Best college for EMEL? Watch

Sharlen
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I want to study French and Hebrew. Which college would be best for this?
Derek_the_Sheep
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, only the following colleges offer EMEL:
ChCh, Jesus, LMH, Magd, Merton, New, Pembroke, St John's, Somerville, Wadham.
[EDIT: I got this wrong! See below. DtS]

All of them offer French.
None of them appear to have a Hebrew Fellow or tutor: LMH specifically mentions Hebrew; New specifically excludes it.

I guess Hebrew teaching might be offered, independent of College affiliation, through the Hebrew & Jewish Studies unit at the Oriental Institute: http://www.orinst.ox.ac.uk/nme/hjs/index.shtml.

All the Hebrew-studies staff there either appear to have no College affiliation or only a Graduate college affiliation, apart from Alison Salvesen, Mansfield , Adam Silverstein, QNS, Joanna Weinberg, Exeter (none of which offer EMEL!); and Hugh Williamson (ChCh) and Fergus Millar (BNC) who are full Profs and so won't do much tutorial teaching....

All very odd!

Best bet is to contact the oriental institute and maybe visit.

DtS
dinkymints
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Derek_the_Sheep)
Well, only the following colleges offer EMEL:
ChCh, Jesus, LMH, Magd, Merton, New, Pembroke, St John's, Somerville, Wadham.
Where did you get that from? I got...

European and Middle Eastern Languages
Balliol, Brasenose, Christ Church, Jesus College, Lady Margaret Hall, Magdalen, Merton, New College, Pembroke, Queen’s, St Anne’s, St Catherine’s, St Hilda’s, St Hugh’s, St John’s, Somerville, University, Wadham, Worcester

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under...rse/index.html

Altho for Univ you have to offer Russian or Czech, but all the others seem fine...
Derek_the_Sheep
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Weird. I got my data from the current prospectus:

http://www.ox.ac.uk/document.rm?id=307

On pages 146-7 there is a big table of how many do what subjects at each college. I just checked again (to make sure I hadn't read off the wrong line) , and the colleges in list I gave are the only ones currently having any European & Middle Eastern Languages students; 23 students total.

Puzzling!

DtS
RichE
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Puzzling!
Not really as it's not a particularly big degree (student numbers wise) - around 12 across the university and no more than 1-3 in most colleges that do EMEL and that number is spread over 4 years. So it may well not be unusual for no-one good enough (or even at all) to apply for EMEL to a college in a particular year.
Derek_the_Sheep
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Agreed. Possibly also it's self-reinforcing: all but one of the colleges with EMEL students has 2 (most) or more. So I guess that even though lots of colleges offer it in principle, applicants are going to places that already have students.

St John's, with 5 EMEL students, has more than 20% of the total. LMH specifically mentions Hebrew. So those may be the ones the OP might think about, first-off at least?

DtS
(slightly red-faced for getting it wrong. :blushing: )
dinkymints
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Agreed. Possibly also it's self-reinforcing: all but one of the colleges with EMEL students has 2 (most) or more. So I guess that even though lots of colleges offer it in principle, applicants are going to places that already have students.

St John's, with 5 EMEL students, has more than 20% of the total. LMH specifically mentions Hebrew. So those may be the ones the OP might think about, first-off at least?

DtS
(slightly red-faced for getting it wrong. :blushing: )
lol don't worry. I only noticed coz I'm a Mod Linguist and I know that we have an EMEList coming to Worcester next year and I just happened to notice that Worcester wasn't on your list...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 3 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
38.82%
No - but I will (46)
6.76%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.5%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (319)
46.91%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed