The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Sounds like they're trying to make an example after that guy got 2 marks for swearing in a GCSE paper...

should've given the paper a shot, positive marking, an E beats a U

and the school shouldn't've threatened you with fees for becoming a part time student, educations free to under 19s...
paperclip
Sounds like they're trying to make an example after that guy got 2 marks for swearing in a GCSE paper...

My first thought too. :rolleyes:

91 exams were reviewed due to obscene language last year.
0 were disallowed.

Well, if you want to go to court, you might have a good case. :tongue: Just forget about it, don't make life harder for yourself.
Reply 42
Sending you a letter concerning a swear word is ridiculous. At least you bothered turning up tbf, your not telling me that nobody else doesn't bother trying in an exam, we had loads of people in our school doing AS General Studies who probably did exactly the same, they all thought it was a joke.
Reply 43
MimbleWimble

Well, if you want to go to court.

Over £12 I'm not going to pay and a U in a subject I don't want?
Nah.

If this was politics I would be angry. But I wouldn't swear in a politics exam.
Reply 44
I really hope you don't recieve any offers when you apply to university for being so lazy and arrogant.Not liking a subject does not give you the right to waste an examiner's time with such rubbish.Are you seriously expecting LSE, a top 10 university to even THINK about giving you an offer?You might as well cut your losses right away and forget it because nobody that lazy is going to get into a top 20/30 university never mind the likes of LSE.
Reply 45
Louisdf
I really hope you don't recieve any offers when you apply to university for being so lazy and arrogant.Not liking a subject does not give you the right to waste an examiner's time with such rubbish.Are you seriously expecting LSE, a top 10 university to even THINK about giving you an offer?You might as well cut your losses right away and forget it because nobody that lazy is going to get into a top 20/30 university never mind the likes of LSE.

Frankly my dear I don't give a damn.

I'm not applying to LSE anyway. I won't get the grades but I'm glad you can be so up-yourself about it. Clearly you have so much experience in university applications being an applications officer at LSE for 20 years. Oh no. Wait. You're still in school.

Hm.

I will be applying to universities based on my grades in my A2s and my predicted grades based on my AS. Not my performance in a geography exam. It will not be on references and it won't be in my personal statement.

It's always nice to know there are wonderful people out there like you who take it upon themselves to judge me, my academic standards, my personality, my university applications and my future on an incident I have admitted was stupid and arrogant of me.

Thanks.
I hope you don't get any offers for university too but then I'm sure you'll blow them away with your wit and charm at any interviews and if not you can use your expert knowlege of the applications process to work it in your favour. :biggrin:
Norfolkadam
EMA bonus. £100 will make me turn up.

And why wouldn't I have thought I could get away with it. Nothing on the exam paper/pre-exam speech/posters in the room say "only answer the question in the space".

Anyway I remember swearing in context in my GCSE English Language paper about a soldier in the Iraq War and getting an A*.

Yeah but you're allowed to use swear words in language papers; it is an aspect of language... It would be more frowned upon in other subjects... I wouldn't sacrifice the £100 bonus for the sake of a silly story that had no relevance to my subject. :eek: Bad luck, though.
Reply 47
inksplodge
I wouldn't sacrifice the £100 bonus for the sake of a silly story that had no relevance to my subject.

Nor me.

I had no idea it would be sent back or that what I was doing was against the vague and contradictory rules set out by OCR but not relayed to students.

By the way the quote in your signiture is the same one I scrawled on the front of my philosophy folder. Great minds think alike.
Reply 48
Norfolkadam
I will be applying to universities based on my grades in my A2s and my predicted grades based on my AS. Not my performance in a geography exam. It will not be on references and it won't be in my personal statement.

I'm afraid, under the UCAS rules, you have to put down every qualification, even if you get Us (or so I was told when I rang UCAS last October). I don't think you can decline grades either now.
Norfolkadam
Nor me.

I had no idea it would be sent back or that what I was doing was against the vague and contradictory rules set out by OCR but not relayed to students.

By the way the quote in your signiture is the same one I scrawled on the front of my philosophy folder. Great minds think alike.

Maybe they should make it clearer to candidates, then - write crap and you run the risk of being punished. :p:

Yes, indeed. It's one of my favourites. :biggrin:
Reply 50
rkd
I'm afraid, under the UCAS rules, you have to put down every qualification, even if you get Us (or so I was told when I rang UCAS last October). I don't think you can decline grades either now.

You just write pending for those you don't want to disclose. I have a feeling that since the exam has been withdrawn I won't get an AS in the subject at all so in a way it's turned out quite well. Except for the whole £112 and the angry principal.
Reply 51
Norfolkadam
You just write pending for those you don't want to disclose. I have a feeling that since the exam has been withdrawn I won't get an AS in the subject at all so in a way it's turned out quite well. Except for the whole £112 and the angry principal.

