Change of name Watch

Carlo08
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Right, i just changed my name via deed poll, just my surname, as my parents married when i was young and i took on my step fathers name but it was never legal and now i have just changed it for my student loan etc... (for evidence as all my stuff was in my 'new' name )

Anyway .... My mum is quite upset about this (didnt say but she seems it) as my nan when she was alive got quite sad after my parents married that i no longer had my grandads surname and it was lost so to speak however my mum used to tell her that legally i did so it was all ok .

So is this my new legal name like on government records or what not? and if i want to change it back i will have to apply again? or do i just rip up the peice of paper and use my birth certificate as id again?
RoadWarrior
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yep, it is your official name, so you will have to get your bank/doctors to change it as well, and to change it back, you have to apply again.
Carlo08
Rep:
?
My doctors etc.. already have it as i have been using my step fathers name since they married....

Why would i have to reapply? since all you get is some paper to use as id, so couldnt i just throw that away and use my birth name
Bear_Grylls
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What did you change it to?
RoadWarrior
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, I did it too, just my surname as well like you and on the letter, it says if you want to change it, you have to re-apply :confused: I think it must have been changed on the government's database, or something
Carlo08
Rep:
?
Omg i thought there was only one place to change it :s i just paid £32 + £10 postage and then found out there is another website that does it for £10

Is this not done by the government?
RoadWarrior
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I did the expensive one as well, coz I wasn't sure
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (488)
37.65%
No - but I will (100)
7.72%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.79%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (620)
47.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise