!I'm in love! Watch

TomTeeTom
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
went to the open day today and just was astonished by the beauty of the univeristy. I live in London and the differences are amazing. I had seen the pictures but the views just take you aback. Anyone feel the same.
Y__
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by TomTeeTom)
went to the open day today and just was astonished by the beauty of the univeristy. I live in London and the differences are amazing. I had seen the pictures but the views just take you aback. Anyone feel the same.
To be honest, I think the really famous views look better on the pictures than in real life. Especially King's Chapel is more like "well, hm. okay." when you're standing in front of it. All in all it's still a really lovely place though, you kinda feel "at home" when you're walking through the town.
generalebriety
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
King's is ridiculous. The chapel is a disproportionately large eyesore. Nice chapel, just looks like it should be somewhere else, and makes the rest of the college look comparatively a bit pathetic. :p: On the other hand, there are some views you kinda have to see yourself. I loved Cambridge when I visited it; I'm a bit desensitised to it now, but it's still great.
TomTeeTom
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by Y__)
To be honest, I think the really famous views look better on the pictures than in real life. Especially King's Chapel is more like "well, hm. okay." when you're standing in front of it. All in all it's still a really lovely place though, you kinda feel "at home" when you're walking through the town.
Yep well king's was a bit dissapointing. Too large and old. It was wonderful though all in all. I was dead certain on Oxford before, now i am confused.
epitome
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by TomTeeTom)
Anyone feel the same.
Yes, almost every day for the last 3 years!

As for King's...most of the time I'm indifferent, but it's REALLY special if the sunset is in the right place with the spires -- absolutely breathtaking. I've seen that view a lot, and it still makes me stop in the street and look.
epitome
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Actually, one of the great (bust also frustrating) things about my own college is that it's absolutely gorgeous, but not that many people make the way to it to see it. Even loads of people at this university have never seen our amazing gardens. I'd urge blokes to come and see the place, too, just for the sight of it (sorry, chaps, afraid you cant apply. You can hang around looking longing, though, if you like...:p:)

It's great, because it's like our secret. (Indeed, garden party this year was called "The Secret Garden"). But annoying, because it means no-one actually knows how cool it is!
Y__
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by epitome)
Actually, one of the great (bust also frustrating) things about my own college is that it's absolutely gorgeous, but not that many people make the way to it to see it. Even loads of people at this university have never seen our amazing gardens. I'd urge blokes to come and see the place, too, just for the sight of it (sorry, chaps, afraid you cant apply. You can hang around looking longing, though, if you like...:p:)

It's great, because it's like our secret. (Indeed, garden party this year was called "The Secret Garden"). But annoying, because it means no-one actually knows how cool it is!
I'll take that as an invitation to a tour of the Newnham gardens (should I meet my offer) .
shotgunkisses
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I visited on Wednesday/Thursday and loved it. We spent most of our time at St. John's College, and I adored the architecture there (apart from the Cripp's building - eww!), particularly the Bridge of Sighs and the entrance to New Court from the Backs. Gorgeous! WE had a great time at the Open Day too, met lots of friendly and interesting current students, and we were fascinated by some of the.. more cultured potential applicants. :P
Glutamic Acid
Report 10 years ago
Yes, I felt the same when I went for the maths open day. It's a huge difference from my current location, and the architecture reminds me what I'm missing it. I got there quite early so it was very enjoyable to just walk around and see as much as possible.
qgujxj39
Badges: 15
Report 10 years ago
Yeah, I was there, stayed in Selwyn, which was beautiful. The city's lovely.
Vickyy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I loved the city, but unfortunately the course (English) didn't really seem to be what I was looking for. It's annoying, but I think the course has to have priority.
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tommm)
Yeah, I was there, stayed in Selwyn, which was beautiful. The city's lovely.
:love:

Where were you in Selwyn?
Chewwy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
we need a skyscraper.
thanette
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I felt the same about Sheffield and Birmingham when I went-Sheffield was hilly and hailing; Birmingham was open landscape greenery...
qgujxj39
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by generalebriety)
:love:

Where were you in Selwyn?
Ah, you're at Selwyn aren't you? Erm, I stayed in the "A" bit I think, just to the right of the main entrance, a few flights of stairs up. It was my favourite of all the colleges I saw.
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tommm)
Ah, you're at Selwyn aren't you? Erm, I stayed in the "A" bit I think, just to the right of the main entrance, a few flights of stairs up. It was my favourite of all the colleges I saw.
Ah, they took you to the guest rooms - sneaky. :p: It is really nice, yes. Don't be fooled, though - for the first year you live over the road in Cripps Court, which is a bit more modern and blocky. Not that I'd discourage you from applying there, of course.
shootbangfire
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I know the feeling OP, I remember going to the Caius open day and walking through Tree Court and just thinking "i have to go here". Sadly I didn't end up applying, so there's that out of the window. Unless I were to consider reapplication.
epitome
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Y___)
I'll take that as an invitation to a tour of the Newnham gardens (should I meet my offer)
Absolutely, dude! Come right on in! (We should SO have a TSR picnic here...)
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by epitome)
Absolutely, dude! Come right on in! (We should SO have a TSR picnic here...)
I'd be up for that. :ninja: Newnham gardens are nice.
Zoedotdot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That's exactly how I felt when I visited the first time! It was a kind of epiphany.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (121)
39.54%
No - but I will (16)
5.23%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.54%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (149)
48.69%

Watched Threads