wintersun22
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Someone please give me some advice. I have already posted a thread regarding my problem but I feel like I haven't explained properly. University has caused my anxiety to resurface, I started in September. I'm on medication as well. I feel I am minorly depressed. My mood keeps cycling and I cant make a decision. It has manifested itself badly, I couldn't cope at uni, have come back home, told about 20 people what I'm going through, chatted to strangers online about it, asked on this forum. I'm panicking everyday. I want a good University experience, I want a good degree, I want a life also where I'm not constantly shaking my legs with anxiety. Out of university, I don't just want a degree, I want an experience but I lived in the future when deciding my university and last minute decided it. Now I'm going to a University close to home, the contact hours are a lot and the course is known as being hard. The workload is not too overwhelming atm but it will be and I want to know that I can cope with it and I want a social life alongside. I need some independence I feel to cope with my anxiety and with self care and to mature as a person. I am considering dropping out and moving elsewhere after taking a gap year. Somewhere slightly further away from home, I get scared about the consequences of my actions and panic so I tell my mum a lot, perhaps too much when I'm breaking down. I don't know if moving universities will change anything but I feel like I need to go elsewhere. Am I being unreasonable? I'm just finding it hard to be myself in a University that is too close to home and a University that my sister wants to go to. She is a lot calmer and driven than myself and would like to do the same course. But I want to be away from my family so I can separate myself from their expectations of me. I would have to stay home for another year, listen to people saying that I dropped out but I don't know if I can keep going there. On one hand, I feel like moving back to accommodation but I am scared that I will come back home again, unable to cope. I know though that I would not like to commute under any circumstances. What should I do??? I am just scared that if I wear clothes my mum doesn't like, she'll find out etc. Even though the majority of the time, I'll be studying. I just want to know that time's not running away and I will be somewhere where I want to be for 3/4 years. I might be being silly but its something that I really want. Dropping out is also a big risk so either way I just feel trapped. The university is great, it is just it's proximity to home that I cannot get over.
Last edited by wintersun22; 1 month ago
za45
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just remember it will all be worth it. Don't overthink it. Be prepared, organised and on track at least you know that you have given it your all.
Please msg me back, i really would like to support you through your journey.
UniversityOfSunderland
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by wintersun22)
Someone please give me some advice. I have already posted a thread regarding my problem but I feel like I haven't explained properly. University has caused my anxiety to resurface, I started in September. I'm on medication as well. I feel I am minorly depressed. My mood keeps cycling and I cant make a decision. It has manifested itself badly, I couldn't cope at uni, have come back home, told about 20 people what I'm going through, chatted to strangers online about it, asked on this forum. I'm panicking everyday. I want a good University experience, I want a good degree, I want a life also where I'm not constantly shaking my legs with anxiety. Out of university, I don't just want a degree, I want an experience but I lived in the future when deciding my university and last minute decided it. Now I'm going to a University close to home, the contact hours are a lot and the course is known as being hard. The workload is not too overwhelming atm but it will be and I want to know that I can cope with it and I want a social life alongside. I need some independence I feel to cope with my anxiety and with self care and to mature as a person. I am considering dropping out and moving elsewhere after taking a gap year. Somewhere slightly further away from home, I get scared about the consequences of my actions and panic so I tell my mum a lot, perhaps too much when I'm breaking down. I don't know if moving universities will change anything but I feel like I need to go elsewhere. Am I being unreasonable? I'm just finding it hard to be myself in a University that is too close to home and a University that my sister wants to go to. She is a lot calmer and driven than myself and would like to do the same course. But I want to be away from my family so I can separate myself from their expectations of me. I would have to stay home for another year, listen to people saying that I dropped out but I don't know if I can keep going there. On one hand, I feel like moving back to accommodation but I am scared that I will come back home again, unable to cope. I know though that I would not like to commute under any circumstances. What should I do??? I am just scared that if I wear clothes my mum doesn't like, she'll find out etc. Even though the majority of the time, I'll be studying. I just want to know that time's not running away and I will be somewhere where I want to be for 3/4 years. I might be being silly but its something that I really want. Dropping out is also a big risk so either way I just feel trapped. The university is great, it is just it's proximity to home that I cannot get over.
Reach out to your university wellbeing team asap!
From simply having a conversation with you to actually working with you to develop a plan to move forwards, they have a range of support services that will be able to help you.
Please do not suffer alone.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (430)
43.7%
No (106)
10.77%
I'm not old enough (448)
45.53%

Watched Threads