Novice Watch

JamesBowater
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Alright guys?

I've always been skinny, like underweight, and it never really used to bother me.

But as ive got older i've started to want to bulk up a bit. I've being eating a lot more then i used to do and i have put on quite a bit of weight. I have mostly covered u my sticky outy ribs and feel better for it but i got a bit of a tum now, and in other bits im still skiny. I think i'm at the point i need to build some muscle rather than just fat.

I did go to a gym with a mate whos bigger built then me, but everyone just kinda stared and was like "what the chuff is a rant doing in here?"... and even if they wheren't i felt they where so i would feel really self conscious going to a gym untill im at least a more reasonable size.

What can i do at home, what should i buy, eat and all the rest to get towards my goal? I'm completely new to it all really so make sure you fully explain stuff, treat my like an fool.

Thanks
Lara C.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by JamesBowater)
Alright guys?

I did go to a gym with a mate whos bigger built then me, but everyone just kinda stared and was like "what the chuff is a rant doing in here?"... and even if they wheren't i felt they where so i would feel really self conscious going to a gym untill im at least a more reasonable size.
not now im not.

yeah id be asking that too. people in my gym usually workout instead of rant :rolleyes:

do us all a favor and use the search function.
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
what the chuff is a rant?

man up, squat, eat
JamesBowater
Rep:
?
What the chuff, as in like what the bloody hell, regional expression maybe...

I meant Runt, not Rant

I'm not a really too familar with the search function...
JamesBowater
Rep:
?
Just did a search, and cant find anything really about not having to go to the gym, and about general bulking up. i'm not saying there isnt, i'm saying i couldnt find it
burningnun
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you're not mentally tough enough to be stared at and judged you won't be mentally tough enough to get the last few reps of a hard set. You also need to be tough for other things besides the gym - things like life.
JamesBowater
Rep:
?
I'm mentally tough enough, dont worry i'll be fine in life. I would just rather do somethin in privacy rather than in public, with ignorant people such as yourself chipping in unhelpful advice. This thread was to ask for help, not for people like you to belittle me.
burningnun
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm mentally tough enough, dont worry i'll be fine in life. I would just rather do somethin in privacy rather than in public, with ignorant people such as yourself chipping in unhelpful advice. This thread was to ask for help, not for people like you to belittle me.
Well I would suggest that you should pick up a barbell, about 140 kg of weight, and possibly a bench.
Herr Stamper
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Have a look back through the forum and you'll see lots of helpful info on this page and in the previous 3/4 pages back. The search button is there for a reason. If you can't find any info using the search function then come back and we'll belittle you some more.
Lara C.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by burningnun)
If you're not mentally tough enough to be stared at and judged you won't be mentally tough enough to get the last few reps of a hard set. You also need to be tough for other things besides the gym - things like life.
if hes not mentally capable of finding this info with the search function i dont think hes mentally capable of knowing how to lift anyways :rolleyes:
burningnun
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I wasn't even trying to belittle anyone... the OP genuinely struck me as being scared to be in the gym. I am the last person to suggest that you need to be in a gym to gain, but you do need to not be a pussy. If you're already not a pussy, good for you - enjoy your lifting career.
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
why are people scared to go to a gym. Seriously has anyone actually been attacked by some creatine enhanced roid monkey just because they're weak
burningnun
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bebbs)
why are people scared to go to a gym. Seriously has anyone actually been attacked by some creatine enhanced roid monkey just because they're weak
I can understand not wanting to go to a gym. People in there tend to be idiots, after all.
Lara C.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bebbs)
i hear that, my greatest fear is meeting a guy in the gym with crea-rage :eek:
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lara C.)
i hear that, my greatest fear is meeting a guy in the gym with crea-rage :eek:

once i took 40g of creatine in one go, went to the gym. I completly lost it, i mean this skinny 140lb guy actually wanted to gain some fitness! :eek: I walked over to him and smacked him round the head with the 40kg dumbells (good back workout). Alpha brah. Never gonna touch that protein though, anyone with protein in their diet gets serious roid rage dont you know?

I can understand not wanting to go to a gym. People in there tend to be idiots, after all.
I've never met anyone in a gym whos an idiot to someone else, noone cares about anybody else and if they do, they shouldnt be in the gym.
The worst I can think of in terms of idiots in a gym is the classic douche who doesnt know what hes doing, but its not like they affect you.
I know this wont be the same for all gyms, just saying you can find one where there arent idiots
Bmoody
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Bebbs, I love it. Reminds of this time I saw a skinny little guy get rolled by two juicers. Yeah, they were sucking on some overpowered protein fruit shakes and they bent him in half for lookin' at 'em wrong. He didn't came back to the gym again until he loaded up on a killer creatine whey protein mix and actually killed one those regulars. I tell ya, the gyms are getting worse by the day!
FluxC
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm a runt but I'm one of the few who actually lift properly and heavy in the gym I go to.

I was walking down the high street today and a huge beast dude who I see in the gym all the time was walking too (he's huge, the type of big where it looks like they are putting their arms out on purpose but really just have huge lats preventing their arms getting any closer to their torso), anyway he nodded at me as I walked past.

I feel accepted.
burningnun
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bebbs)
I've never met anyone in a gym whos an idiot to someone else, noone cares about anybody else and if they do, they shouldnt be in the gym.
The worst I can think of in terms of idiots in a gym is the classic douche who doesnt know what hes doing, but its not like they affect you.
I know this wont be the same for all gyms, just saying you can find one where there arent idiots
Last time I was in a commercial gym someone was doing crunches in front of the only rack. That is idiocy, and it affected me - especially when language barriers prevent me from asking them kindly to GTFO.
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Last time I was in a commercial gym someone was doing crunches in front of the only rack. That is idiocy, and it affected me - especially when language barriers prevent me from asking them kindly to GTFO.

haha, definatly would have warrantied some crea-rage. I love my uni gym, im the only guy who squats there, i have 2 cages and a rack all to myself
Zanik
Report 10 years ago
Don't be scared of the gym, yes there are going to be much bigger guys there wrist curling what you can squat, but don't be put off, everyone has to start somewhere, and these huge guys were probably skinny like yourself, unless they're genetically blessed messo's lol

Even so, if you can't tolerate the gym, buy some gym equipment, although you do need to fork out abit if you want half decent stuff, so you'll need money, I have a home gym with all the basic stuff, I prefer it to the gym because I'm a greedy prick in the gym and theres nothing worse than someone using your rack in the middle of a superset.

Again as stated, you seem under knowledged about building muscle, as already stated use the search option, but its probably easier going onto a muscle building related site and reading some articles for beginners, BB.com is a good example - treat it as the bible for muscle building and check out the forums. There is no point in going into a gym not knowing what to do! So read read read.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (285)
37.75%
No - but I will (53)
7.02%
No - I don't want to (55)
7.28%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (362)
47.95%

Watched Threads