Is a Business Management and Japanese Studies degree worth anything to Employers?

Watch
The Lonely don
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Im thinking of Doing this at Sheffield Uni. But i am curious as to

1. How employers view joint honour degrees?
2.What are my options post graduation?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by The Lonely don)

Look at the department website and the DLHE Data and see what they say. You can also check on LinkedIn for graduates. To be useful for employers it would have to have a substantial amount of Japanese language, otherwise, it would always be better and easier to hire a Japanese person with business skills.

Joint degrees do half the work on normal degrees in a single subject - so work out if you'd be competitive in business, or Japan, otherwise it's the opportunities in the combination that matter - and as above, without full language functionality ....
The Lonely don
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Look at the department website and the DLHE Data and see what they say. You can also check on LinkedIn for graduates. To be useful for employers it would have to have a substantial amount of Japanese language, otherwise, it would always be better and easier to hire a Japanese person with business skills.

Joint degrees do half the work on normal degrees in a single subject - so work out if you'd be competitive in business, or Japan, otherwise it's the opportunities in the combination that matter - and as above, without full language functionality ....
Well according to Sheffield Uni you actually learn the language to a good level. Which is unusual as im sure normal Japanese studie degrees just focus on cultural stuff
Smack
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago

I'm not sure about the Japanese aspect, but a business management degree should open up various commercial opportunities. Does the degree offer a placement of some sort (e.g. year in industry)?
The Lonely don
Rep:
?
(Original post by Smack)
I'm not sure about the Japanese aspect, but a business management degree should open up various commercial opportunities. Does the degree offer a placement of some sort (e.g. year in industry)?
Havent checked. There IS a year abroad in japan for year 3.

That has gotta be worth something to employers?
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Havent checked. There IS a year abroad in japan for year 3.

That has gotta be worth something to employers?
UK employers working in Japan and needing to employ UK people to work out there or with Japanese - do you like the fishing industry?
The Lonely don
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
UK employers working in Japan and needing to employ UK people to work out there or with Japanese - do you like the fishing industry?
Your funny. Have a cookie🍪
username738914
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
if you can get to at least ~JLPT N1/N2 by the end of the program you could go to one of the career forums (London, Boston, LA or Tokyo) and possibly secure a grad job in japan.
Last edited by username738914; 11 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (66)
14.93%
I'm not sure (16)
3.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (148)
33.48%
I have already dropped out (7)
1.58%
I'm not a current university student (205)
46.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed