Mikos
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So, of course in biology, particularly in the biological molecules topic , there are different types of bonds when different molecules are condensed. My understanding is that if two saccharides are condensed, it makes a glycosidic bond, a fatty acid and a triglyceride being condensed form an ester bond, bonds between amino acids are peptide bonds etc. etc.
However, I looked up glycosidic bonds online, and it said that glycosidic bonds can be between carbohydrate groups as well as other groups. It appears that here, the saccharide is the defining aspect of what defines the bond (please correct me if I'm wrong). So, what happens if, in theory, a saccharide is bonded to, say, an amino acid, or other group e.g. a phosphate group? What would it be then??

What exactly makes a bond a specific type of bond? I don't do A-level chemistry so perhaps that's why I'm confused. Any input appreciated
ifif4
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mikos)
So, of course in biology, particularly in the biological molecules topic , there are different types of bonds when different molecules are condensed. My understanding is that if two saccharides are condensed, it makes a glycosidic bond, a fatty acid and a triglyceride being condensed form an ester bond, bonds between amino acids are peptide bonds etc. etc.
However, I looked up glycosidic bonds online, and it said that glycosidic bonds can be between carbohydrate groups as well as other groups. It appears that here, the saccharide is the defining aspect of what defines the bond (please correct me if I'm wrong). So, what happens if, in theory, a saccharide is bonded to, say, an amino acid, or other group e.g. a phosphate group? What would it be then??

What exactly makes a bond a specific type of bond? I don't do A-level chemistry so perhaps that's why I'm confused. Any input appreciated
Sometimes, bonds form between two of the same kind of atom, like in O2. Other times, bonds form between different kinds of atoms or ions, as in NaCl or H2O. If a substance is made of different kinds of atoms or ions that are in some way chemically bound together, it is called a compound. Just as an atom is the smallest unit of an element that has all the properties of that element, a molecule is the smallest unit of a compound that has all the properties of that compound.
Mikos
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by ifif4)
Sometimes, bonds form between two of the same kind of atom, like in O2. Other times, bonds form between different kinds of atoms or ions, as in NaCl or H2O. If a substance is made of different kinds of atoms or ions that are in some way chemically bound together, it is called a compound. Just as an atom is the smallest unit of an element that has all the properties of that element, a molecule is the smallest unit of a compound that has all the properties of that compound.
So the type of bond depends which atoms the bond forms between?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.3%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.44%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (83)
19.58%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.43%
No - I live at home during term anyway (124)
29.25%

Watched Threads