If it's not pending - such as if you've dropped it and it's been certificated - then that's against the UCAS rules, and can result in your application being cancelled yadda yadda yadda. Might want to give them a ring and check, though, I suspect the guy who told me you have to declare U grades might have just been a phone slave erring on the side of caution.
Reply 52
rkd
If it's not pending - such as if you've dropped it and it's been certificated - then that's against the UCAS rules, and can result in your application being cancelled yadda yadda yadda. Might want to give them a ring and check, though, I suspect the guy who told me you have to declare U grades might have just been a phone slave erring on the side of caution.

I have to see the admissions officer here at my college on Tuesday anyway so I'll have a chat with her about it. I'm not worried if it does say U as I can explain my reasons adequately in a University application and I'm hoping the places I'm applying to will be below my predicted grades.
callum9999
Which they are paid (rather well) for.

He shouldn't of sworn but when the rules and regulations are read out, it doesn't say anywhere that you cannot answer the question irrelevently or swear. I would actually complain and make a fuss if my bonus was taken away because of it.

Actually, they're paid pennies - a mere pittance per paper.
Norfolkadam
Just a quick heads up to whoever "neg repped" me with the words Mr Blobby. Without capital letters I should add.

I'm assuming that was a reference to my weight. If it was. Lol. You may think I care, that somehow that was an intelligent and witty comment but t'was no more witty than the chav who shouted "FAT" at me on the bus today. Nor are you a better person by doing it through a website. Why didn't you post here saying why you disapproved of my actions/my weight? Why didn't you at least tell me who you are so I may have a fair chance of a witty comeback or at least a punch?

Just a quick rant because unlike most people who neg rep me with pointless insults this person wasn't a neutral repper and thus has had some kind of experience on this website which I have found to be a mainly friendly place. Mainly.

It is mainly a friendly place. I think you should just ignore that rep - the fact that they didn't leave their name shows that they obviously aren't worth being bothered about. :smile:
Reply 55
Greatleysteg

If that is the case then why kick up a fuss about this? I don't see that it adversely affected anyone other than me.
Reply 56
Greatleysteg
It is mainly a friendly place. I think you should just ignore that rep - the fact that they didn't leave their name shows that they obviously aren't worth being bothered about. :smile:

I always do. It ain't the first and it wasn't the last. I've had about 4 vis a vie this thread all along the same lines. All but that one were neutral.
Reply 57
vixky!
Oops... was the story related to the subject at all?

I'm a bit worried about one of my papers now! I didn't quite write a story but I did spend a lot of it insulting one of the characters in my English Lit text - got a bit carried away.

In one of my others I wrote a little note to the examiner saying sorry for the bullet points (ran out of time) & my messy handwriting and thanks to them for marking it - it was a horrible essay, I didn't want them to think badly of me.

I hope I don't get in trouble! :frown:

I'm sure you will be fine, Im the messiest person you will find, and some papers I have basically crossed out and smudged every other word, but they still find the time to mark them. Sometimes I don't know how.
As long as you are on the right side of being legible.
It won't effect your mark, as im sure many examiners read the first two or 3 paragraphs and the conclusion. Very few read the whole essay anyways.

And bullet points only lose you like the 4 quality of written communication marks, in most exams. Not sure about English but I guess it would be the same.
Greatleysteg

Says who? 4 seperate teachers who mark exam scripts have said they pay really well.
Reply 59
Norfolkadam
Frankly my dear I don't give a damn.

I'm not applying to LSE anyway. I won't get the grades but I'm glad you can be so up-yourself about it. Clearly you have so much experience in university applications being an applications officer at LSE for 20 years. Oh no. Wait. You're still in school.

Hm.

It's always nice to know there are wonderful people out there like you who take it upon themselves to judge me, my academic standards, my personality, my university applications and my future on an incident I have admitted was stupid and arrogant of me.

Thanks.
I hope you don't get any offers for university too but then I'm sure you'll blow them away with your wit and charm at any interviews and if not you can use your expert knowlege of the applications process to work it in your favour. :biggrin:

Don't worry I have already got my offers by March this year.And just because you feel that Geography is feel irrelevant because you didn't find it appealing, it doesn't mean the admissions tutors will feel that it is irrelevant too.You have to disclose ALL of your grades for all of your subjects, not just grades for the subjects you like/did well in.I'm not the biggest fan of geography either (I did it at AS) but it is an academic subject and just because you don't enjoy it, that doesn't give you an excuse to sit off whilst claiming EMA payments and then turn around and say that you are shocked that you have to pay up for your laziness.If you didn't like it, you should have dropped it.

Latest