Need Advice! Should i focus on final year and forget about job applications

Watch
Ddd666
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
So basically my current average is 55% also under my belt had depression that affected my grades, redid first year and completed my third year part time over two years. Now in final of 4 year course since starting in 2014. I feel recovered now and a bit too optimistic about my future been trying to apply for jobs. I'm wondering if it's a mistake and sole focus should be on studying? I do study now occasionally but feel i spend too much time preparing for psychometric tests that i don't even pass mostly. I feel like i need to practice these tests for more weeks and most jobs close now or next month (grad schemes) and not sure if these grad schemes open next year... and i have no work experience what so ever .. and i recently picked up volunteering.. what do i do? Thanks
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Ddd666)
So basically my current average is 55% also under my belt had depression that affected my grades, redid first year and completed my third year part time over two years. Now in final of 4 year course since starting in 2014. I feel recovered now and a bit too optimistic about my future been trying to apply for jobs. I'm wondering if it's a mistake and sole focus should be on studying? I do study now occasionally but feel i spend too much time preparing for psychometric tests that i don't even pass mostly. I feel like i need to practice these tests for more weeks and most jobs close now or next month (grad schemes) and not sure if these grad schemes open next year... and i have no work experience what so ever .. and i recently picked up volunteering.. what do i do? Thanks
You need to drop the hunt for the types of job that require psychometric testing etc, ie grad schemes - you simply aren't going to be competitive. If it's realistic to get a 2.1 focus on securing that. If you are definitely going to get a 2.2, then do enough work to secure that grade, but start building workplace skills and knowledge by the volunteering, and by looking at non-grad-scheme jobs, and where to hunt in your sector. Make a LinkedIn profile and start using it effectively, use your Uni career service and build sector knowledge for your realistic target roles.

Grad schemes aren't be b'all and end all of jobs. They are simply bulk entry schemes, but often they are competitive. There are plenty of other ways to get a job after uni.
Ddd666
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)
You need to drop the hunt for the types of job that require psychometric testing etc, ie grad schemes - you simply aren't going to be competitive. If it's realistic to get a 2.1 focus on securing that. If you are definitely going to get a 2.2, then do enough work to secure that grade, but start building workplace skills and knowledge by the volunteering, and by looking at non-grad-scheme jobs, and where to hunt in your sector. Make a LinkedIn profile and start using it effectively, use your Uni career service and build sector knowledge for your realistic target roles.

Grad schemes aren't be b'all and end all of jobs. They are simply bulk entry schemes, but often they are competitive. There are plenty of other ways to get a job after uni.
Thank you for the reply. Yes my aim is to get a 2:1.... but i see your point i need to be strategic about this. Secure the grades first and prepare myself rather than this... im not ready yet for the job hunt. I will take a step back reflect and plan. . I was applying on the basis of having a 2:1 peedicted grade though.... but yeah im spreading myself too thin. I have to really focus on my studies, practice psychometric tests for next year and also i need to build my confidence and start practicing for interviews as well.... i will definitely halt all job applications
Last edited by Ddd666; 9 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How will you be receiving your results?

Going into school to pick them up (187)
33.33%
Receiving them online / by email (281)
50.09%
I still don't know (93)
16.58%

Watched Threads