Staying in halls in second year of uni. Watch

SpacePatroFan189
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I've just received an email from Unite Students saying that existing customers can re-book to stay with them in the 2020/2021 year. I was very surprised at this I didn't think my university (Portsmouth) allowed students to stay in halls in their second year.

I've been a bit stressed (not too much, of course) about second year housing as I'm not sure what my current flatmates are doing and I've only made one good friend so it's not like I have loads of people who would want to share with me. Are there any obvious advantages or disadvantages to staying in halls in your second year of university?
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by SpacePatroFan189)
I've just received an email from Unite Students saying that existing customers can re-book to stay with them in the 2020/2021 year. I was very surprised at this I didn't think my university (Portsmouth) allowed students to stay in halls in their second year.

I've been a bit stressed (not too much, of course) about second year housing as I'm not sure what my current flatmates are doing and I've only made one good friend so it's not like I have loads of people who would want to share with me. Are there any obvious advantages or disadvantages to staying in halls in your second year of university?
Unite is a private company not affiliated with your university, so they will let any student stay for as long as they want. You will potentially meet more friends (i.e. a new group of people), but equally you could meet people who are already in set friendship groups. Maybe ask what your good friend is doing first - some halls/flats cater for two people.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago

I have the same problem with you now but I have found my flatmates to move out from the halls next year. If you are planning to stay in the halls next year, you only have two options to choose, either Chaucer House or Greetham Street. I booked the viewing to look at the studios two days ago. For me, I think it's too small and it isn't worth paying 195 pounds per week. Don't worry, you still have time to make friends or you can try ask your flatmates and see.
SpacePatroFan189
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have the same problem with you now but I have found my flatmates to move out from the halls next year. If you are planning to stay in the halls next year, you only have two options to choose, either Chaucer House or Greetham Street. I booked the viewing to look at the studios two days ago. For me, I think it's too small and it isn't worth paying 195 pounds per week. Don't worry, you still have time to make friends or you can try ask your flatmates and see.
I know, Unite Students absolutely weren't clear about en-suite rooms strictly being for first years! I don't want to live in a studio due to both the price and the fact that I don't want to actively isolate myself from others. Looks like I'll be getting a house like everyone else after all, for better or worse.

Also, would you happen to know when the deadline for applying for housing is?
Last edited by SpacePatroFan189; 1 week ago
Anonymous #1
Report 5 days ago
I know, Unite Students absolutely weren't clear about en-suite rooms strictly being for first years! I don't want to live in a studio due to both the price and the fact that I don't want to actively isolate myself from others. Looks like I'll be getting a house like everyone else after all, for better or worse.

Also, would you happen to know when the deadline for applying for housing is?
There isn't any deadline for applying of housing, they just said that it is better if you can solve the housing problem before Christmas.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (113)
64.94%
No (61)
35.06%

Watched Threads