The Student Room Group

5 (sort of) A Levels

Hey. So I was wondering if it would be possible to take 5 sort of A levels. So basically over the past half term I have started my A levels in my original school I was taking Btec Double IT (worth 2 A levels) and A level Professional Business Services both of which I really enjoyed but I was extremely unhappy in school in general due to the lack of numbers in the sixth form (I had to friends and limited opportunities to make any). So in the seventh week I moved to another school under my principal's recommendation. In the new sixth form I am taking A level Photography, Cambridge ICT and Btec Business Studies, I am playing catch up for the seven weeks I missed over half term and was thinking I should also consider continuing my coursework for Btec Double IT from my old school as it is a stronger ICT than the new school. Opinions?
Don’t give yourself more work than you can handle, if you keep on your previous subjects then I guarantee you will not achieve the marks you want in all areas. I would stay focused on your new subjects, and doing the best you can to catch up for the 7 weeks you missed. But then again I suppose it’s all up to your judgement - do you think you can handle such workload?
Original post by itscourtchicks
Don’t give yourself more work than you can handle, if you keep on your previous subjects then I guarantee you will not achieve the marks you want in all areas. I would stay focused on your new subjects, and doing the best you can to catch up for the 7 weeks you missed. But then again I suppose it’s all up to your judgement - do you think you can handle such workload?

Edit: this isn’t to say you aren’t capable of achieving good marks if you keep on the five, what I meant was for the vast majority of people five a levels are too much in terms of time and willpower etc.
Just do 3. Doing extra won't give you an advantage when you apply for degrees and universities won't be impressed. In fact, they'll ignore anything more than 3.
Original post by aislingmoran
that's the thing one of the two university where I'm from don't take single btecs and I do have seven weeks worth of work for the old IT; I'm just not sure if I will be able to manage it with my hobbies but I do believe when I get on top of my work for the new school, I will go back to doing a limited amount at home. At my old school I was doing almost all of my work at school but my new subjects are more exam based taking up more revision time. I need to see how this week goes and I'll update yous on what's happening because if I have the willpower to catch up now I believe I will have the willpower to do the coursework for the Btec double IT. :smile: What do you think? is that an ok idea

Honestly? If it were me I would just go forward with the three subjects at your new school, this is much better imo. And if two unis you’re interested in don’t accept BTEC, then this is just another reason to just continue with the three new subjects (you’ll find many unis are quite picky about accepting BTECs).
Put all your effort into these new subjects so you can guarantee yourself in a comfortable position to be able to pick and choose different unis. You don’t want to be doing additional work on top of all your revision and homework - trust me.
Hey. So I was wondering if it would be possible to take 5 sort of A levels. So basically over the past half term I have started my A levels in my original school I was taking Btec Double IT (worth 2 A levels) and A level Professional Business Services both of which I really enjoyed but I was extremely unhappy in school in general due to the lack of numbers in the sixth form (I had to friends and limited opportunities to make any). So in the seventh week I moved to another school under my principal's recommendation. In the new sixth form I am taking A level Photography, Cambridge ICT and Btec Business Studies, I am playing catch up for the seven weeks I missed over half term and was thinking I should also consider continuing my coursework for Btec Double IT from my old school as it is a stronger ICT than the new school. Opinions?

As someone who did do 5 AS levels, I would not recommend it - it branches your focus more and it's harder to do well across the board because of that. I'd suggest doing 3 - 4 instead and allowing more focus on them - you'll likely get better marks that way, which is preferable for uni applications etc!
Original post by shadowdweller
As someone who did do 5 AS levels, I would not recommend it - it branches your focus more and it's harder to do well across the board because of that. I'd suggest doing 3 - 4 instead and allowing more focus on them - you'll likely get better marks that way, which is preferable for uni applications etc!

Well the thing is I did a subject called Digital Technology at gcse which is very similar to the Cambridge ICT and the Btec Double IT over lap as its all ICT and that's what I want to do in uni. And the photography and business both use computers. I now feel like I am talking myself into this so I'm going to continue catching up on my work now haha

why don't you drop double IT or do computer science A-level instead of the ITs I sure computer science looks more impressive than IT...
Pointless doing anything more the equivalent of 4 AL's and for the vast majority of Uni applicants anything more than 3 is a waste.

3 really great a level results are better than 5 mediocre ones
do three there is literally no point in doing more than that

you could trial the subjects you're considering and then drop the ones you like least

NO
New school and old school don't teach it and the only subject like it is digital technology a level and only grammar schools teach it because its so hard. And I went to the best secondary school for ICT in my area. It was compulsory to take an ICT subject at gcse
Hey. So I was wondering if it would be possible to take 5 sort of A levels. So basically over the past half term I have started my A levels in my original school I was taking Btec Double IT (worth 2 A levels) and A level Professional Business Services both of which I really enjoyed but I was extremely unhappy in school in general due to the lack of numbers in the sixth form (I had to friends and limited opportunities to make any). So in the seventh week I moved to another school under my principal's recommendation. In the new sixth form I am taking A level Photography, Cambridge ICT and Btec Business Studies, I am playing catch up for the seven weeks I missed over half term and was thinking I should also consider continuing my coursework for Btec Double IT from my old school as it is a stronger ICT than the new school. Opinions

It's achievable to do well doing 5 A levels, however takes up so much time. If you want to go to uni they only look for 3, and would prefer you to do more extra curricular, though it's up to you
New school and old school don't teach it and the only subject like it is digital technology a level and only grammar schools teach it because its so hard. And I went to the best secondary school for ICT in my area. It was compulsory to take an ICT subject at gcse

Surely most schools do Computer Science??
It's not a subject in NI from what I'm aware of

Oh ok then 👌
It's not a subject in NI from what I'm aware of

Some schools do offer it in NI, I know my school offered it (Larne), but not enough people wanted to do it so it’s not running anymore.

Quick Reply

Latest