grief Watch

garethDT
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
My friend died suddenly in an accident at the weekend and I'm feeling really bad about it.

For the first day or so it didn't really sink in but since then most of this week I've been pretty depressed. Thing is I've not really been crying and now I'm starting to feel better about things but that makes me feel guilty. My friends who saw it happen are pretty traumatised and I really don't want it to seem to them that I've 'moved on' when I see them.

This is the first time i've encountered death since I was a little kid so I don't really know how to react. Has anyone got any advice on how I can help my friends through it?
fatal
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Everyone deals with sudden death differently. Its understandable that your friends that saw it happen will maybe find it more difficult to get over it, but it doesn't mean that you should hinder your emotional progress to suit them. If you have come to terms with what has happened, even a little, no one will blame you.

I'm very sorry for your loss. x
Malsy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just cry with them until they are stronger and feel they've 'recovered' and remember Time is the best heeler.
Thats the best thing you can do. Grieve togteher. I mean you can't exactly say to them 'ok lets have a game of footy and a laugh' at a time like this. Give them more time to move on. You have moved on fast and obviously they haven't hich is fine. Everyone is different and take different amount of times to 'move on'. So just respect that they haven't moved on yet and try to be strong for them sees as you kind of have.
You can be the one thats keeps them going by allowing them to be upset and talking together and always remembering the friend you lost.

hope that helps a little-Good luck and take care.X
Bear_Grylls
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just act how you feel, but if they are more upset, then be bit more considerate with them, its upsetting, but life moves on, just talk to your friends about the funny/good memories you have of your mate, it'll help them move on
alexa123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sorry to hear about your friends death, it is never easy. Everyone grieves in their own way, and just because people have times when they feel better and more up-beat doesnt mean they arent sad about the events that have happened. Let your friend know you are here for him/her if they want to talk or just need someone around for them, you are all going through the same thing in your own way.
People dont get over the loss of people, they just learn to cope, different people in different ways and you must do what is best for you.

once again sorry and take care xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (377)
37.48%
No - but I will (76)
7.55%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.06%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (482)
47.91%

Watched Threads