Previous skills and experience VS personal statement?

Watch
adventuresofz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi all!

I'm applying for a junior role with the civil service but the application sections are rather confusing. One box asks for employment history and directly beneath that is another box for "previous skills and experience". The next page asks for a personal statement.

For the employment history section I have listed my previous jobs along with detailed bullet points explaining my roles, achievements and responsibilities. For the personal statement, I have written detailed examples of competencies listed in the civil service success profiles and job description, along with motivation for applying. I feel that covers all the bases and am left wondering what on earth I should put into the previous skills and experience section without sounding like a broken record? Shall I just rewrite the things I've written in the PS? I've literally rinsed all of my notable achievements for the PS which has a 1000 word limit!

Also not sure how to structure the previous skills and experience bit... shall I just write a skill as a heading then give examples underneath? Is it fine to repeat examples used in my PS?

Thanks so much for your help.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by adventuresofz)
Hi all!

I'm applying for a junior role with the civil service but the application sections are rather confusing. One box asks for employment history and directly beneath that is another box for "previous skills and experience". The next page asks for a personal statement.

For the employment history section I have listed my previous jobs along with detailed bullet points explaining my roles, achievements and responsibilities. For the personal statement, I have written detailed examples of competencies listed in the civil service success profiles and job description, along with motivation for applying. I feel that covers all the bases and am left wondering what on earth I should put into the previous skills and experience section without sounding like a broken record? Shall I just rewrite the things I've written in the PS? I've literally rinsed all of my notable achievements for the PS which has a 1000 word limit!

Also not sure how to structure the previous skills and experience bit... shall I just write a skill as a heading then give examples underneath? Is it fine to repeat examples used in my PS?

Don't write what you want to write in the format you expect, split all you've got into their three headings - employment history, skills and experience, personal statement.

It would seem that employment history ought to be just that, and you cover the CS competencies in skills and experience and in personal statement you give a standard cover letter saying why you want to do this sort of work, why with the CS and then highlight your top 3 skills.
Bakingmad13
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by adventuresofz)
Hi all!

Hi there, hope you don't mind me asking how the application went. I am currently in the same boat applying for an EO role. It is difficult to fill in the previous skills and experience without repeating what I have in the work experience part so I think I should cut that down and elaborate more in the skills section. For the civil service it seems each department require something different. The last application I did was an online test then essays on behaviours!

Hope you did well and got the job!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
60.08%
I don't have everything I need (99)
39.92%

Watched Threads