Applying for courses you don't know much about (but are really interested in) Watch

jsaleriaa
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I'm a very Arts-and-Humanities-oriented student, but I have some background in social sciences. I'd initially wanted to take Liberal Arts for all my unis but now I'm considering taking Social Sciences or History and International Relations in one of my 5. Problem is I'm not sure I have enough background and knowledge when it comes to writing a personal statement and proving anything other than sheer interest. Advice? Tips? Thanks X
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
As you can only write one personal statement, applying for different subjects is not recommended. You can't possibly write a convincing subject focused statement for multiple subjects, and for Unis, it makes it obvious that you are not committed to 'their' subject.

If you are intending to apply for one single subject History course (or whatever), and your intended major within Liberal Arts is also History, thats fine, but 4 x Liberal Arts/History and a 5th choice of Politics will look very odd.

You don't have to pick all your choices now. You could, for instance, pick 4 Liberal Arts choices now and then (if needed) add a single subject course just before the Jan deadline, or if you didn't get any offers on those 4 choices, you could even gamble on a single-subject place still being available in Extra and apply for that after Easter.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (213)
53.12%
No (188)
46.88%

Watched Threads