applying for Art A level or a foundation year without GCSE Art?

Watch
FantasyAngel
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Due to my parents, i didn't take Art GCSE. I started thinking about careers and might want to do something related to art and design. Is it common for 6th forms/Colleges to allow for students who haven't done Art GCSE to do A level Art. if i can't take A level art, could i do a foundation year in art without the A level.
i'm in year 10, it's too late to switch as it is already the end of October.
daveymcloughlin
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by FantasyAngel)
Due to my parents, i didn't take Art GCSE. I started thinking about careers and might want to do something related to art and design. Is it common for 6th forms/Colleges to allow for students who haven't done Art GCSE to do A level Art. if i can't take A level art, could i do a foundation year in art without the A level.
Force a switch through it’s only gcse it shouldn’t be to bad.
FantasyAngel
Rep:
?
(Original post by daveymcloughlin)
Force a switch through it’s only gcse it shouldn’t be to bad.
Thanks but i have missed quite a bit, the block it is in is too full. They're are too many people taking the class is that block. Around 33 people. I don't think this is something i can force. do you take ART would it be possible to catch up? i have already missed a full term. Even the department head of art thinks it's too late. Should i try anyways? the worst they can say is the unavoidable No. If i could take art at A level without gcse then it would be fine.
daveymcloughlin
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks but i have missed quite a bit, the block it is in is too full. They're are too many people taking the class is that block. Around 33 people. I don't think this is something i can force. do you take ART would it be possible to catch up? i have already missed a full term. Even the department head of art thinks it's too late. Should i try anyways? the worst they can say is the unavoidable No. If i could take art at A level without gcse then it would be fine.
You’ll change your mind on what you want to do in a years time anyway
Aashamohamed
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey I've done a Foundation in Art and Design and they often say you must have done a design related course at GCSEs and A Level so i would recommend you push your school to let you do Art ( get your parents involved. that should tip the school off aha) . And I think if you don't have that Art GCSEs, they wont let you progress into A Levels. If you can't get into Art as you said its full, try another design based subject like graphic design, product design etc cos you can progress to foundation with that. You can catch up with last terms missed work. Stay after school , use your lunch and do all-nighters if you are passionate about it and want a future in it. Also call up the colleges/unis you want to do your foundation at and ask them would they accept you with your situation when you apply after sixth form ???
FantasyAngel
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aashamohamed)
Hey I've done a Foundation in Art and Design and they often say you must have done a design related course at GCSEs and A Level so i would recommend you push your school to let you do Art ( get your parents involved. that should tip the school off aha) . And I think if you don't have that Art GCSEs, they wont let you progress into A Levels. If you can't get into Art as you said its full, try another design based subject like graphic design, product design etc cos you can progress to foundation with that. You can catch up with last terms missed work. Stay after school , use your lunch and do all-nighters if you are passionate about it and want a future in it. Also call up the colleges/unis you want to do your foundation at and ask them would they accept you with your situation when you apply after sixth form ???
I've heard some colleges do allow students to apply for a level art without GCSE art. i'll think about it, my my parents really want me to stick to computer science. How do you think you would have found A level Art without the GCSE? my school does Graphics. Would i be able to take A level art without GCSE Art, but graphics instead? but graphics does not run at the same time as Computer science. I don't like computer science much, i'm finding it hard and i am not engaging with the class.I don't mind RS, i'm somewhat good at it and it is easy. My school does photography but that won't work because i can't switch out of history.My school also runs textiles at the same time as art, it isn't full but i'm not the best with textiles, i couldn't dedicate myself to all that.

what is A level art like, and i would be asking for a switch in november, it may not even be possible.
Last edited by FantasyAngel; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (644)
33.45%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (816)
42.39%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.64%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (87)
4.52%

Watched Threads