner's valuable time, which could have been better spent marking another, worthier candidate's work. Someone else might be inadvertently affected by this, and subsequently get a lower mark.
The crux is, it's entirely fair that you should have to recompensate somewhere along the line, financially, in this case.

They still got paid the same ammount for marking mine as anyone elses, surely? And the thing about someone elses is something I feel bad about but like I said I didn't know.

If you didn't want to do the exam, you should have just left, or dropped the subject. Instead, you just wasted not only time, but the school's (taxpayers', if it's a state school) money used to enter you for the exam.

The college wouldn't let me drop it. They said if I dropped it I wouldn't be a "full time" student and started threatening me with £100s of fees which was enough to keep me there. And the EMA thing too.

No offence but you seem a bit harsh on someone who didn't realise what he was doing. I don't think it really hurt anyone that much. Only me.
Reply 3
^^ I think this is a slight exaggeration. It's not like examiners don't get paid to read crap on papers.

Anyway you shouldn't have done it, you should pay up and learn your lesson.
Reply 4
kftjkp
^^ I think this is a slight exaggeration. It's not like examiners don't get paid to read crap on papers.

Anyway you shouldn't have done it, you should pay up and learn your lesson.

I have a distinct feeling the Access fund at college will be paying up not me (defeating the object of the fine).

It is never said that you can't do what you want. It should say on the exam that you must only answer the questions in the space. Then I'd have stabbed myself in the face with a pen to stop me getting bored.
Reply 5
Oops... was the story related to the subject at all?

I'm a bit worried about one of my papers now! I didn't quite write a story but I did spend a lot of it insulting one of the characters in my English Lit text - got a bit carried away.

In one of my others I wrote a little note to the examiner saying sorry for the bullet points (ran out of time) & my messy handwriting and thanks to them for marking it - it was a horrible essay, I didn't want them to think badly of me.

I hope I don't get in trouble! :frown:
Reply 6
I have no sympathy for you.
Reply 7
Greatleysteg

Sir, your high horse galloped away when your back was turned just then.
Reply 8
One word sums up this thread: OWNED.
Reply 9
If we're going to be incredibly pedantic here, I'd say it takes less time to skim read an unrelated story than it does to read full answers, compare them to the mark scheme, and decide what they're worth- so you needn't worry excessively about that aspect :p: I think the main point is that you've accepted that the consequences extended further than you anticipated, which is relatively common in an exam situation, because you just fill in the paper and receive your marks a few months later; you don't really think about the process of it being sent to a real person, them reading it etc.
Reply 10
vixky!
Oops... was the story related to the subject at all?

I'm a bit worried about one of my papers now! I didn't quite write a story but I did spend a lot of it insulting one of the characters in my English Lit text - got a bit carried away.

In one of my others I wrote a little note to the examiner saying sorry for the bullet points (ran out of time) & my messy handwriting and thanks to them for marking it - it was a horrible essay, I didn't want them to think badly of me.

I hope I don't get in trouble! :frown:

Depends on the examiner really. I obviously got lumbered with a particuarly piffed off one.

I wouldn't worry though, no point and it probably won't amount to anything.

The story wasn't realated to the subject, the first one was a study of a man on a tube train. The narrator made up a life around this man and when he got off the man in the story threw himself under a train.

The offending line (which was circled) was "What the **** was he doing with his life?"

Could anyone find that genuinely offensive?
I think it's quite an exaggeration, if you ask me.

No one will like this, but what the hell, I'll say it anyway.

Once the examiners realized that the story on the paper wasn't an answer to a question but just a simple story, they should have gone on to the next question and started grading that. You can't be telling me that they've been brainwashed to read every single word and when they find a whole bucketful of useless ones, they're unable to move their eyes off the line. It never says anywhere on the paper not to write irrelevant crap. In fact, I'm sure some people actually answered the question and wrote the same kind of useless stuff the OP did.

