The Student Room Group

Can lightbulbs cause a rash?

You know those energy saving bulbs? I don't know whether its connected but Ive noticed that I get like spots on my face kind of like a rash when I use one in my bedroom. When I switched bulbs to an old one it tends to go away. My mum says Im stupid for blaming it on a light bulb we have them all through our house but I can't convince her to go back to the old ones.:confused:
I don't think so, no :p:
Is there really nothing else it could be?
no... The gases are inert so i would say deffinantly not
Roobagnall
no... The gases are inert so i would say deffinantly not

... what? That makes no sense.
PoisonDonna
... what? That makes no sense.

I think they mean the gases in the lightbulb, but it could the skin reacting to the light or something. I don't know, but i guess it's possible, given that you say that when you had the different lightbulbs, the rash went away.
I don't see why this is infeasible. It could be the radiation given off by the bulb.
Reply 6
I think your just trying to link the spots to something, and the light bulbs seem ?obvious?.

the inert thing just means unreactive.
Reply 7
If the rash ever persists for longer than a few hours, then you could maybe go to your GP and see what they suggest. Sometimes it's possible to determine the cause of the rash from examining it, as there are subtle differences between, say, a rash from sitting in the sun and one from touching poison ivy. Hope it gets sorted out :smile:
Reply 9
Why the hell did I get neg rep for this thread? Cheers you have taken my hard earned little green gems away now:p:
does eating white bread make your head hot? lol. my flatmate experiences this for some strange reason..
Reply 11

Well thats convenient lol. There you go
Yes, they can. Energy saving lightbulbs contain something (thought it was mercury but it's something else equally poisonous) and so if they break, you should never touch them with bare hands.

Perhaps you're sensitive to it even though it's sealed.

eta; an article from bbc http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7170246.stm
Reply 13
Ilora-Danon
Yes, they can. Energy saving lightbulbs contain something (thought it was mercury but it's something else equally poisonous) and so if they break, you should never touch them with bare hands.

Perhaps you're sensitive to it even though it's sealed.

eta; an article from bbc http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7170246.stm

Well yeh thats if they break but the wavelengths they emit are different from normal incandescent bulbs therefore they can irritate photosensitive conditions. Think it might have something to do with UV emitted by the mercury vapour in them

Latest

Trending

Trending