Jadexoxoxo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’ve been planning on applying for internships in finance/banking for summer 2020 but I feel like there’s no point because I have an awful application.

I do maths at uni of Leeds and have good A level/AS level/GCSE grades, but not exceptional (I have all As and no A*s). I haven’t done any extra curricular except part time retail work for 3 years, and my average grade for 1st year was 52% I think.

I just feel like, in amongst hundreds of applications for internships from students who are on track for 1sts, who have 4567 extra-curriculars and better A levels, then there’s no way I’d even get picked for interview.

Applying for internships is so time consuming, and honestly I don’t see the point if I know I don’t have the chance.

But then I’m terrified that there’s no way I’ll get a graduate job if I don’t have an internship.

I’m planning to learn coding languages, and possibly start learning a language as a beginner then teach English in another country for a few months to a year, after I graduate. I feel like these skills might help me at least appear more well-rounded to a graduate employer.

I also HOPE to graduate with a 2:1. My main worry is having nothing to differentiate myself from other applicants after graduation.

So, in summary:
- Do I keep applying for 2020 internships or do I turn my focus to my degree and building other skills?
- Will building extra skills alongside my actual uni course help me be differentiated from other applicants for graduate schemes if I don’t have any industrial experience in the form of internships?
AnxiousGuy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i’m gonna bump this. i need answers too
Last edited by AnxiousGuy; 1 month ago
ajj2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jadexoxoxo)
I’ve been planning on applying for internships in finance/banking for summer 2020 but I feel like there’s no point because I have an awful application.

I do maths at uni of Leeds and have good A level/AS level/GCSE grades, but not exceptional (I have all As and no A*s). I haven’t done any extra curricular except part time retail work for 3 years, and my average grade for 1st year was 52% I think.

I just feel like, in amongst hundreds of applications for internships from students who are on track for 1sts, who have 4567 extra-curriculars and better A levels, then there’s no way I’d even get picked for interview.

Applying for internships is so time consuming, and honestly I don’t see the point if I know I don’t have the chance.

But then I’m terrified that there’s no way I’ll get a graduate job if I don’t have an internship.

I’m planning to learn coding languages, and possibly start learning a language as a beginner then teach English in another country for a few months to a year, after I graduate. I feel like these skills might help me at least appear more well-rounded to a graduate employer.

I also HOPE to graduate with a 2:1. My main worry is having nothing to differentiate myself from other applicants after graduation.

So, in summary:
- Do I keep applying for 2020 internships or do I turn my focus to my degree and building other skills?
- Will building extra skills alongside my actual uni course help me be differentiated from other applicants for graduate schemes if I don’t have any industrial experience in the form of internships?
You would get better responses posting in the careers section.

Anyway - yes you should apply for internships. You will get an idea of how the process works and hopefully get some practice at aptitude tests and interviews. You should work hard to improve your grades.

Learning programming languages would be very useful (essential?) for IT jobs - nice to have for other jobs. A few months of learning a foreign language is likely to be entirely pointless. Head to the careers office and look for their advice and see what employer and industry sessions they have which you can attend.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (352)
46.44%
No (81)
10.69%
I'm not old enough (325)
42.88%

Watched Threads