Tell me about Birkbeck! Watch

Milady de Winter
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I'm considering applying to Birkbeck for a PhD in History (because I can then live at home, thus saving my few pennies!)

Can anyone give me a general impression of what it's like to study there, especially at PhD level? I've looked through the website and prospectus, but was hoping to get some more 'personal' impressions of the place. Thanks! :p:
pharmakos
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm doing a PhD in literature at UCL. I've been to several events hosted by Birkbeck. In terms of literary studies, I must say Birkbeck has a more lively research environment than UCL. Besides, Birkbeck has an internationally renowned institute for the humanities thanks to its co-director Slavoj Zizek. Not sure about history, though.
oriel historian
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Milady de Winter)
I'm considering applying to Birkbeck for a PhD in History (because I can then live at home, thus saving my few pennies!)

Can anyone give me a general impression of what it's like to study there, especially at PhD level? I've looked through the website and prospectus, but was hoping to get some more 'personal' impressions of the place. Thanks! :p:
Eric Hobsbawm... what more. Go visit it http://www.bbk.ac.uk/events/openeve

next one's on the 4th of September but I reckon you can get a gander out of them sooner. They've got some good names there fore history but few 'big' names other than Orlando Figes. If it means being able to do it versus not being able to do it and having to put off the 'dream' as it were; personally, I'd go for it. Who would supervise you is the thing you might want to consider...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (412)
37.83%
No - but I will (83)
7.62%
No - I don't want to (75)
6.89%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (519)
47.66%

Watched Threads