The Student Room Group

Judgy people on course (no friends)

I have just started my fashion course three hundred miles away from home and I've never met more judgemental people in my life. I am an awkward person at the best of times but seeing people legitimately make fun of me together when I am right there is kinda shocking and makes me just want to go back home. I have three other friends on the course, one that I feel is in the same situation as me where we have no one else but each other else and the other person I feel like just feels bad for me. I thought it was a stereotype for fashion students to act judgemental to people who aren't skinny, blonde and have money to buy expensive clothing but I guess I am being proven wrong. The person who I feel like is in the same situation with me and I were walking around campus trying to find our lecture room and this group from our course was looking as well. They were super nice to use when they wanted to know where we were but as soon as they found out we didn't know either they just blanked us. They started to whisper to each other and then when we felt awkward just standing there so walked off, they said and I quote "where are those people gone". I just found that super disrespectful and its making me not feel welcome. I am home sick anyways and miss everyone at home and this is just making me want to pack my bags and never come back.
Your there to learn. Your better then everyone else there . You really are. Just get through it. Things will adventully sort themselves out. Don't listen to what anybody else thinks.
i’m not at uni so i can’t really relate to the feelings of homesickness but the whole judgemental people part- woah. I could go on for days about the people in my sociology class, like seriously, calm down, just because i choose not to cover my face in excessive amounts of makeup does not give you any reason to be do judgmental & downright horrid to me & everyone else who makes that decision.

i sit next to them & they copy all of my work because they care more about their looks than their work so they’ll copy me regardless whether the work is correct or incorrect. i take a lot of pride in the standard of my work & i’m pretty sure they know this so use it as an advantage to them. whenever I highlight something, happens a lot, i’m very organised & colour-coordinated with my highlighters- they’ll giggle between themselves because they think i’m a try hard & a sweat kid. & that’s not my opinion of they think of me, it’s fact, i’ve heard the word come out of their mouths followed by my name :frown:

my teacher likes to assign groupwork forcing me to have to work with them & they’ll talk to each other rather than do the work leaving me to do it all myself.

so the point is, your not alone in your situation, yes, whilst i May not be at uni, i kmow exactly how you feel & i’m sure things will improve for you- maybe try talking to someone else with more of a status & see what they would advise?

i did this & went to my teacher expressing how i was unhappy & it turns out it’s not only me feeling this way by them. so he’s changing the seating plan to separate them all & hopefully that’ll be better.

hope this helps :smile:
Reply 3
The key in dealing with a set of people who are there to drive up their egos is to fuel them and then wait to see how they will eventually collapse in the end. Judgemental people like that are setting themselves up to fail in the nature of power for they invoke feelings of misery around others but want to try and place themselves high on the map. What usually happens in the game of fuelling one's ego is that the person's ego reaches their limit and eventually, they fall. They fall right through the floor to the point that there is no recovery. The best way to play this game is by secretly work under the map, strengthening your intellect and when they have collapsed, you come into the map.

I once knew a guy who had the biggest ego around. When he started going out with a girl, he flashed it on everyone and made it out as if he was the school's celebrity, he wanted everyone to know that he was "on top of them" in some way. Everyone around him simply agreed with him and treated him as a friend, any sidemen/followers around him would also fuel his ego to making it seem that he really was in power. Eventually, he turned to more hardcore drugs, was late to lessons, failed his A-levels, lost his girlfriend (who was actually quiet attractive, not going to lie) and he destroyed himself. He did such drugs and acted in this anti-social like behaviour to shine his ego onto others and would consistently try to better himself whenever someone pointed out his flaws. Everyone around him, including his close friends just shrugged it off and secretly kept their thoughts of his idiocy in their minds.

Nowadays, no one cares for him, no one mentions his name and he is gone. Sometimes he messages someone I know trying to come back on the map in our social circle but he has destroyed his reputation to the point that it will never recover. The game of gossip is all about the fuelling of an ego to validate other people's opinions about another person but also trying to gain some sort of "power" (that they see in their eyes) at the end of the day, however, the art of war fails. Why does it fail? well according to Sun Tzu, "tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat". You will find that these people have little intellect and thus, they have no strategy in their actions. They will end up destroyed in the end

Quick Reply

Latest