L plates that don't fly off...?! Watch

>Anna<
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi

I'm learning to drive at the moment and I have a small problem, in that the L plates on my car keep coming lose and flapping about while I'm driving. I've been using the sticky ones from Halfords and I remember my sister had the same problem with both magnetic and sticky (which I believe were also from Halfords). Is this something specific to Halford L plates or does it happen with other brands? And does anyone know where I can get some plates that won't fly off?

Thank you!

xxx
Rocking-Rob
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You can get one for the inside that stick to the glass, but I used magnetic ones from halfords and had no issues with them.
JasiClai
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I bought some Halford magnetic L plates around a few months ago and one fell off purely because I didn't wipe the car's surface properly. I have bought another set since and had no problems, I think it's just one of those things, if the sun is shining on the L Plate (Magnetic), there is less grip - I have found this because it did slightly stain my car.

Sorry i'm not really much help!
xxx
scaryhair
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Perhaps you've just been unlucky with both, try another brand? My magnetic L plates are brilliant, I've never had any problems with them.
>Anna<
Rep:
?
Thanks =D
My dad sellotaped my L plates to the inside of the windscreen but someone told me it's illegal as it obstructs your view?
I think I'll try giving my car a good wash and putting some magnetic ones on instead.
xxx
Rocking-Rob
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Illegal as it obstructs your view? sounds pretty crazy, especially as sellotape is clear.

I hardly think you would be pulled over for some sellotape on your windscreen as it is almost impossible to see from a distance.
scaryhair
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Rocking-Rob)
Illegal as it obstructs your view? sounds pretty crazy, especially as sellotape is clear.

I hardly think you would be pulled over for some sellotape on your windscreen as it is almost impossible to see from a distance.
I think she meant the actual L plate was obstructing her view - it was on the windscreen after all.
Lara C.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i remember this happening when i was driving. especially if you passed a wagon or something.
tinkerbellejess
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Drive slower :p:

(sorry that wasn't helpful in the slightest!)
crazyjoyce
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
hole punch them and zip tie onto front grill or similar
>Anna<
Rep:
?
I was talking about the plate. I'm not sure if it's true that it's illegal though. I drove past a police car yesterday with them taped to the windscreen and they didn't pull me over or anything...

Thanks for the suggestion crazyjoice - I might give that a try.

haha, and don't worry tinkerbellejess, I can assure i drive within the speed limits at all times!

xxx
Kelly^2
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I drive with mine taped to the inside of the window, never had any hassle. I started doing this because I lost two sets.
lemoncake sucks
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That has happened to me twice lol
princess_sue
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I had magnetic ones. no idea where they were from, 17th bday present. Never had any problems until the week before I passed my test when I thought something hit my windscreen....got home to find out my L Plate was gone. Drove back 3 days later & there is was. my sister uses the same ones & hasnt had a problem.
RightSaidJames
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by crazyjoyce)
hole punch them and zip tie onto front grill or similar
That's what we did.

Anyway, I think the best magnetic L plates are the ones are where the wholeof the back is magnetic, as opposed to just a thin strip at the top and bottom.
Rob801
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by RightSaidJames)
That's what we did.

Anyway, I think the best magnetic L plates are the ones are where the wholeof the back is magnetic, as opposed to just a thin strip at the top and bottom.
Ditto, I had magnetic on the back and zip tied on the front. When my brother was learning the magnetic one kept flying off the front, so when I learnt we just hole punched a stick on one and used zip ties to hold it onto the grill.
KAv.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i put magnetic ones i found once on my mates car for a joke but they fell off somewhere... maybe you could just tape them to the car
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Couldnt you stick them behind the mirror?
Can't obstruct your view any more than the mirror eh!
RightSaidJames
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How about a big flag on the top that says "I'm a learner driver, keep out the way if you want to keep your car intact!" :p:
georgia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm going to go with the whole L-plates on the inside of the car thing, I had to do that because our car is a weird shape and it's fine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (24)
48%
No - but I will (1)
2%
No - I don't want to (1)
2%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (24)
48%

Watched Threads