I agree that it was rather dumb to have written a story during the exam - that wasn't the real problem, was it? It was the swear word. Anyway, you did something wrong - but doesn't OCR have anything better to do than send out malpractice letters?

They could spend the time grading someone else's paper.
Reply 12
I have sympathy for you Op - and not just because you come from Norfolk - the examiner was getting paid to mark the script whatever it contained, he sounds a bit of a pedantic ass complaining.
Reply 13
Hope they agree that my Chuck Norris answers to the one general studies exam I went too are the only real answers and that if they don't agree they'll get round house kicked in the jaw

PS. I have sympathy with you, those flaming you are a bit backwards, socially
Reply 14
MimbleWimble
I think it's quite an exaggeration, if you ask me.

No one will like this, but what the hell, I'll say it anyway.

Once the examiners realized that the story on the paper wasn't an answer to a question but just a simple story, they should have gone on to the next question and started grading that. You can't be telling me that they've been brainwashed to read every single word and when they find a whole bucketful of useless ones, they're unable to move their eyes off the line. It never says anywhere on the paper not to write irrelevant crap. In fact, I'm sure some people actually answered the question and wrote the same kind of useless stuff the OP did.

I agree that it was rather dumb to have written a story during the exam - that wasn't the real problem, was it? It was the swear word. Anyway, you did something wrong - but doesn't OCR have anything better to do than send out malpractice letters?

They could spend the time grading someone else's paper.

It suprised me that someone, sat at home, reading papers would feel so strongly about the use of a swear word, in context, that they would flag it up, send it back to the exam board, who process it, type up a letter, photocopy the script, staple it together, find the college's address and the principal's name, post the letter and then for my college to have to deal with it.
Greatleysteg

Which they are paid (rather well) for.

He shouldn't of sworn but when the rules and regulations are read out, it doesn't say anywhere that you cannot answer the question irrelevently or swear. I would actually complain and make a fuss if my bonus was taken away because of it.
And it isn't like people don't swear every single day anyway, and one extra word in context - one that wasn't even insulting an examiner or OCR (or was it, haha) - would rub someone the wrong way.
You actually thought you could get away with writing it? I don't understand why people bother. If you don't want to do the exam just... don't turn up. :p:
Reply 18
MimbleWimble
And it isn't like people don't swear every single day anyway, and one extra word in context - one that wasn't even insulting an examiner or OCR (or was it, haha) - would rub someone the wrong way.

The idea of malpractice is for people that write "LOLZ **** YOU OCR" on their exam paper. Even my senior tutor agreed on that point. I think the whole thing is a waste of time but to put me on dismissal warning for this is pathetic. Luckily my senior tutor is one of the best people in the world and I trust the college principal is a decent man. I think loosing £112 over this is what bites most. I will most certainly not be adding to OCR's canon of shame in the future.
Reply 19
inksplodge
You actually thought you could get away with writing it? I don't understand why people bother. If you don't want to do the exam just... don't turn up. :p:

EMA bonus. £100 will make me turn up.

And why wouldn't I have thought I could get away with it. Nothing on the exam paper/pre-exam speech/posters in the room say "only answer the question in the space".

Anyway I remember swearing in context in my GCSE English Language paper about a soldier in the Iraq War and getting an A*.

!MEna
You could have at least tried to answer the questions in the exam. That's just plain arrogance and laziness. You deserve what you get. I'm sure you'll find a way to pay the fine with our money.

Don't think I didn't try to but I had the same level of understanding going into that exam as I did at the start of the year. And maybe it was arrogance but not laziness. Takes more effort to write 6 pages of story off the top of your head. I actually feel quite cocky that it's your money paying for the exam. Especially since you refer to it as "our money" thus trying to make out that because I am able to claim access fund because my mum works in a low-paid job that somehow I don't work or pay tax and I avoid VAT on items. Nice that.

Cheers. I love people like you. Kind of makes me want to scrounge just to rub my giro in your face. But I don't and nor does my family.

Latest