sap786
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello I am currently in my second year of A-Levels and I am doing Biology, Economics and Psychology. I really wish I did Chemistry as I want to now do medicine (but at the time of picking my subjects, I wanted to do economics at uni). I could just apply for Economics degrees however I don’t think I will really enjoy this as much and I am more passionate about medicine. Would it be possible for me to take a gap year to do Chemistry A-Level alone (rather than at school or college) so I can also get lots of work experience/ practice for UCAT etc and then apply for medicine in October 2020?
student0299
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m not sure how it would work exactly taking chemistry in just one year (you may be able to take the exam privately and get a tutor but with the practical side of it you may need to ask your school to help you out). Is there any way that you could do AS chemistry this year and carry on doing A2 next year with your gap year? I know a girl who did something like that but she wasn’t applying for medicine so I’m not sure how unis would see it and whether they would accept it
Also look around as some unis don’t require chemistry for medicine. Again I had a friend who didn’t do chemistry and found some unis which didn’t require it for medicine and she ended up getting two offers. I think with this you’ll have to look around and call admissions to ask whether you need chemistry or not, if it’s not listed on their websites
sap786
Rep:
?
(Original post by student0299)
I’m not sure how it would work exactly taking chemistry in just one year (you may be able to take the exam privately and get a tutor but with the practical side of it you may need to ask your school to help you out). Is there any way that you could do AS chemistry this year and carry on doing A2 next year with your gap year? I know a girl who did something like that but she wasn’t applying for medicine so I’m not sure how unis would see it and whether they would accept it
Also look around as some unis don’t require chemistry for medicine. Again I had a friend who didn’t do chemistry and found some unis which didn’t require it for medicine and she ended up getting two offers. I think with this you’ll have to look around and call admissions to ask whether you need chemistry or not, if it’s not listed on their websites
Thanks for the quick reply! Yes I was thinking of doing Chemistry AS this year and the A-Level next year. Also, I can’t apply for any medicine courses now as the deadline has finished. I also haven’t sat the UCAT and got much relevant work experience- this is why I want to take a gap year and apply next year. If I do still apply for Economics this year, can I still apply next year for medicine or not?
student0299
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sap786)
Thanks for the quick reply! Yes I was thinking of doing Chemistry AS this year and the A-Level next year. Also, I can’t apply for any medicine courses now as the deadline has finished. I also haven’t sat the UCAT and got much relevant work experience- this is why I want to take a gap year and apply next year. If I do still apply for Economics this year, can I still apply next year for medicine or not?
Yeah of course you can. There’s many options that people don’t tell you about. One being you can apply got economics if you want (but I don’t know why you would if you want to do medicine anyway) and then reject any offers you get
If you really want to do medicine the only thing I can say is take a gap year since the deadline has now passed. Also if you have any friends doing medicine they’ll be able to give you some good advice about applying. It would be a good idea to take the ukcat earlier so if there are any unis in clearing for medicine you can try and see if you can get in that way and hopefully by then you’ll have work experience
sap786
Rep:
?
(Original post by student0299)
Yeah of course you can. There’s many options that people don’t tell you about. One being you can apply got economics if you want (but I don’t know why you would if you want to do medicine anyway) and then reject any offers you get
If you really want to do medicine the only thing I can say is take a gap year since the deadline has now passed. Also if you have any friends doing medicine they’ll be able to give you some good advice about applying. It would be a good idea to take the ukcat earlier so if there are any unis in clearing for medicine you can try and see if you can get in that way and hopefully by then you’ll have work experience
Thanks a lot!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (54)
16.98%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.62%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (119)
37.42%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (43)
13.52%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.46%

Watched Threads