SarahCrest
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I have received an interview for Geography. Wahoo!

However, I am bit stuck with the interview tasks they have sent me..

The interview is next Friday.

Task 1 - Topics under discussion will be current in terms of secondary education. - This gives us loads of examples, but I want to bring up my own topic that will really stand out. Any ideas?

Task 2 - Written Task. This involves completing a piece of written work (specific to your subject area). - Does this mean specific to Geography or specific to my subject knowledge as my degree is in Psychology?

Also, any ideas what this could? Ie. Lesson plan, marking students work, literacy, numeracy tests, and a short subject knowledge test.

My degree isn't related to Geography and I haven't studied this since A-Level. Will I be penalised for this? Or are they using this to decide whether I need further knowledge enhancement course?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Teacher2Bee
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Task 1 - Topics under discussion will be current in terms of secondary education. - This gives us loads of examples, but I want to bring up my own topic that will really stand out. Any ideas?

You could consider looking at IDL (interdisciplinary learning) topics? So you could take one of the aforementioned topics and discuss how you could extend it across the curriculum to make use of transferable skills from different subjects to enrich their knowledge and understanding.

Task 2 - Written Task. This involves completing a piece of written work (specific to your subject area). - Does this mean specific to Geography or specific to my subject knowledge as my degree is in Psychology?

I would presume this is on the subject you are looking to study - geography. I assume this will check your knowledge level.

In terms of not studying geography since school - I applied for Secondary Education with History, and I had not done anything history related since 2004, and that's when I left school. A lot of what you study at degree level is much higher or not of the same content that is on the curriculum. What I would have taught in Scottish schools, I did not cover at university level. So I would not worry about this, as a teacher you prepare your lesson plans and lessons in advance, giving you ample time to prepare your knowledge on the topics.

I hope this helps.
Discrepancy
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Good luck 👌 i studied geography at A-level and it’s really fun.

I am going to be doing a psychology undergraduate degree and I’m thinking of going to study geography or even teaching it to be honest.
SarahCrest
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Discrepancy)
Good luck 👌 i studied geography at A-level and it’s really fun.

I am going to be doing a psychology undergraduate degree and I’m thinking of going to study geography or even teaching it to be honest.
I studied A-Level Geography as well, but still went on to do Psychology, and then decided to teach Geography aha. I do love Geography!
SarahCrest
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Teacher2Bee)

You could consider looking at IDL (interdisciplinary learning) topics? So you could take one of the aforementioned topics and discuss how you could extend it across the curriculum to make use of transferable skills from different subjects to enrich their knowledge and understanding.

I would presume this is on the subject you are looking to study - geography. I assume this will check your knowledge level.

In terms of not studying geography since school - I applied for Secondary Education with History, and I had not done anything history related since 2004, and that's when I left school. A lot of what you study at degree level is much higher or not of the same content that is on the curriculum. What I would have taught in Scottish schools, I did not cover at university level. So I would not worry about this, as a teacher you prepare your lesson plans and lessons in advance, giving you ample time to prepare your knowledge on the topics.

I hope this helps.
Thank you for your in depth reply. It has been really helpful in helping me prep for my interview.

It feels me with a little more confidence to know that knowledge isn't exactly a key part of the interview, I assume they would just make me take a knowledge enhancement course or something similar.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
They are interested in two things :

1) Your understanding of the reality of teaching in secondary schools - either because you have worked in one, or you have done some sensible homework about this.

2) Your ability to communicate an idea in the subject you intend to teach. Are you engaging/convincing, and when questioned do you have appropriate knowledge and the ability to think on your feet.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (187)
19.1%
Labour (419)
42.8%
Liberal Democrats (189)
19.31%
Green Party (53)
5.41%
Brexit Party (26)
2.66%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.41%
SNP (12)
1.23%
Plaid Cymru (10)
1.02%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.1%
Sinn Fein (2)
0.2%
SDLP (1)
0.1%
Ulster Unionist (2)