Why is it so hard to get a job with 2 degrees? Watch

abn0125
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I have a 2:1 BSc degree in Criminology and am just about to graduate with a Merit (2:1) MSc degree also in Criminology. I'm looking at government/ authority etc kind of jobs. They all require 1. some sort of policing back ground?? If I wanted to be a police officer I could have done that without GCSE's let alone a degree!!! 2. you need to have some sort of equivalent to a PC/DC which is ridiculous because where can you get those?? I spent the last year working in youth work for minimum wage, hugely underpaid for the work I was doing. I was the lowest paid individual in the place I worked despite being the most qualified? Even the receptionists were paid more than I was. I cannot even get jobs in Tesco etc to see me through due to me being grossly over qualified. What on earth do I do now? Im so angry that i've wasted 4 years and got myself a whole lot of student debt for really nothing. I was in a better off situation when I was 17 working in retail.
LemonMan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Do you have a Scholarship in Nintendo's 'Super Smash Bros Ultimate' competitive play? XD
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Getting a job is mostly a matter of luck, networking and personal recommendations.
An old flatmate was making hundreds of pounds a week tutoring people how to play a variety of mobile phones and online games. :confused:
I've never played a computer game and don't understand why people want to, let alone pay for a games tutor.
trapking
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Brexit.

UK is stale.
Zzzzzzz17
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
My dad is also struggling to find a job at the moment and he literally has 5 degrees....
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Sorry for the bump, but why would anyone assume that getting a degree is a guarantee for getting a job?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by abn0125)
I have a 2:1 BSc degree in Criminology and am just about to graduate with a Merit (2:1) MSc degree also in Criminology. I'm looking at government/ authority etc kind of jobs. They all require 1. some sort of policing back ground?? If I wanted to be a police officer I could have done that without GCSE's let alone a degree!!! 2. you need to have some sort of equivalent to a PC/DC which is ridiculous because where can you get those?? I spent the last year working in youth work for minimum wage, hugely underpaid for the work I was doing. I was the lowest paid individual in the place I worked despite being the most qualified? Even the receptionists were paid more than I was. I cannot even get jobs in Tesco etc to see me through due to me being grossly over qualified. What on earth do I do now? Im so angry that i've wasted 4 years and got myself a whole lot of student debt for really nothing. I was in a better off situation when I was 17 working in retail.
The thing about doing a non vocational degree is that you have to give a lot of thought during your studies as to what you are going to do after it. If you wanted to work in a people centred career, for example, you could have chosen to do a Masters in Youth Work, Social work, Careers or Teaching, but you chose to do another non vocational course.

You don't need a policing background to work in the civil service which has schemes open to graduates of any discipline - so does the police service. I would say your masters probably was a waste of time and money since it didn't make you any more employable than your undergraduate degree, but you made that decision as an intelligent adult so can't really blame anyone else for it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

what's your favourite season?

Summer (62)
32.8%
Spring (35)
18.52%
Autumn/Fall (46)
24.34%
Winter (36)
19.05%
I love them all equally (10)
5.29%