"Half of young adults say over-70s should be banned from voting..." Watch

ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Retired_Messiah)
Dumb vitriol like this that barely makes sense is why the youth want to take your votes, grandma.

did you just assume someone's gender?

fixed your post.
Alesha1991
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No, don't agree. I can see the point that whoever suggested it was trying to make but it's based on some fairly inaccurate assumptions. Who's to say all over 70s don't care about the future, if they have children or grandchildren surely they care about their futures? Plus 70's not even that old these days when you consider there's more people living well into their 80s and 90s, some even older than that- also people of that age have contributed to the country throughout their lifetime so it would be pretty unfair for them to lose the vote after they reached a certain point. It's true that a lot of older people may have attitudes that are reactionary or behind the times, but not all do and it seems pretty undemocratic to strip people of the vote because you don't like what they believe in. Another issue is that voter turnout is lowest among the younger generations so I think if people want their voice to be heard then it's important they use their vote.
Marcus...
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Well isn’t that democratic smh
gbwel00
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ANM775)
this stupid forum won't let me quote or tag you but @glaz If we start stripping old people of their rights on the premise they'll soon die anywhere then where will it end?

Busy Homeless shelters refusing to admit over 70s because "they'll soon die anyway, and a young person could use the spot"

Murder sentances being reduced when the victim was over 70 because they was close to kicking the bucket anyway?

Old people are still people. I get how most of TSR and most of the 18-24 group eligable to vote were pretty angry with old people as it was essientially thier votes that lead to brexit, ..but these people are adults and are entitled to have a say.
Glaz
Glaz
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by gbwel00)
Glaz
I saw
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Retired_Messiah)
Dumb vitriol like this that barely makes sense is why the youth want to take your votes, granddad.
Hmm - making gross assumptions here. I have spent a lifetime trying to find a cure for HIV, spent many years in Africa, am now working to find a cure for bowel cancer and am actually not a granddad - I appear to have female organs.

Little bit more respect
jamesbarry17
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Glaz)
Eh I do agree with this. They're over 70, they're only going to be alive for what, 10, 15, 20, 30 more years at best? This is our world. We have to deal with what they do and with the turnout for younger people being as low as it is, we can't afford for all the old people who vote to make decisions that we don't agree with but we don't vote against. They don't have to deal with the consequences of their votes. We do. They're going to live in the world with the consequences of their votes for 30 more years at best and then they're going to die and no more ****s will be given. We're going to have to live with it for much longer.
A simple question I have for you: what makes you think you know better than a 70-year-old what is best for your future?
Glaz
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by jamesbarry17)
A simple question I have for you: what makes you think you know better than a 70-year-old what is best for your future?
Because it's my future they don't have to live in it. I do. Therefore I make the decisions.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Don't let old people vote, and young people don't vote out of apathy... Balances out, tbh

Election decided by people aged 30-60.
(Original post by Glaz)
Oh my god jesus sorry for sharing my opinion!?
Both God and Jesus are quite old, I don't think they'll like your opinion much either.
Last edited by Drewski; 2 weeks ago
Rock Fan
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Bless some of these people want the free stuff
CTLeafez
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Drewski)
young people don't vote out of apathy... Balances out, tbh
I thought this was a stereotype of young people until I told my brother, who will be turning 18 next month, about the upcoming election...

Me: There's gonna be another general election in December, so you'll be able to vote!
Him: Oh I don't really know any politics so I don't see the point in voting
Me: ...So do some research then...?
Him: Nah, I don't understand it all.

Actually lost faith in humanity.

No point Labour trying to lower the age to 16 to vote, none of the mofos will be arsed to turn up
Xarao
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by CTLeafez)
I thought this was a stereotype of young people until I told my brother, who will be turning 18 next month, about the upcoming election...

Me: There's gonna be another general election in December, so you'll be able to vote!
Him: Oh I don't really know any politics so I don't see the point in voting
Me: ...So do some research then...?
Him: Nah, I don't understand it all.

Actually lost faith in humanity.

No point Labour trying to lower the age to 16 to vote, none of the mofos will be arsed to turn up
So you're judging the whole younger generation, based on your brother.

And you tell me you lost faith in humanity :rofl:
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by jamesbarry17)
"Half of young adults say over-70s should be banned from voting on the country's future" - The Sun

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/102245...box=1572214274

To anyone here who thinks this way: please take a good, hard look at yourself in the mirror. You are naive at best; 'absolutely pathetic' is probably also accurate. I'm actually shocked at this, but I suppose I shouldn't be.
Assuming this is a survey of validity, does it not emphasis the reality that power and wealth in society today lie amongst the older generations? Politicians pander to the older vote simply because youngsters tend not to vote. Get out and vote this December.
1st superstar
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Glaz)
Because it's my future they don't have to live in it. I do. Therefore I make the decisions.
exactly
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by 1st superstar)
exactly
Not quite though. Elections are generally not for the long term future but for the next 5 years. Many 70 year olds will easily live to 75 and beyond. They are also users of many state provisions and therefore should be allowed to have a say in that.

Traditionally young folks don't vote. Rather than deny others their say, the message should be, get out and use your vote as you see fit!
CTLeafez
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Xarao)
So you're judging the whole younger generation, based on your brother.

And you tell me you lost faith in humanity :rofl:
Yes. A sample size of N=1 is enough for me to reject my null hypothesis and accept my experimental one 😌

^ this is a joke, like my previous comment.
1st superstar
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by heermeet)
lolwot? almost middle aged is like 45
i would consider middle age 40-60/70
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by CTLeafez)
Yes. A sample size of N=1 is enough for me to reject my null hypothesis and accept my experimental one 😌

^ this is a joke, like my previous comment.
This is a serious issue. Jokes are not welcome.
1st superstar
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Sir Cumference)
I propose that everyone gets a set number of votes based on this formula I invented:

\displaystyle \text{Number of votes} = \left \lceil\frac{\text{IQ} -  \text{Age}\times \pi }{\text{Annual salary in thousands}} \right \rceil

You may have questions but I have the answers.
welp my mum doesn't get to vote then...
jenhasdreams
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Sir Cumference)
I propose that everyone gets a set number of votes based on this formula I invented:

\displaystyle \text{Number of votes} = \left \lceil\frac{\text{IQ} -  \text{Age}\times \pi }{\text{Annual salary in thousands}} \right \rceil

You may have questions but I have the answers.
Do we round up?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

what's your favourite season?

Summer (13)
27.08%
Spring (8)
16.67%
Autumn/Fall (13)
27.08%
Winter (8)
16.67%
I love them all equally (6)
12.5%