"Half of young adults say over-70s should be banned from voting..." Watch

Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I feel like this is probably more of a lashing out statement than an actual genuine view. There's a lot of clash between the older and younger generations and it often seems to come down to a really toxic argument of "you're young and stupid snowflakes" and "you're old news, already screwed thing up and will die before x even happens".

I feel like a lot of these sorts of comments come more from a tit for tat fight than anything else and shouldn't be taken TOO seriously. A bit like when kids get super mad at their parents and say stuff like "I wish I was never born" or "I hate you". I mean obviously there's people who do have those views, but I expect its nowhere near the 50% this suggests.

And I can see why some people could think that it makes some sense for older people not to vote. It's naieve and very dismissive of their life experience and ability to contribute, but yeah if you get super blunt about it they are making choices for somebody else's world. I think that again a lot of people's views can be put down to naievity and making a comment without thinking much about it rather than having built a serious view on the matter. If you asked them to sit down, consider other points and make a serious decision I feel like a lot of them would say something different.

Also, who was asked, how etc? I sure wasn't asked about this. What if they sat outside a protest against the elderly and asked this? Of course its going to be stacked against older people.

All in all I really don't think this can be taken at all seriously. Its like judging the sportsmanship of 13 year olds by playing fortnite with them. It's just not a proper assessment.
Last edited by Kindred; 2 weeks ago
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by jenhasdreams)
Do we round up?
Yes that's what \lceil ... \rceil means.
theeetimdoherty
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
People should stop engaging in divisive argument and blaming every group other than themselves for their problems. Your grandparents aren't to blame for global warming, a stagnating economy and flatlining living standards. It's not like they got together and planned it, or even had much of a say in it. You need to focus your blame on the policymakers and "the establishment" who actually had a say in these things.

Any health electorate will have a balance of voters. Young people have a necessary role in advocating for change but the elder generations are equally important in favouring moderation and conserving the status quo. Without one of the other, we'd get nowhere.
yzanne
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
Just watched that documentary by David Attenborough. Would you deny him the vote. He speaks more sense in one sentence than the majority of youngsters do in a lifetime
Wasn't it amazing! David Attenborough is my absolute hero, I have seen all of his box sets. Absolute fanatic for nature documentaries.
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
Hmm - making gross assumptions here. I have spent a lifetime trying to find a cure for HIV, spent many years in Africa, am now working to find a cure for bowel cancer and am actually not a granddad - I appear to have female organs.

Little bit more respect
Pot kettle scenario there, no? I was making a point, albeit poorly - The young aren't going to be so hot on older generations when it's the older generations wrongly characterising them as tech-obsessed narcissists then demanding respect not a moment later.

For the record I'm not for stripping the vote from over 70s, but given the state of some of the stuff that comes from older generations I'm not particularly surprised.

(Original post by ANM775)
did you just assume someone's gender?

fixed your post.
I never win coin flips smh...
Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by the bear)
yeah but no but yeah old peeps dont kno nuffink about climit change or nuffink. even there hips is plastic innit.
:rofl:
Cryoraptor
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
As someone who would broadly fit into the category of 'young adult', I find this statement to be complete rubbish. Even the most left wing, anti-brexit, remoaner, second referendum-supporting people of my age I know would not support this. People who actually think this should be the case are undemocratic hypocrites who just want their own way. Today we strip the voting rights of over 70s, tomorrow it will be over 65s, in a week it will be over 55s, etc. etc. until we only have one group who calls the shots. It's a step towards dictatorship and the people who have this view should not be trusted with any kind of power.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I think we should if anything be extending the civic duties and rights of older people. Jury service eligibility until 75 at least, allowing an older person who has remarried to adopt their step-children so they can be part of their decisions later on, to give two examples.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

what's your favourite season?

Summer (65)
32.18%
Spring (37)
18.32%
Autumn/Fall (51)
25.25%
Winter (38)
18.81%
I love them all equally (11)
5.45%