The Student Room Group

Can I drop out of English Literature 2 months in I ****ing hate it.

I picked lit because my mom wanted me to do it even though I hated it and hated it in gcse although I did ok in it. I wanted to do IT although it was a btec and my mom didn't like that at all and said I couldn't do it therefore the only other subject available was English and I didn't want to disappoint my mom. I thought I could do it athough I loved reading dr faustus and the 12 chapters of Dracula and the poems I feel overwhelmed with how much you have to do in the exam and I am so bad at writing essays and everytime I think about it I want to just jump in front of a bus. I honestly would've enjoyed sixth form so much doing IT but I don't want to piss my parents off and be a failure. My friend takes it and told me that it has a lot of content from gcse computer science which I did and said I'd probably fit right in and not struggle regardless of missing out on half a term. I honestly feel like I'm gonna a fail English and everyday I'm just stressing about the year 13 exam just sitting there with the paper knowing my inevitable fat of failing it. Please give me your opinion on the matter.
If you school/college allows you to switch subject then definitely change - try and say how you will get a better grade in IT over English and you are really passionate about changing.

If you know that you will enjoy IT just work hard and it should be easy enough to catch up on the content, not having to do English will probably motivate you to work hard in IT so I'd say go for it!

Good luck :smile:
It's totally worth a shot trying to change, do what's best for you
My opinion on the matter - bad idea to do a subject just to please your parents. Do what’s best for you. You might be a little on the late side for a BTEC but definitely worth asking.

Incidentally I dropped A Level English Literature after a few weeks to switch to English Language (it was more relevant to my eventual degree in languages). A few missed weeks made no difference as I enjoyed it so much, and I ended up getting an A 😁
If you’re willing to work in ICT to catch up it would be pretty possible. I’d say switch as if you’re not enjoying English (although be aware that timetabling might make the change impossible) you’re likely to fail AND have a horrible time doing it for the next two years. Just make sure to make the switch as quick as possible so you don’t miss any more stuff, maybe get notes off your friend to start learning the content now
drop it if you're not enjoying it and see if you can switch; i'm in year 13 and doing a level lit and can certainly say it doesn't get easier:redface: will be even worse if you hate the subject.

Quick Reply

Latest