My BMR! Watch

polka_dott
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Okay I worked out my BMR WITH the exercise I do (gym 4 times a week, will be going up to 5)and walking 2 miles 3-4 times a week to and from work that its like over 2300!! Would this be true?? I have put on weight reccently and am 5'9" and female but it still seems a lot. Does this mean I'll need to eat 1800 a day to lose weight?
Bebbs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
doesnt sound amazingly high. What calcuatlor did you use?

Yes if your BMR is 2300 eat 1800 for 1;b/week fat loss
nota bene
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't get this - what exactly have you calculated? BMR means Basal metabolic rate i.e. what you burn from just being alive; in this you cannot say 'with exercise' or whatever.

A fairly normal BMR for a girl who is small-ish would be 1200-1800kcal (depending a lot on your build, metabolism etc.), but can also be a bit higher (I'm male, but my BMR is quite close to 2400). If you upon this do exercise worth maybe 700kcal a day, i.e. total kcal burnt by your body is 1900-2500, then you should at most be 500kcal under this for weightloss, but never below your BMR.
Bebbs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
for some reason people always shorten Basic + basal metabolic rate to BMR. Where basic is total cals burned: basal + any exercise. Since she said she used her daily activities ive assumed its base MR.
polka_dott
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I first calculated what I needed if I lay in bed all day - 1523 cals and then timed it by 1.55 because I work out 4-5 times a week but not every single day and it came out over 2300 cals.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (512)
37.76%
No - but I will (104)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (93)
6.86%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (647)
47.71%

Watched Threads