The Student Room Group

A level music-Kate Bush wider listening

Not going to lie...Kate Bush is a nightmare to study! Edexcel don't even give examples of what songs are relevant to Kate Bush.

So can someone please give me some 80's relevant works for Kate Bush and how they are relevant?
Reply 1
Original post by Neverland_girl17
Not going to lie...Kate Bush is a nightmare to study! Edexcel don't even give examples of what songs are relevant to Kate Bush.

So can someone please give me some 80's relevant works for Kate Bush and how they are relevant?

Are you asking for relevant Kate Bush songs, or songs from other artists that are relevant to Kate Bush (i.e. songs that influenced her or were influenced by her)?
Original post by math42
Are you asking for relevant Kate Bush songs, or songs from other artists that are relevant to Kate Bush (i.e. songs that influenced her or were influenced by her)?

honestly I don't know (ahhhh!)

I believe it's songs that are relevant to Kate Bush. I doubt many songs influenced Kate Bush within the 80's seeing as her style of music was very different from 'the norm'
Reply 3
Not necessarily 80s, but you could always mention any concept album/progressive rock band from around that time, like by Pink Floyd or The Who. There are a lot of similarities between the Kate Bush set works and progressive rock in general, like non-strophic structures, changing time signatures, extended harmonies, Classical or foreign instruments etc. 'Eleanor Rigby' from the Beatles' set work is worth a mention as well, for its incorporation of strings.

Tori Amos is one which gets mentioned frequently too (as someone who was influenced by Kate Bush), as does Peter Gabriel, who introduced Kate to the FairLight CMI. Gabriel's "Rhythm of the Heat" is pretty easy to compare to "Under Ice" as well.

You could always make links to other Kate Bush songs as well. "Wuthering Heights" is good as an example of Kate's early style, and "Babooshka" as one of the earliest songs to the use the FairLight.

Hope that helps a bit.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest