Edexcel Route D - International System Watch

AwesomelyPsycho
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Okay, so I've been given my first 20 marker question, "Characterise the International System", and I've written the first paragraph:

The International System, or order, is the framework of activities or arrangement for the behaviour between states. Its purpose is to maintain stability and ensure that the international area is predictable and all those involved know the rules that must be followed. Like most systems, there is a hierarchy with not all countries having an equal amount of power, such as the US who is at the top of the hierarchical pyramid and the African countries which are at the bottom.

However, I have no idea how to start the next part of it. I've looked online and I can't seem to find a model essay (not necessarily for this question. Any question would be good... I just want to see how it's written).

I'm completely confused. Any help would be really appreciated.
liamb
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
First, there is a lack of Route D resources. My Wikispace has some: http://liambellamywiki.wikispaces.com/ feel free to use it.

Second, the International System doesn't actually exist in the sense the UN or EU does. You don't sign up for it etc. it describes how states fit together/ work together (interaction basically). The best metaphor (apart my doughnut theory) is to imagine being a bunch of kids with some waste ground and a ball. What rules do you play by, what game do you play, how do pick sides etc. who owns the ball, what sort of ball is it?

Now we start to find either the biggest kid (hard power) the most charismatic kid (soft power) or the kid who owns the ball [who threatens to go home otherwise] (control of vital resources) or the majority dictate the current game. Any one of these factors explains what the current system is and how the norms (i.e. rules) operate. There is no referee (no world government), the system relies on everyone agreeing what 'football' or netball etc. is.

OK, continue you like (at least as you plan your essay) and you'll find it starts to make sense.
Hope this helps,
Liam
AwesomelyPsycho
Rep:
?
(Original post by liamb)
First, there is a lack of Route D resources. My Wikispace has some: http://liambellamywiki.wikispaces.com/ feel free to use it.

Second, the International System doesn't actually exist in the sense the UN or EU does. You don't sign up for it etc. it describes how states fit together/ work together (interaction basically). The best metaphor (apart my doughnut theory) is to imagine being a bunch of kids with some waste ground and a ball. What rules do you play by, what game do you play, how do pick sides etc. who owns the ball, what sort of ball is it?

Now we start to find either the biggest kid (hard power) the most charismatic kid (soft power) or the kid who owns the ball [who threatens to go home otherwise] (control of vital resources) or the majority dictate the current game. Any one of these factors explains what the current system is and how the norms (i.e. rules) operate. There is no referee (no world government), the system relies on everyone agreeing what 'football' or netball etc. is.

OK, continue you like (at least as you plan your essay) and you'll find it starts to make sense.
Hope this helps,
Liam
We got some sheets from our teacher that has some defintitions on it and the paragraph I've written is from that sheet

Thanks for the website, I really appreciate it!
liamb
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The definition is fine, but for it to work in an exam you have to understand what you're talking about. If you do then expanding the paragraph would be easy.

BTW tell your teacher about the site and tell him/her to get in touch with me, it isn't easy being a Route D teacher and such people need all the encouragement they can get (especially as their students are the big winners ) PM me to get my e-mail.
AwesomelyPsycho
Rep:
?
(Original post by liamb)
The definition is fine, but for it to work in an exam you have to understand what you're talking about. If you do then expanding the paragraph would be easy.

BTW tell your teacher about the site and tell him/her to get in touch with me, it isn't easy being a Route D teacher and such people need all the encouragement they can get (especially as their students are the big winners ) PM me to get my e-mail.
He's an exam marker so i think he knows a lot Thanks, though.
Do you know anywhere I can get a 20 marker model essay?
liamb
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If he's an exam marker you're very lucky - there's only 3 of them in existence!

Models are good after you've written something yourself. Put an essay plan together or look up the examiner's notes for the question and then write. In an exam you won't get an exact past paper question, you'll have to improvise. Also Route D helps if you've got broad knowledge.

So my advice is: READ and make essay plans, then write and finally look at models. That's how I do it with my students.
AwesomelyPsycho
Rep:
?
(Original post by liamb)
If he's an exam marker you're very lucky - there's only 3 of them in existence!

Models are good after you've written something yourself. Put an essay plan together or look up the examiner's notes for the question and then write. In an exam you won't get an exact past paper question, you'll have to improvise. Also Route D helps if you've got broad knowledge.

So my advice is: READ and make essay plans, then write and finally look at models. That's how I do it with my students.
I can't find the past paper this question came from, so I'm not sure if it did.
I've kind of got an essay plan, but I still don't know how to go onto the key points. Is it like AS with the 30 marker?
liamb
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
OK, a 20 point needs to make at least three major points. A good answer (with normal size handwriting) would cover about 2 1/2 - 3 sides of an exam sheet, so you're talking about 350 + words. Too many papers I mark just don't say enough or repeat the same point. So try to write an answer - see how it goes - and then make any changes needed. Learning how to write a good essay is a part of the whole process. If you're asking questions and thinking how to do it well this early then I'm sure you'll do well.

It is probably in one of the early papers on Unit 4. I'll have a look when I've got time but I'm marking Route A A2 papers at the moment, so I'm pushed for time to look and scan and upload.

I still say write it and then improve it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (112)
38.75%
No - but I will (13)
4.5%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.92%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (144)
49.83%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed