Leaving home Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I've considered it before but finally my Mum has invited me to and I want to leave my home. I just don't want to have any contact with my family at all, especially my Mum. Whilst she may not have beat me, she has put me through hell my whole life (I'm 16 now).

I just want opinions on whether I can still do well in life and kind of go far without my parents and if I walk out right now..

Also, what kind of things should I be taking (that can be packed into a rucksack) if I plan to not return again?

I literally have no cash and no bank account, but I have several valuable electronic things I could sell and possibly get a few hundred quid for.

Thanks.
Anonymous #1
Forgot to add that there is a homeless shelter I can go to for tonight.
Anonymous #2
Report 10 years ago
If you've got a passport make sure you have that. National insurance number/ any other documents eg brth certificate. Print out CVs now for a part time job to earn money, contact phone numbers (get all know while you still have internet), all clothes needed (warm!) mobile, snacks?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
If you've got a passport make sure you have that. National insurance number/ any other documents eg brth certificate. Print out CVs now for a part time job to earn money, contact phone numbers (get all know while you still have internet), all clothes needed (warm!) mobile, snacks?
Thanks that all helps, definitely. I'm not sure if I should just walk out or talk to my Dad and explain first?
atoms4peace
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
a couple girls at my college live alone in flats neer college. They seem to be doing alright but its a rough area. Sorry i dont really know what to suggest but i think they called the council or something. Just make sure you know exactly what you're doing/ where you're going to live/ have money before you leave or you could end up regretting it.

But first and foremost TALK to your parents. You may be able to sort it out
inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Talk to your dad or some other relative/adult you trust.
RoadWarrior
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Have you run away for short periods before?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by RoadWarrior)
Have you run away for short periods before?
never, come from a strict indian upbringing (not that it should be related)
villaboy
Badges: 1
Report 10 years ago
i would advise you not to leave, given your current circumstances. how do you feel about going into the world of work at your age? if you leave you might well have to work to pay for a flat or something. anyway my advise is go and job hunt for a couple of days, and when you have found something suitable get yourself a flat that you can afford.
Bear_Grylls
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
On Golden Balls ( :awesome: ) a contestant was living in a YMCA for only £20 a week, perhaps look and see if theres one local to you?
RoadWarrior
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
never, come from a strict indian upbringing (not that it should be related)
So do I, and it can be very stressful, but you should really talk to someone you trust about this first to support you. Grandparents, dad, siblings, close friends, anyone you can rely on for support.
Anonymous #2
Report 10 years ago
Thanks that all helps, definitely. I'm not sure if I should just walk out or talk to my Dad and explain first?
Deff talk to your Dad, you never know he could suggest somewhere else to stay, and help yo with arrangements, and what you need to bring.
Also if possible try and stay tonight, get everything sorted and then leave tomorrow morning, good luck x
Sapphire_Eyes
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Right, try to make it up with your mum, can you not attempt to?

Dont leave home if it can be avoided

If you dont leave, work full time if you can find a job, and work up and save up enough for a decent deposist for a flat.

Go to college part time, do something where you can get a good job for example, do HCA work or do that part time on the bank and do something like BTEC health.

If you cant then make sure you can sleep there tonight, and then in the morning, go to the homeless shelter or better still a friends sofa, find a job quickly and rent out a room so you get a roof over your head.

It will be really hard if you leave home now, college and work for two years and then with the money get a better chance to get a good place then at uni you move out permantly.

If you have to then take a change of clothes with you, a few t-shirts, long sleeved tops, any essentials such as pads if your a woman, jeans are needed, and plently of socks/underwear, also a waterproof coat as well. Take some chocolate too high energy food could be essential.

BUT PLEASE TRY AND TALK TO YOUR MUM AT 16 IT WILL BE SO HARD AND DIFFICULT
rummang
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Get a letter from your mum saying that you're no longer living with her and present it to your local council.
Anonymous #1
In terms of education, I do really want to do it full time, at the moment I'm in private education, but I'm confident I can use state education and be fine!

I don't mind working hard this summer to earn money and then par time during college from September.
SmilerNuts
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It sounds like you're rushing into this without really thinking it through and that in your head it's all gonna work out fine, when in reality you have no real experience and probably aren't prepared to survive for long at 16.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by SmilerNuts)
It sounds like you're rushing into this without really thinking it through and that in your head it's all gonna work out fine, when in reality you have no real experience and probably aren't prepared to survive for long at 16.
watch me.
SmilerNuts
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
watch me.
Just cause you're bullish and confident now, doesn't mean that this plan of yours is the right thing to do. If you step back for a moment and actually think seriously about it you'll see what I'm talking about.
wanderlust.xx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Smiler's right. Think about what you have. You've got a private education. Internet. Food. Shelter.

Weigh that against the hell that your mother put you through, and see which one is heavier; your mother for two years, or food, shelter, accomodation and an education for two years?

What exactly happened between you and your mum? Can't you meet half way; compromise?
U_Avin_A_Laff
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bear_Grylls)
On Golden Balls ( :awesome: ) a contestant was living in a YMCA for only £20 a week, perhaps look and see if theres one local to you?

did the contestant win or did they get stolen from. i luv that show its so fun watching peoples dreams being shattered by the steal ball.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (125)
39.56%
No - but I will (17)
5.38%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.33%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (154)
48.73%

Watched Threads